Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #1

Frameless Windows

What's everyone's take on the current model years only having frameless windows? Anybody beside me hate them? They are lovely to look at from the outside, but that ends the positive side of them. I saw a 2015 Entegra the other day that only has the bottoms of the windows tipping out, but I'm "lucky" because the ones on my coach crank out in such a way that the entire window cracks open. What that means is that right now it's 87 degrees inside, with the 3 exhaust fans on, even though it's cool and breezy outside! In order to breathe we have to out on the ACs. If you're less than full timing you might not see that as a problem, but it is. I asked a dealer if there are any manufacturers still using sliders, and he said there are not. Then if you have windows only on one side like me, you will surely suffer. Any opinions?

Eldora is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While I cannot answer your question from personal experience, I have wondered how they do in terms of providing ventilation. I have seen many new coaches with those windows and agree they look nice. However we really like the standard RV windows that open horizontally. With our Fantastic fans running, we can really move some nice air in the windows.

My guess is while they look sleek the real reason manufacturers use them is they cost less than framed windows.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Right now our coach seems to be OK. We were out at 80 on the weekend and only opened the windows (no need for the fans). Time will tell when we get to the warm weather.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Our friends have the frame less windows on their Fiver, they hate them. Inadequate ventilation due the small opening compared to conventional sliding windows.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:36 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We don't like them, but for a different reason. They do look nice but so far I haven't figured out how to mount our Kitty Kondo's in a way that allows the cats to go in and out through a cat door. On the side sliding ones we have now it's not a problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is only one "plus" that I know of. Rain - if you live in an area with lots of rain they would be better. It is just another one of those "look what great improvements we made" when in reality they are cheaper. 2015 Challengers are touted as having ability to fill gas from both sides - but the rear end gas fill means you will have to be very selective in the gas stations you use.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #7

Are the frameless windows dual pane?

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Are the frameless windows dual pane?

Chris
According to on line adds, Yes.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:35 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Frameless Windows

So I wonder if we with framed windows will face challenges finding replacements in the future. Of course I already have the challenge of having double pane trapezoid shaped tinted windows. .

Personally, I love how the fantastic fan and cracking open the sliders makes for excellent airflow.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
So I wonder if we with framed windows will face challenges finding replacements in the future. Of course I already have the challenge of having double pane trapezoid shaped tinted windows. .

Personally, I love how the fantastic fan and cracking open the sliders makes for excellent airflow.
Even if you could not find replacements, as long as your frames are still usable there are plenty of places to get replacement glass. When we recently had RV Fog Doctor repair our fogged double pane windows, they indicated they could replace the glass if necessary (there was a several day wait for the tempered glass required in vehicles).
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Am I the only one that misses the old jealousy window design all RVs had 30 years ago?
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Am I the only one that misses the old jealousy window design all RVs had 30 years ago?
Let's see;
Advantages: full window ventilation
Disadvantages: Poor insulators
Easy to break into
Great way to cut yourself when walking by

So, No

falconman is offline   Reply With Quote