Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #1

Anyone heard of recall on the XC?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #2

Anyone heard of recall on the XC?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

No, not any new ones, but there have been some in the past. Did you have any particular one in mind?

I'm shortcutting this to the Freightliner forum to get you some more answers. And you can read about some of the more recent FL recalls there as well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #4

I received my letter today from Freightliner. It is a ISC recall related to the clutch fan. They want to reprogram the thermostat to reduce overheating. Sounds like a simple reflash. It also sounds like it could effect the MPG if the fan is going to run more. Mine was doing fine even in the Mtns I thought.

Each time it would heat up the fan would come on and run until it dropped back to about 180F.

Ill have it checked out and also have my ride height checked too. It appears to be slightly off. Mine is a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton if that is important.

Don
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:07 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you want to know for sure, you might consider calling Freightliner Custom Chassis ((800)385-4357) and following the prompts for technical assistance. With the the last 6 digits from your VIN, they will know exactly which chassis you have and whether or not there are any recalls against it. In addition to the recalls, there could be Service Bulletins. These are special situations which will not be addressed unless there is an owner complaint in that particular area. For example, 32-4 was a Service Bulletin for the XCS chassis around 2000 which changed the shock absorbers, added anti-sway bars and placed inserts in the springs to prevent squeaking. It was free to owners who complained about ride issues in warranty. Prompted by a response on this forum, I found another Service Bulletin about my exhaust brake shutting down my engine (boy, was that fun!). I called FCC and had them send me the SB writeup. When I read it, I was able to find the part number for a modification to the exhaust brake wiring harness which I ordered and installed myself. My opinion is that no Freightliner Oasis dealer would have ever found this highly intermittent problem. I could have spent a lot of money taking my chassis in for service but was able to fix the problem myself for $37.

I've found the techs at FCC to be very knowledgeable. They've sent me a hardcopy wiring diagram for my chassis, talked me through lubricating the upper u-joint on my steering column and provided several other pieces of valuable information. I believe that the key to working with them is to be able to clearly articulate your area of interest or concern.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #6

I heard there is going to be recall on the steering gear.Freightliner has been very helpfull for me also.The only thing is when I was buying all of my filters for my 24k service they told me I could use Dextron3 in my trans.I did use Trans Synd though$$$.
Flints AR Mike and Lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #7

Did not know about the 2000 recall. I bought in late 2000 but I have a 2000 model year chassis.
On the Dextron3, I have had several people say use nothing but the Trans Synd. One of the guys has been working on buses with Allison's in them for 10 years. Interesting
auburnej is offline   Reply With Quote