Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2005, 06:15 AM   #1

We have a 2000 National RV 34 ft. MH (43,000 miles) with a Ford V -10 6.8 liter engine. My 2000 Ford service manual recommends 5W30. I have been using 5W30 Mobile One motor oil. I called the Ford RV Motor Home Assistance line on another matter. During the conversation, the topic of motor oil came up. Now Ford recommends using 5W20 synthetic blend instead of a full synthetic such as Mobile One.
Has anyone else encountered this situation?

Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2005, 06:15 AM   #2

We have a 2000 National RV 34 ft. MH (43,000 miles) with a Ford V -10 6.8 liter engine. My 2000 Ford service manual recommends 5W30. I have been using 5W30 Mobile One motor oil. I called the Ford RV Motor Home Assistance line on another matter. During the conversation, the topic of motor oil came up. Now Ford recommends using 5W20 synthetic blend instead of a full synthetic such as Mobile One.
Has anyone else encountered this situation?

Old 05-18-2005, 06:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
It is my understanding that when Ford beafed up the V10 in '01 or '02, they went to the 5W20 synthetic. I thought they still recommended the 5W30 for your engine. I would check with some Ford garages that you trust and see what they say.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:17 AM   #4

Commercial Member

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Send a message via AIM to oemtech
I had a class C with a V10 and when I last checked with Ford about this they said 5w20 in my 99 was ok.
oemtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:59 PM   #5

Hi Larry, we also have a 2000 v10 and the owners manual that came with the rig specified 5w-30. However I believe a service notice went out to the
Ford dealers recommending use of the Motorcraft 5w-20 Synblend so I switched over to the 5w-20

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:47 AM   #6

Thanks, Cactus Jim for your information. That's what I was looking for. Since I do my own service work, I wasn't familiar with the service notice from Ford. It's a shame they don't send that information to the owners. It might have been published in RV magazines and I just overlooked seeing it.
Anyway, thanks also to all who answered this post.
Larry
Old 05-21-2005, 09:38 AM   #7

Ford recommends the 5W-20 blend because they want you to buy their's so they can make money on it- simple as that. No blended oil on the planet will outperform a full-synthetic of the same viscosity in real world use.
If you are going to change from Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic to 5W-20 blend, you'll actually be going down in oil quality and giving up high-temp protection. The detriment of changing from a full-synthetic to a blended oil is obvious- full synthetic protects better in high temp and flows better when cold. But the change in oil weight (20W vs. 30W) means that while the engine will receive approximately the same cold weather protection (both are 5W) changing to the 20W will reduce the high-temp protection the 30W offers. To me this would be unacceptable considering the stress and heat these engines deal with- especially with you living in Texas. In a pickup truck or car it might be OK, but I would strongly recommend you stick with the Mobil 1 in 5W-30 for your MH engine.

Best regards,
Dave

Spartan & 350 CAT
Catdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 04:23 PM   #8

I disagree. The hi temp protection would be the same in both weights. The only reason Ford went with 5W20 was to meet CAFE standards for mileage. Lighter weight oil will actually give you a little(minute) increase in mpg. You can use either weight, however I would stick with full synthetic. Better film strength,doesn't contaminate as easily, better heat resistance, and flows better in cool temps. I run Mobil 1 in both cars, both gensets, riding mower, and both of the coaches I have owned. If you buy it at China World you can get a 5 quart jug for $19.95. Road Dog
Old 05-21-2005, 10:39 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Road Dog:
...The hi temp protection would be the same in both weights... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too must disagree. SAE 5W-30 offers 20% higher viscosity at 100 deg. C than 5W-20 (10.5 cSt vs. 8.2 cSt) and a higher ASTM D-2270 Viscosity Index (158 vs. 146) which clearly indicates much better resistance to thinning at high temperatures and markedly better high-temp protection.

Many engineers insist that SAE 15W-40 is the best all-around oil to use in high-stress gasoline or diesel engines, and looking at the specs of this grade compared to others I'm inclined to agree. In any case, there's no way I would EVER consider putting a 20W oil into my motorhome engine- you might as well be running Wesson oil...

Best regards,
Dave

Spartan & 350 CAT
Old 05-22-2005, 11:22 AM   #10

I disagree again. Do not confuse viscosity with lubricity. Just because an oil is thicker, doesn't mean it has better lubricating properties. These properties are determined by what goes into the oil i.e. additives, etc. The same thing goes for film strength. Also Ford is not about to recommend an oil that would break down and cause engine failures. You could imagine the warantee problems they would incur.In car racing there are oils called "qualifying oils" that are O,OO,OOO,and OOOO weight(known as Quadzilla). Mighty thin oil but the lubricating properties and film strength keep them from failing, not the viscosity. Road Dog
Old 05-22-2005, 12:14 PM   #11

Thanks for the feedback. It really gives all of us something to think about. #1: Ford started out recommending 5W30; then in mid-stream changed to 5W20. Why? #2: I have 43,000 miles on the RV. My concern is now dropping back to 5W20. Will this cause burning more oil? It has been using about a QT. every 1500 miles, since new. I'm more inclined to stay with Mobile One 5W30, just don't know for sure.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:56 PM   #12

As I mentioned in my previous post, Ford switched to 5-20 to meet C.A.F.E. standards for gas mileage. I don't believe there is anything to gain by switching to5-20. I run 5-30 in my 99 Bounder V10 and I will stick with it. Road Dog
Old 05-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #13

Road Dog, I must admit that in 30 years as a professional mechanic working on diesel, gas, and turbine engines, I've never heard anyone who argued that a 20W oil offered better high-temp protection that a 30W oil. You are correct that lubricity is also important in an oil, but all things being equal so is viscosity. If the oil is too thick (very high viscosity or cold temp) or too thin (too low a viscosity or too high a temp) lubricity becomes a moot point as the oil cannot flow to where it is needed or washes out due to overthinning from heat.

Ragman,
In regards to the SAE viscosity grades, here's what the American Petroleum Institute (API) says:

"The low-temperature viscosity (the first number, 5W in a 5W-30 oil) indicates how quickly an engine will crank in winter and how well the oil will flow to lubricate critical engine parts at low temperature. The lower the number the more easily the engine will start in cold weather.

The high-temperature viscosity (the second number, 30 in a 5W-30 oil) provides thickness, or body, for good lubrication at operating temperatures.

A multigrade oil (for example, SAE 5W-30) provides good flow capability for cold weather but still retains thickness for high-temperature lubrication."

Like myself, the API believes that an oil must retain thickness (viscosity) to be effective for high-temperature lubrication. As evidenced in my previous post, SAE 5W-30 has 20% greater viscosity than 5W-20 oil, hence my statement that (all things being equal) 5W-30 would be a better oil choice in high-stress engines than 5W-20. (Especially when that 5W-30 is a pure synthetic vice a blended 5W-20.)

All I can say is that before you put that thin oil into your expensive engine, do some research first. Visit oil manufacturer's websites (try www.pennzoil.com) and/or the API (www.api.org) and get the data firsthand, as opposed to opinions you read in an internet forum. The data isn't that difficult to understand, and believe me- you'll be shaking your head in wonder that any OEM would recommend such a lightweight oil in a MH engine.

Best regards,
Dave

Spartan & 350 CAT
Old 05-23-2005, 06:17 AM   #14

What ever you choose to put into the big block gas engines, you still need to replace it every six months or 3K miles. That can get pretty expensive with Mobil 1, but Ford says that it must be done, and unless it has changed recently, GM says the same.