Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #1

Hi everyone,
We just got home from a couple of months on the road. When I went to drain the freshwater system I noticed that the fresh water tank was not draining very well, as a matter of fact water was just barely dripping out.
I opened and closed the slide valve a few times but that made no difference. I climbed under the rig and made sure the openining was not plugged which it was not.
After watching it for a while I got the impression that the tank was not venting and maybe the loss of water was creating a vacumn in the tank holding the water back but even blowing air down the fill line did not help.
I finally just used the water pump to pump it out.
However, have any of you had a simmiliar problem.
The drain looks real simple. It is a horizontal plastic pipe out of the lower side of the tank to a valve that one just pulls up to open and pushes down to close.
Do you think that the valve stem could be disconnected from the slide gate? If so why does it drip when it is pulled up and is dry when down?
Any ideas?
Thanks Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #2

Hi everyone,
We just got home from a couple of months on the road. When I went to drain the freshwater system I noticed that the fresh water tank was not draining very well, as a matter of fact water was just barely dripping out.
I opened and closed the slide valve a few times but that made no difference. I climbed under the rig and made sure the openining was not plugged which it was not.
After watching it for a while I got the impression that the tank was not venting and maybe the loss of water was creating a vacumn in the tank holding the water back but even blowing air down the fill line did not help.
I finally just used the water pump to pump it out.
However, have any of you had a simmiliar problem.
The drain looks real simple. It is a horizontal plastic pipe out of the lower side of the tank to a valve that one just pulls up to open and pushes down to close.
Do you think that the valve stem could be disconnected from the slide gate? If so why does it drip when it is pulled up and is dry when down?
Any ideas?
Thanks Don

Old 04-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Don, I see this is your first post. Welcome to IRV2.

It would help if we knew what your RV was. I'd suggest adding that information to your signature line in your profile soi that it'll always be available.

Meanwhile, water tanks are water tanks I guess. I would suspect that something is blocking the opening and restricting the flow. It's either stuck in the valve itself or else in the tank at the entrance to the drain line. "Stuff" can work loose and block the flow. You could drain the tank, open the valve, and fish a wire through to possibly clean it out. I doubt if the valve itself is the culprit.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #4

There have been cases where material of some sort has been left in a tank during the build process. Sometimes it the is from drilling a hole to mount something on tank or any number of other things. Often that material that was not fished out simply just blocks the opening. Lets hope that is the case again this time. Same thing has happened in black and grey tanks. Good luck.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #5

I know you tried blowing air down the fill pipe, but did you try the drain side of things? If it is debris, then this should at least temporarily dislodge it. If it is a valve on the end of a tube running from the tank, it could be kinked somewhere between there and the tank.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'd bet it would be debris. Maybe an off chance that algae has taken up residence and created a plug.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:07 AM   #7

I would open the drain valve and stick a water hose up the drain as far as I could and see if you can dislodge it with a blast of water.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don;

I just wanted to welcome you to IRV2. As you are finding out, we have a great group of people here who are more than willing to help when they can. Post often and let us know the solution to your problem.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:43 AM   #9

Don

Go to Lowes/Home Depot and buy a plumbing device that hooks up to a water hose that is designed to inflate and block the water from coming back towards you. Get the right size. If anything is blocking the pipe and is movable, this will dislodge it. s/Toby
Old 04-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #10

Don

I need to add. If your drain has a 90 deg bend real close and you are unable to get the blower inside (if you decide to go thie route), buy a piece of PVC the same size as your drain along with a coupler. Just force this on then put in the blower. No need to glue this xtra piece on, Just make it tight. Hope this helps s/Toby
Old 04-06-2008, 05:27 AM   #11

You should have a 3/4" ball valve off the bottom of your tank to the outside thru the basement which is the drain the blade valves are for winterizing to drain the piping thru out your rig look for a pvc ball valve

Davie Fla
Hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #12

I don't know what you have, but on my old Southwind, when I open the drain, I have to pump it out or it takes forever to empty.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #13

what model year Southwind? I had a 2004 32sv Southwind and the basement compartment left of the side door up near the center on frame was the water tank and lying front was a 1" gate valve continue thru the basement below to drain tank

Davie Fla
Hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #14

It is a 1992. Has a valve for bypass, cold drain and hot drain. That is all I have found. Located close to pump, just side of freshwater tank.