Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZF571
I am guessing that the engine fuel pump can power through what the gen fuel pump cannot?
Well, the engine pump is feeding 460 C.I. and the genny pump is feeding about 30 C.I. So the engine pump is certainly moving more volume of fuel over the same period of time. Certainly both pumps will quit pumping when there is enough vacuum, I just don't which one would quit first.

Quote:
Just wondering if one (the ruptured fuel line) had anything to do with the problem?
It could shut the genny down if it was bad enough to suck air. Also, if it was bad, it could be a source to reduce or nullify the vacuum in the tank when the engine was running and the genny wasn't. It's possible the high vacuum could have contributed to the ruptured line.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Catalytic Converter

Sounds exactly like what happened to us when out catalytic converters overheated and clogged. When it happens take a look at the catalytic converter, if it's glowing red it's toasted. 460's are well known for murdering cats. Especially isfthere are manifold leaks - also common. The problem isthat once they cool down they will kinda work again.

We were on our third cat when we traded that motorhome in.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Did the 460 have cats in '96? Some pickup trucks still didnt. I know my '89 RV w/ 460 doesnt.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe

It was a 1990 and it definately had one. But I don't know if it was required in other states.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #19

Same problem with engine dying/losing power under high temp conditions. Unit was under dealer warranty-we are second owners. They did fuel pressure test and replaced fuel pump. NO FURTHER PROBLEMS.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #20

460 fuel pump

Have 1994 same thing happened early summer it was fuel pump in the tank I dropped the tank with two pieces of all thread was not that hard got an airtex pump from oriley looked just like the old pump have not had any more trouble it was just 3 or 4 pounds of pressure low but that was all it took in hot weather we was coming from florida to texas we drove at night when it was cooler until we made it home.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #21

Fuel pump

We have a 97 Pace Arrow. Same problem with the 460 engine losing power and not starting, sometimes after several hours of driving. When it was running OK, everything checked out fine. The problem was not the fuel pump pressure, but the screen on the pump closing in on itself starving the pump.

The screen on the old fuel pump is on the bottom of the fuel pump where vacum picked up debrie from the bottom of the tank which caused the screen to close off the fuel.. A re-designed pump has the screen on the side of the pump, away from the bottom of the tank.

The tank was dropped and a new pump installed and a couple thousand miles later I can say it solved the problem.

The tank banging happened occasionally and pressure released when the fuel cap was removed. It was common in the NW, but we are on the east coast and it hasn't sounded off. Leads me to believe altitude and temperature added to the ventilation problem. The suggestions others contributed are worth checking out.

It was a $2300 fix, but had to be done. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #22

Update: The weather has cooled a great deal here in Oklahoma, I have been using the RV every other weekend or sometimes every weekend for the past several (6 or so weeks) I have been leaving my fuel cap loose and have not had a genny, or engine problem since. Could be the short trips, or the lower temps, either way I am grateful for the insight, especially that of easywind, it's not often you get a guy of his/her intellectual might that gives so freely of it. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #23

The problems you describe indicate "non-vented " fuel tank.
new rigs vet through a carbon canister. There are electronic controls that open and close the "vent" through the carbon canister.
I ran into this before where a new gas cap (vented ) fixed the problem.
Although yours may be a problem with the "venting" system..
I would try driving it with a vented cap, just for starts. until the dealer can look into the control ckt. I hope this helps.. sounds like it is vacuum locking.. as fuel is removed, air need to replace it or a vacuum is created until no more fuel can come out. perhaps the hissig you hear is not pressure, but vacuum ( sucking sound) ....
Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #24

kb7uxe, that sounds like a reasonable explanation. I will look for the charcoal canister that is typically associated with a system such as this (at least my 78 FJ-40 had one) and hope that mud dobbers have built, or closed off the ventilation system somehow. I thought that my power mirrors didn't work only to find that the mud dobbers had for the most part cemented them in one position. Thaks for the input.

Tags
ford, fuel