Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2007, 07:23 AM   #1

I mounted and hooked up the forward looking camera to my 7" monitor today. I must say that the install went pretty smoothly, but my son being there as an extra set of hands really helped. I wound up mounting it a little more forward than I thought I would need to, do to wanting the wiring to drop down into the TV cabinet.

The biggest challenge was getting the fasica off of the TV cabinet, do to some hidden screws. After that I just had to figure out how to hide the cable and route it behind some of the windshield moulding and down through the dash wiring. Thats where the extra hands really came in handy.

The picture quality is amazing, and even the night infared picture is clear. The view during the day is on par with a "panorama" wide screen. Although most of the documentation with the camera was in Chinese, the hookup was really simple. Tim at RV Cams.com provided all the necessary cables. At the time the camera is solid mounted and does not swivel. If I find that to be a need, I will look around for what I can find. If I get really bored, I probably figure out how to hook it up to the VCR and record the scenery.....

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2007, 07:23 AM   #2

I mounted and hooked up the forward looking camera to my 7" monitor today. I must say that the install went pretty smoothly, but my son being there as an extra set of hands really helped. I wound up mounting it a little more forward than I thought I would need to, do to wanting the wiring to drop down into the TV cabinet.

The biggest challenge was getting the fasica off of the TV cabinet, do to some hidden screws. After that I just had to figure out how to hide the cable and route it behind some of the windshield moulding and down through the dash wiring. Thats where the extra hands really came in handy.

The picture quality is amazing, and even the night infared picture is clear. The view during the day is on par with a "panorama" wide screen. Although most of the documentation with the camera was in Chinese, the hookup was really simple. Tim at RV Cams.com provided all the necessary cables. At the time the camera is solid mounted and does not swivel. If I find that to be a need, I will look around for what I can find. If I get really bored, I probably figure out how to hook it up to the VCR and record the scenery.....

Sarge

Old 03-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
So what is the purpose??? Drive by TV monitor???

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #4

Oops! I forgot that the previous conversation was in another thread.

I had came up with this idea when after installing a 7" monitor to use with my VMSps engine monitoring system. The main screen on the laptop is used by the wife for the GPS software. The monitor had 3 different types of hookups. How could I put these features to a constructive use?? I am on my 3rd RV, the first being a TT, the next was a 5ver, and now the MH. The only way I have ever damaged my RV was to misjudge, not see, or get forced into an overhanging obstruction.

That was usually a tree limb in a State or National park that was in need of maintenance. Once was a low hanging sign that I thought was high enough. In each case the result was usually significant, and always expensive. The camera idea actually was hatched when I had my 5ver. But then I did not have the means to mount the camera on the top of the 5ver and see the image in the cab of the truck.

The camera will specifically be used when pulling into camp grounds or other areas with questionable overhead clearence. I would rather back up and screw up traffic then risk damage to the MH. A quick push of a button will switch from my engine software program to the forward looking camera mounted on the roof. If there is ANY question, then stop and look closer.

The camera was pretty inexpensive from RV Cams.com. If what I have spent in time, grief, money and flustration in the past can be eliminated with this mod, then it is worth a hundred times the cost!!

Sarge