Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #1

what could go wrong with manifolds.both of mine are warped and cracked.heritage warranty co. refuses to fix due to manifolds getting hot and warping,even tho my paperwork says exhaust manifolds are covered.don't know what else can happen to them. don't know what to do.company refuses to discuss any more.please help with suggestions. 1997 h/r endeaver w/460 38ft. tag.thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #2

what could go wrong with manifolds.both of mine are warped and cracked.heritage warranty co. refuses to fix due to manifolds getting hot and warping,even tho my paperwork says exhaust manifolds are covered.don't know what else can happen to them. don't know what to do.company refuses to discuss any more.please help with suggestions. 1997 h/r endeaver w/460 38ft. tag.thank you

Old 12-04-2005, 10:40 AM   #3

Hi John,

Exhaust manifolds on gas powered motorhomes has always been a problem, no matter what brand. If you plan on keeping the MH, I suggest replacing the manifolds with headers. That will end most of your exhause problems. If you just want to replace the manifolds, I have 2 pair of used manifolds in the shed. I'll be glad to send you a pair for the cost of freight. They are not cracked or burnt, but should be resurfaced before use. I live in the Kansas City, MO metro area.

95 Bounder 32H F53
Retired House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:36 AM   #4

that is the problem.the head is broken and company refuses to ok repairs.even tho my paperwork says that monifold is covered. they say not covered because manifold got hot.they refuse to discuss any more. don't know what to do now.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
Official iRV2 Sponsor

John,

I have dealt with INS. companies on this before.Basically what they are doing is illegal.You can either ask for your money back or hit em where it hurts and send a letter to motorhome magazine.They do not like this approach,they always claim collateral damage & deny coverage.We had a claim where on a Diesel Bounder the fan broke and went through the radiator,well they wanted to cover only the fan.The customer told the claim denyer,he would go to the FMCA rally and take care of it.They covered it!These guys try and get out of everything,dont let em!!!

Mike
Old 12-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #6

what they are doing is denying the claim on manifolds totaly saying they got hot and caused the warped parts. the only thing that i can think could go wrong with manifolds would be to warp or crack.what else could go wrong with them i have no idea. so if not covered why list that they are.heritage will not even talk to me,they will only talk to my ford dealer.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
Official iRV2 Sponsor

John,
What city is your coach in,I might know of a good shop close to you.You dont have to take your coach to a ford dealer with that policy,you can go to any shop.Manifolds don't get hot by themselves,so you must have a restricted exhaust.It all depends on what was said to the INS originally.They ask questions to slip up the service writers.I have had Heritage replace manifolds before,your coach is no different.You should demand that they talk to you,that is your right.How many years left?Maybe you should cancel your policy & get a refund,because they will always give you a hard time.If the dealer is trying to install new ford manifolds,that could be reason for denying it.Ford has jacked the manifold price way out of sight.We have a place in Texas where we can get new manifolds much less.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:45 PM   #8

as you can tell can not sleep worring what to do.tok coach into allen vigals ford to have alt. checked out,found it bad and had it replced.while there [heritage coverd it].alsohad exhaust leak check out.both had small leaks. heritage had me to approve teardown befor they would send inspector out to take pictures,so i apoved for teardown.ford also checked for back pressure found exhaust system is ok other than warped manifolds and cracked head on left rear exhaut port,found after teardown.this dealer has done a lot of work for me in the past and allways been veay good to me.i would not have aproved the teardown if i had any doubts heritage would not cover this. if i have to pay i will do banks or gibson i willnot go stock
Old 12-04-2005, 09:48 PM   #9

forgot to mention fuel pump checked and found very weak,inspector had to verify that also.[heritage aproved replacement]
Old 12-10-2005, 05:19 PM   #10

John, I agree with you: if you have to pay for the fix yourself, then you should consider going with the Banks PowerPack and Transcommand modification. We have a 16-year old Winnebago Elandan on which, two years ago, I had the Banks mod installed (less than 60K miles on the rig and engine). I haven't regretted my approx $5KCandian having it installed at the Banks head office in Azuza, CA.

Ciao,

Doug

Banks PowerPack & Transcommand
DougJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:29 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
John Welcome to irv2
I had a 460 on 88 John Deer chassis, lost both manifolds and a cracked head with about 15,000 miles. Driving down road and sound like someone short at me twice when the bolts snapped off. Had replaced under warranty first time, Tech screwed up and after putting on new head and manifolds didn't engage oil pump shaft correctly and drove home,broke down no oil pressure had to be towed back to dealer Ford had to replace with new block. That lasted until out of warranty, when else. Called Banks and I placed new headers, trans-command never regret the switch. Someone still has coach on road.
If you plan to keep this coach the investment is well worth the money. Banks techs will help you if you run into any problems installing sys.
I had 3 v-10's after 460, had Banks put on all of them, never had a problem with them. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:47 PM   #12

I had the same problem. The head on the right bank (looking at it from the rear of the engine) where the cross-over pipe joined the exhaust, would develop a leak that you could hear when it was cold. After is warmed up it was fine. The first time is broke off two header bolts that were replaced. The second time, my mechanic used a racing gasket on the head on that side and never had another problem. The problem is simply heat. The 460 heads are metal on metal. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Hey John: I have a 97 34ft. Bounder w/tag and the 460. Put about 25000 mi on it before manifolds started leaking. Considered cost of repairs and applyed that to a Banks system. Never looked back. Noticably more power. Its like the 460 is pretty much maxed out when you hit that 34-40 ft. mark. To me power and no more worry about exhaust leaks well worth it.

05 37U Bounder Diesel
Buddy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:01 AM   #14

sorry for not keeping up but long story.turned out heritage has in fine print that if manufature has a tsb out on problem they will not cover repairs.ended up getting gibson exhaust system. i am very,very happy with complete gibson set up,lots more power and performance. dont know about mpg because it does not mater.gibson service has been great and ansewred all questions honestly.i am very happy with it now