Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
I am toying with and idea that I haven't quite got figured out yet. I added the 7" color monitor to my dash to display the VMSpc software I run on the laptop. It works great and the monitor on my side is really handy. However, the monitor came with a small remote and a few extra hookups. Not being able to leave well enough alone, I'm trying to come up with other fun/interesting uses for the 7" display. The documentation that came with the display said that it would support a camera.

So here is the question. I've considered buying another color camera like my backup camera, only mount it on the front of the roof to look forward. The use would be for pulling into those "rustic" campgounds and getting a view of on coming bushes, branches, or tree limbs that want to jump out and scrape up my full body paint. Has anyone else done/seen or thought of doing something like this before? The little remote would allow me to switch from the VMS software to the camera pretty easily.

The wiring should be pretty easy, just route it through the front overhead cabnets, and down a window pillar into the dash.

So lets hear it! Does this sound nuts? Should it work? Why not?? I need some other opinions on this!

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I am toying with and idea that I haven't quite got figured out yet. I added the 7" color monitor to my dash to display the VMSpc software I run on the laptop. It works great and the monitor on my side is really handy. However, the monitor came with a small remote and a few extra hookups. Not being able to leave well enough alone, I'm trying to come up with other fun/interesting uses for the 7" display. The documentation that came with the display said that it would support a camera.

So here is the question. I've considered buying another color camera like my backup camera, only mount it on the front of the roof to look forward. The use would be for pulling into those "rustic" campgounds and getting a view of on coming bushes, branches, or tree limbs that want to jump out and scrape up my full body paint. Has anyone else done/seen or thought of doing something like this before? The little remote would allow me to switch from the VMS software to the camera pretty easily.

The wiring should be pretty easy, just route it through the front overhead cabnets, and down a window pillar into the dash.

So lets hear it! Does this sound nuts? Should it work? Why not?? I need some other opinions on this!

Sarge
Old 02-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
'll jump on your band wagon. The camera needs to look factory installed, not a bolt on look. Some things to think about are:
1. stationary view or swivel
2. wide angle lense
3. auto lense cover so one does not need to clean the bugs off to use
4. fixed focal lense or zoom
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Some good points Gary! Keep it up!
Old 02-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

My coach has a forward facing camera,it sort of resembles a top mounted winndshield washer sprayer and it is one of EIGHT cams I can toggle to on the dash...

I can view it from several different places in the coach as well...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:35 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thats cool Bob, do find that you use it in situations where there are tall obstructions?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:03 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I've toyed with that idea also. I was thinking of a bullet style camera, like my side cameras are. The Allegro Bus comes with a spotlight on the roof. I could mount the camera on top of it. I could then rotate it backwards when traveling to keep the bugs of the lens (and spotlight). Then swing it around when encountering trees. If I hook it up the the VCR I could even tape scenic drives. I occaisionally do that now with a tripod and a broadcast camera looking through the windshield. I have the Beartooth Highway and the Mount Carmel road leaving Zion. They're great to play at home on the TV if you stick your exercise bike in front of it.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
That's kinda cool too Mark. I did learn from Tim at RV Cams webs site that there is one important thing I wasn't considering. That is most cams on the market that are used for backup cameras have a "flipped" image. The camera automaticly mirrors the image that is displayed on the monitor. However, he did locate one in his stock that would work. It is about 2" in diameter and is housed in a water tight stainless steel case, and does not mirror the images. It even comes with a the cable/power cord for the camera. It sells for $179, a pretty reasonable price.

It sounds ideal for your application as well. I think I will make the plunge and see what happens
Old 03-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I mounted a second camera (like the rear with the cover) on the side of my rig to see as I line up with the hookups. Works great, I just hooked it into the second set for the existing monitor. Didn't need a second monitor, you should check yours for this.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:43 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Bob, I already have side view cameras that hook into all the available ports on my rearview monitor system. I would want to have the camera mounted on the roof in the front for over hanging obstructions. Thats why I would use my secondary LCD monitor for this purpose.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:54 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SargeW:
Bob, I already have side view cameras that hook into all the available ports on my rearview monitor system. I would want to have the camera mounted on the roof in the front for over hanging obstructions. Thats why I would use my secondary LCD monitor for this purpose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SargeW, now that is not a bad idea. Couldn't tell you how many times I've seen campers drive in and hit low tree branches, especially at night and with a low light camera. Not bad at all. You got me thinking now.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Yeah, that's my reason Bob. The only times I have ever damaged my RV was on the top when I either misjudged a branch or overhang, or just didn't see it. I purchased the camera today from Tim at RV Cams.com. Here is the link to the camera here

The camera is color during the day, and infared at night. It is water tight and fog resistant. It also comes with the cable and an adjustable mounting bracket.

It should be fun to play with too!! I have a few different mounting ideas so I will see what works best. For the money it's a pretty neat mod.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I checked it out. Nice. What are you going to use for a mount or shelter. I guess what I'm saying is what are you going to use to protect it? I have to find something before I jump into the camera. If I had that now I would just end up mounting it and then looking for something to protect it.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Did you notice that it provides a reverse image, so if facing forward could be problem, unless of course you mount it upside down.
oldcouple is offline   Reply With Quote