Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Ford AutoTrans E4OD

I couldnt seem to locate a better place to post this topic. If I missed it I hope the ADM will move it there.

I decide to try seeing exactly when my e40d worked and didnt work on a steep incline in my driveway.
The grade is 20%( rise is 2 ft over 10 ft horizontal run)
Mark or anyone:
heres the basic symptoms of my E4OD .
Im stopped on the 20% incline.
I put the trans in "L"
1-sometimes I hear the trans engage. I can then easily drive up the grade.
2-other times I dont hear the engagement and the truck wont go forward.
When it doesnt engage,I can shift the column into reverse and then back to first and the trans will engage and move on up the grade.
It seems to "engage or not engage at random.

Sometimes D & L dont work at the same time and sometimes low wont work but Drive will.
Putting the trans in reverse usually gets both working again until i stop and it may or may not work. Its all very random like that

With what Ive described what do you think the problem could be?
I am trying to make an appointment at a trans rebuild place ,thats 45 miles away ,so they can look at it and see if its a quick fix or a $2800+ rebuild.
Hope theyre honest !
The trans place was recommended to me by a mechanic Ive been satisfied with on 6 repair jobs Ive had on other vehicles. Asking my mechanic and members here is probably the best I can do.

PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Been there and done that with my E04D in my pickup truck. If there is anything wrong internally then you will get a check engine light and a code dropped. I had no check eng light but mine sometimes would go into the correct gear, sometime would feel like it went into neutral for a fraction of a second and also sometimes shift real hard. I could get it rebuilt with a new converter for $1800 but took it into Ford and they did a check on it and said it was the $25 switch that the gear shift cable attaches to on the side of the tranny. It is not checked by the computer so no check engine light also they are a high failure item. I changed it myself and have put 50K miles on it since with no problems.

That switch is what tells it what gear to go into. Sure sounds like your problem. The other thing is to check the adjustment of the cable to that switch.

Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
If that doesn't work, contact Brian. Here is the link. They know E4OD's and are highly regarded in all the diesel forums. Brians Truck Shop
2008 Mobile Suites RE3/2004 F450 Chassis Cab
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote