Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2008, 05:21 AM   #1

planning to do some traveling in an area with possible below freezing temps. couple questions:
do i have to worry about the on board water supply while traveling or parked for the night? and what do you do to keep your water supply hose from freezing when at the campground over night? and do i have to worry about the MH pipes freezing overnight when attached to city water? any other problems i might not have addressed?
thanks
bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2008, 05:21 AM   #2

planning to do some traveling in an area with possible below freezing temps. couple questions:
do i have to worry about the on board water supply while traveling or parked for the night? and what do you do to keep your water supply hose from freezing when at the campground over night? and do i have to worry about the MH pipes freezing overnight when attached to city water? any other problems i might not have addressed?
thanks
bob

Old 12-27-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi Bob,

I have camped and traveled a few times in below freezing temps. As long as you have your heat on and it blows into your basement area around tanks and piping you should have no problem! If it is not going to be a real extended time I would just work off of tank and not hook up to outside water. However if hooked up to outside water here are a few things to help avoid freez-ups! 1) Wrap hose in that black pipe foam you get at any HD or Lowes. 2) I have seen some folks wrap the hose in an electric heat tape. 3) You could let the water run real slow, but steady in one of the sinks. 4) Park on a site that has sun on water hook up all day, this way it heats hose, and if it does freez it defrosts faster! Hope this helps some & good luck! For me I just leave NJ and go to FL for the winter !!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:44 AM   #4

When in freezing conditions I fill my water tank and store the hose.The furnace warms my storage area to prevent feezing.Using electric heaters will trick the thermostat so the furnace won't run to keep the storage areas warm.
BOB
Old 12-27-2008, 05:46 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
You cannot leave the water supply connected in a freezing situation. Even you have a heated hose the frost proof hydrants are designed to be off in freezing temps and turned on only when water is running.

If it is not too cold 28 - 32 w/very little wind then you could leave a slow drip in the coach.

Best bet is to top off the tanks and refill as needed.

Regarding water supply in the coach. If you are heating your coach then the water supply will be fine. If you have an ice maker, there is heat tape on the supply lines.

However, check your manuals or call the factory on this. Some basements are more susceptible than others.

Some on this forum put small electric heaters in the wetbay to help. However, if you are dry camping they will drain your batteries fast.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bob,
Normally it is the rear heater that is used to heat the holding tanks compartment. Make sure that one cycles enough to keep the chill off. It's best to put all hoses inside the bay and hook-up on an as needed basis. That includes the sewer hose, it too can freeze, break and leak. You really don't want that.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote