Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2006, 02:25 AM   #1

I printed Frank Bauer's post regarding removing the parking brake assembly to replace the brake linings, great information.
My unit does not show signs of fluid leak and does not contribute to driveline vibration. I know my problem is the shoes are worn out and there is no adjustment left.
I have not been able to find an exploded parts diagram so I have no idea what is inside the unit and what sequence the parts go together. Ford no longer sells replacement parts but from previous experience I know linings can be replaced at clutch and/or brake repair shops.
All I need to do is replace the linings and turn the drum, can that be done from the driveshaft end without having to pull the unit?
If anyone has an exploded parts diagram I would be most grateful for a copy.
Thanks.
Don

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2006, 02:25 AM   #2

I printed Frank Bauer's post regarding removing the parking brake assembly to replace the brake linings, great information.
My unit does not show signs of fluid leak and does not contribute to driveline vibration. I know my problem is the shoes are worn out and there is no adjustment left.
I have not been able to find an exploded parts diagram so I have no idea what is inside the unit and what sequence the parts go together. Ford no longer sells replacement parts but from previous experience I know linings can be replaced at clutch and/or brake repair shops.
All I need to do is replace the linings and turn the drum, can that be done from the driveshaft end without having to pull the unit?
If anyone has an exploded parts diagram I would be most grateful for a copy.
Thanks.
Don

Savannah, GA
Old 07-12-2006, 05:07 AM   #3

I discussed the exploded parts diagram with a parts guy at a Ford truck shop. Interesting, there is no exploded parts diagram for the stripped chassis but there is for the commercial truck. I guess Ford thinks Motorhome people can afford a new unit for over $1,000.00 and truck owners could only afford to have theirs repaired.
After I disassembled the unit I went to a clutch repair shop and bought replacement shoes for $38.00 instead of $180.00 at the Ford parts shop. I went back to the Ford truck garage and bought a new front gasket for $8.00. My total material cost was $46.00. I had already determined that the drum, bearing and seals were OK.

Savannah, GA