Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #1

Fresh water tank leak?

I , hope this is the right place to ask this. Found liquid leaking under my 06 38J Bounder DP while sitting at host site. Appeared to be water. Was clear not slippery and had no odor or taste. Was leaking from the passenger side frame rail about a third to one half of the distance to the front of the coach. Actually it was leaking at two spots, both off the frame rail. It appeared to be coming from under the subfloor. There are no signs of leakage inside under sinks, shower or toilet. I dumped the fresh water tank and it appears that the leak has stopped. It is dry under the coach. The problem is that the fresh water tank appears to be enclosed between the frame rails and is virtually impossible to observe. The tank had not been newly filled and was not full. I figured either the tank has cracked or one of the drain lines (attached to drain valve) has developed a crack or a fitting is leaking. But I cannot see it. Any ideas or help would be greatly apprecited. We are attached to park water and leaving the tank empty right now is not a problem. Anyone?

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
terry can you get access to the fresh water tank from above? can you access any of the hoses that attach to the tank? Over time the hoses can harden under the clamp causing them to leak, I just removed the clamp cut the hoses back about an inch and reattached them and problem solved. I hope this helps and that your problem is that easy....

dennis

2003 Winnebago Journey DL 39, Cat 330 2 slideouts
Luv2journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #3

An update on this problem:

Finally found an access to these tanks (there are 2 tanks). There are panels in the side of the basement which can be removed but were unnecessarily 'glomped' in with massive sealer application. When those panels are removed you have access to the fittings into the tanks. You have to remove the crossbar for the slide mechanism to try and remove the tanks, which looks like at least a two person task. Found a leak at the hose attaching the two tanks together to keep the water levels even. Tightened a clamp and that leak disappeared. Now to refill the tanks and see if it still leaks.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #4

Update:

Ok leak is stopped now to put it back together again.
Will be getting residential refrig put in tomorrow. No more Nevercold. Actually it has been working admirably this winter but don't want to nurse it during the summer. May also be safer!
Old 02-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Super Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Update:

Ok leak is stopped now to put it back together again.
Will be getting residential refrig put in tomorrow. No more Nevercold. Actually it has been working admirably this winter but don't want to nurse it during the summer. May also be safer!
FD, I did the same thing and was dismayed to find it leaking again, months later.

Here's a cool trick to keep in your hip pocket, in case that happens: since Fleetwood has some thin-walled nipples on those tanks, chances are tightening the clamp induces a crease in the nipple, and then it leaks from that point albeit later.

For a couple o' bucks, you can buy replacement tank nipples at the RV supply, cut them in half on the bandsaw and slip them after heating and stretching the original. A socket of the appropriate diameter and a heat gun work great. When the new double-wall nipple is cool, you can put two worm-gear clamps side by side, for a permanent fix.

Somewhere around here, I documented pulling out the tanks, putting bedliner down on the floor, and installing a sump drain (there was a pool of water, under my tanks, that had nowhere to go) with hose.

Believe it or not, it's a relatively easy one-person job.

But, for now you're good to go. That'll surely at least get you through the season.

Tags
leak, tank, water