Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freedom SW 3012 Inverter Question

Hi all,

We've been unpacking and winterizing the motorhome this past week and the last time I backed it into the building, I forgot to plug in to shore power. So my husband noticed it today and plugged it in. The house batteries were completely discharged. I had him check the water levels too. A couple of cells were a little low, but not bad. So back in August, we had a new sine wave inverter installed, the 3012 from Xantrex. I have not done due diligence and read the entire manual, but quite a bit of it so far. So here is the problem. The inverter's charging light is blinking, like it should be. BUT the transfer switch is clicking off/on, or on/off, however you look at it. A few minor things are on in the motorhome, like the red light on a tv, the microwave clock is blinking. BUT the System Control Panel is dead, no display at all. When you turn a light on, they blink with the transfer switch clicking, so don't really come on, just blink. Did I kill my batteries by letting them get so discharged the inverter can't charge them? Oh, and I tried to start the generator and it isn't getting any juice. I would have thought it should be hooked up to the engine battery for starting? And the engine does start and run, I tried that. Our shore power is only 20amp and has been handling the new inverter okay since it was installed. I just have to be careful if the charger is running, not to plug the vacuum in or another electric hog. Being that it's Friday at 5pm, I thought I'd post the question here. I was on hold with Xantrex for almost 40 minutes and gave up and emailed the question/problem to them as well. Thanks in advance for any input you can give us!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunesView View Post
Hi all,

We've been unpacking and winterizing the motorhome this past week and the last time I backed it into the building, I forgot to plug in to shore power. So my husband noticed it today and plugged it in. The house batteries were completely discharged. I had him check the water levels too. A couple of cells were a little low, but not bad. So back in August, we had a new sine wave inverter installed, the 3012 from Xantrex. I have not done due diligence and read the entire manual, but quite a bit of it so far. So here is the problem. The inverter's charging light is blinking, like it should be. BUT the transfer switch is clicking off/on, or on/off, however you look at it. A few minor things are on in the motorhome, like the red light on a tv, the microwave clock is blinking. BUT the System Control Panel is dead, no display at all. When you turn a light on, they blink with the transfer switch clicking, so don't really come on, just blink. Did I kill my batteries by letting them get so discharged the inverter can't charge them? Oh, and I tried to start the generator and it isn't getting any juice. I would have thought it should be hooked up to the engine battery for starting? And the engine does start and run, I tried that. Our shore power is only 20amp and has been handling the new inverter okay since it was installed. I just have to be careful if the charger is running, not to plug the vacuum in or another electric hog. Being that it's Friday at 5pm, I thought I'd post the question here. I was on hold with Xantrex for almost 40 minutes and gave up and emailed the question/problem to them as well. Thanks in advance for any input you can give us!

Your lights and other items blinking are probably because the converter can't produce enough power to recharge the batteries and run the house lights at the same time. The Xantrex is a heavy duty converter/charger, but it still may not be able to do both at once. It can probably charge the batteries if everything else is off and all it's doing is charging. They may be toast since they were completely drained, but a good heavy charge may bring them back.

If yours is set up like mine, the generator starts off the house batteries, not the chassis battery.

You need to get the house batteries well charged before you try to run anything off of them.

'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:40 PM   #3

Try turning the inverter function off and see what happens. The charging function should continue charging. If it doesn't charge, start your coach engine and run it at a high idle for about 30 minutes. Then check the batteries. The reason for this is that some (most? ) of today's sophisticated chargers will not charge batteries that are below about 10 volts. (I have an old dumb Sears charger that I have kept just for charging dead batteries. Sometimes I can bring a battery back to life, sometimes not. )
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #4

charging batteries

I think I would pull those house batteries out and put them on a charger and get them all charged up. If you don't have a charger, take them to a battery dealer and have them charge them, then they can test them to see if their ok or need replaced.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for your suggestion of getting those batteries deeply charged. After more investigating/reading/studying of manuals and this website, I had a great feeling that if I started the engine, it would charge the house batteries as well as the engine battery. And YES, what an amazing thing! I love this Monaco! We let the Cummins run for about 30 minutes and with that, the inverter was able to handle charging the house batteries after we plugged back in to shore power! Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #6

Glad you got it working.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter