Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2005, 04:02 PM   #1

I have a Dometic refrigerator freezer in my Fleetwood Montara and the freezer is toasty cold but the refrigerator is at 59.4 degrees even with seven pounds of ice in it.

I checked the door for good sealing and found a small spot on the top that I fixed with duct tape. I have tryed using propane and electric and the results are the same: the refrigerator portion just does not get cold.

Any suggestions?

David/zetron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2005, 04:02 PM   #2

I have a Dometic refrigerator freezer in my Fleetwood Montara and the freezer is toasty cold but the refrigerator is at 59.4 degrees even with seven pounds of ice in it.

I checked the door for good sealing and found a small spot on the top that I fixed with duct tape. I have tryed using propane and electric and the results are the same: the refrigerator portion just does not get cold.

Any suggestions?

David/zetron

Old 06-15-2005, 11:32 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You may have a bad cooling unit. First make certain that the venting of the back side of the ref. is good (no restrictions like a bird nest or anything). If you can get a temperature reading of the vertical tube about 6" from the bottom and of the horizontal tubes they should be the same if not then your cooling unit is either leaking refrigeant (horizontal tubes hotter) or the unit has a restriction (vertical - boiler or generator is hotter); either of which will require a new cooling unit at the least. Based on the age and condition it might be more adventagous to replace the entire refrigerator.
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some additional info would help - what year and model is the fridge?

How is the fridge loaded, i.e. is it empty, full or somewhere in between. Are things packed around the cooling fins (in the fridge, not those outside and behind)? It is surprising how warm the fridge can get when air cannot circulate around the fins easily.

There is usually a thermocouple clipped to the fins somewhere. Can you describe the position of it? Have you tried moving it a bit?
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #5

RM 2652 an Americana.

Thanks for the info guys.

I switched it over to 120 AC and the fins inside the refrigerator got cold. The freezer remained cold.

I have since switched it back to propane and the temperature in the refrigerator is rising, the freezer is OK.

I switched back to 120 AC and will watch the temperatures again.

I found that clip in the water resivoir under the fins in the refrigerator several days ago. I cliped it to that plastic thing and attached it back to the last fin on the right side. The probe thingy is not toching the metal of the fin.

What is this probe thingy suppose to do? Where should it be postioned?

I have added a CPU cooler fan unit to the inside of the refrigerator. It blows on the metal fins in the back. It is powered by a miniscule amount of current from the refrigerator light (wired in before the door switch). If the frige was working I guess this CPU cooler would help it along?

I need the dang refrigerator to work so IU can get some 40 degree water for my 'handy dandy solar DC ice maker'. I have a 4X6 inch finned Peltier heatpump unit with a fan on the top and an insulated tray of water under the cold fins. It would work if I had some cold water from the frig. As it is it will bring a tray of ambient temp water (Arizona ambient) to about 45 degrees. I have made some improvements in insulation and fan cooling. When my refrigerator gives me cold water I will make some Peltier solar ice!! It is free and I ave more energy from the sun than I can use around noon time.

Thanks again for the help,

David/zetron
Old 06-18-2005, 09:48 AM   #6

I am down to 39.9 degress in the refrigerator using 120 AC. The problem seems to be with the propane. Maybe I need to clean the oriface or something?

I have an extra 12 volt exhaust fan from the vent in the bathroom where I installed my TurboKool swamp cooler. I think I will place that fan at the outside top opening of the refrigerator freezer. I had those small fans they sell for that purpose but they did not seem to do anything.

Maybe I will make an opening above the lower outside refrigerator freezer vent so that the fan blows directly onto the coils on the back of the frigerator freezer to make things more efficent in hot weather? The speed of the fan could be controlled by resistors.

There is always something to do to make the RV better. I think I will try out my handy dandy ice making machine with some cold water from the frig.

David/zetron
Old 06-18-2005, 02:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Since the thermistor (thermostat) has been moved around, I'd be willing to bet this is your problem. I know that improper thermistor positioning will result in low cooling, but unfortunately do not know specifically how to advise you to correct it. Hopefully RV Wizard can jump in here with his appliance expertise. Another option would be a call to Dometic (see their web site for customer service info).

You can learn a lot about how your RV fridge operates on gas at the rvmobile.com site. In particular, see Gas Troubleshooting for help on gas cooling problems.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 10:18 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I took it for granted that you had the same result on both gas and ac operation of the ref. originally. Since the unit is cooling properly on ac you are correct that there is a problem on the gas side. I would recommend you have a qualified tech. perform maintenance on the burner assmy and flue. While he is at it he should check the gas pressure of the systems regulator. Good luck and keep us posted
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #9

Thanks for the replys.

I recently attached a 30 lb propane cylinder to the inlet of my motorhome. The gas range heats my coffee in the morning and I think the regulator is ok. I have checked the back of the refrigerator when it was on propane and the things that were suppose to be hot were.

As I stated before; the freezer stays cold on either ACX or propane, but the rfrigerator fins only get cold on AC.

I will have someone look at it. I do not understand the freezer working and refrigerator not working on propane? Maybe it has something to do with 12 volt DC as I am running on solar panels and voltage can get high (15.2 volts when running one array to my swamp cooler).

David/zetron
Old 06-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #10

Well I taked to my RV man and he says that when the Americana goes it does so from the bottom up. First the refrigerator goes then the freezer. This unit is 10 years old. I think I am in for a $650.00 bill to fix it?

David/zetron
Old 06-23-2005, 02:14 AM   #11

zetron, I think maybe you need another "RV man" because he's not giving you good advice. Your unit works OK on 110vac, just not on LP gas. Mike's post above is right on. Your gas flame is probably too low; usually that's a dirty supply tube and/or orifice. Sometimes rust flakes/dirt in the burner holes too. I would suggest you get another RV guy to clean & adjust the LP fridge system. It's not hard to do it yourself, but there are some important precautions & cleaning techniques that you need to do. So it's best to watch someone that's experienced & learn. That's what I did.