Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 07:03 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Norcold 1200LRIM (?). Will I perform better with the gas or with the electric.

We are getting ready to go on a trip, I had it on electric to get it cold before packing, the freezer cooled down to 22 and then kind of hung there. I then put it on gas and now it is starting to go down further. I do have a secondary fan on the back that is activated by the boiler which may be helping.

I did check the wattage (volt/amps) and both the electric heaters were putting out 225 watts, which is what they are suppose to do.

I have put a separate temp monitor in the freezer and frig to keep an eye on it.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It's true that food deteriorates much more quickly at 10 F. than at 0 or -10. But few people store food very long in an RV fridge, so the difference is maybe not crucial. Except for the ice cream hardness, that is.

My Norcold 1200 will maintain zero or less without working hard, so I'm ok. And it also automatically defrosts the fins in the fridge every 47 hours. That lets the freezer temp come up a bit higher than I like for a few hours, though.
Well Gary that depends. If you live in your RV fulltime in Arizona for four months during the winter season, then you count on your rv fridge to work as good as your residential fridge. Medications and such that require refrigeration can make all the difference.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Update

After reading the above responses, I decided to use 2 thermometers, put one on the top shelve which is the cooling fin/shelf and one on the bottom. The next morning when I checked it, the top thermometer read 0˚ and the bottom shelf read 19˚. The ice cube container fits the whole shelf below the ice maker and does not leave much room for air passage. This could be some of my problem. Maybe I need to monitor the temp from the top shelf which is solid metal part of the cooling fin.

When everyone monitors their freezer temp, where do you place your thermometer? Thanks Again........
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMudstud View Post
After reading the above responses, I decided to use 2 thermometers, put one on the top shelve which is the cooling fin/shelf and one on the bottom. The next morning when I checked it, the top thermometer read 0˚ and the bottom shelf read 19˚. The ice cube container fits the whole shelf below the ice maker and does not leave much room for air passage. This could be some of my problem. Maybe I need to monitor the temp from the top shelf which is solid metal part of the cooling fin.

When everyone monitors their freezer temp, where do you place your thermometer? Thanks Again........
Do you have a small refrigerator fan that helps move the cold air around inside? I use one all the time, not sure it helps but it can't hurt.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Do you have a small refrigerator fan that helps move the cold air around inside?
Quote:
I did what was asked to put the thermometer in a glass of water. Also, turned the fan on inside under the cooler fins. The temp inside the frig was the same 38-39˚.
Thanks again for all the help.
Yes I do, but again I am checking it in the morning before it gets too hot.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Well last night I moved the thermometer from under the left side of the ice maker and moved to the right about 7" where it has more area to get some surrounded air. Normally is runs around 16˚ to the left of the ice maker, but this morning it was around 9˚-10˚.

So I checked 4 areas in the freezer, top shelf was 0˚, in the middle left 16˚ middle right 10˚ and on bottom shelf near the door was 19˚. My problem with the freezer is it is only about 10" wide and with the ice bucket as wide as the width of the freezer, not much air is circulated around. So all this time I'm thinking it could be colder, and yet the idiot who is checking the temp hasn't got a clue what the heck he is doing. Who would imagine I would miss something so simple, by moving the gauge to a better spot.. I was simply thinking the temp would even out over the 24 hours and it would be close to the same. And I though I knew it all...........
So, I think I answered my question with the help of my fellow campers. Thanks Again to all for your help.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:02 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Well we went for a ~4 day trip and I monitored the temps in the freezer and refrigerator during our outing.

The sensor was located on the upper shelf in the ice maker compartment of the freezer. It hung around 14-18 F the whole weekend. The refrigerator was between 41-45F.

Is there anything I can do to improve performance?

I plan on blowing out the flue where the burner is. I will also check the resistance on the heaters, I did check the wattage and they were both ~225 watt but I want to check the resistance to make sure they are good.

I will also use compressed air to blow off the back cooling unit.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:27 AM   #22

The electric heaters can say 225 watts but unless you can check the actual voltage at the heater along with the current draw you may not get a correct wattage calculation. Resistance and voltage while running might get you in the ball park with OHMS Law.

I just ran my 39 yr old refer empty with outside temp 90 degrees 25% humid and the box inside stayed 32-33 degrees with the fan running inside. The freezer IR'd at 5 empty.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
The sensor was located on the upper shelf in the ice maker compartment of the freezer. It hung around 14-18 F the whole weekend. The refrigerator was between 41-45F. Is there anything I can do to improve performance?
You don't say what make of unit you have. On my Dometic, I moved the temp probe higher on my coils inside of the frig. The higher the prob, the cooler the frig.
Having a fan on top of the outside coils blowing up will help move the heat.
On my unit, the frig is 1.5" from the RV outside wall, and lot of air was passing near the wall and not by/thru the heating coils. So I made a round 2" closed cell tube and wrapped it 3 times with aluminum foil to keep from burning, and stuffed it between the frig and outside wall. (The closed cell would not burn when I tried to set on fire) Now the air is forced to pass thru the coils and have a better chance to remove the heat.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #24

Yes again I check the fridge temp in my Dometic. It registers at about 39.2 F degrees after the fridge door is not opened all night. My home fridge is about 39.4 F. About 39 F degrees seems to be a very common temperature.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
My refer is a Norcold 1200 LMIR

I did check each of the heaters using a clamp on amp meter on one lead then multiplied by the voltage (Ohms Law), both heaters came in at 225 watts.

I do have an extra fan installed behind the refer.

I will move the sensor in the refrigerator, that may help as I did notice that the coils were freezing up. Is there a separate sensor for the freezer, how is the cooling controlled there?

I did remove the bottom sheet metal piece around the burner and took compressed air and blew out the flew. I also used compressed air to blow off the cooling unit on the back of the refer.

Maybe the performance will improve. We are taking another trip in a week.