Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2016, 05:37 AM   #1

Location: 2004 Country Coach Sienna, 4 slides. Full timer and drifting continually
Fridge fans added in chimney

My norcold 1200 series worked but was not REAL cold. After reading other people's chit chat about fridge fans, my inspection found my fridge did not have any fans. Zero. I found abandoned wiring from the controller to the top area but no fan.

A few months ago, I intalled 2 fans at the bottom area which was easily accomplished from the side access door. The 2 fans were on separate switches and I found using only 1 fan was usually sufficient.

I just installed 2 fans in the top of the chimney and the result is better. I mounted the fans just under the plastic roof vent cap. The air coming out the top vent now has much more volume and warmer than with only the lower fans. The fridge is cooling much colder now.

The better cooling probably won't surprise anyone but I thought I would post it because someone else might not have fans too or have inop fans.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 05:43 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for posting this. As you said , some members are not aware of this mod.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:25 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's still on my list of things to do
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Pulling HOT air out from the top vent is 100% more efficient than attempting to push HOT air out from the side vent through the top vent.

Manufactures would be far better off abandoning the fans mounted part way up and installing fans at the top.

I had to disconnect the mid fans as they lost some blades which caused them to spin out of balance making them VERY noisy.

I installed four 120mm box fans at the top which were virtually noise free and ran them 24/7. Sold the fan package after installing a residential fridge.

Absorption fridges require any heat transferred to the cooling pipes must be removed QUICKLY otherwise food cannot be kept cold or frozen inside the fridge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcold Fans-21.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	138539  
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I did the same as Dr4film except used 3 muffin fans on the roof and added one below by the outside vent. Connected them with a temperature sensor so they would turn off when not needed. Probably didn't need that. It was a pretty easy set up to do.

I had the guys a "Cooler Guys" in Bellevue WA set me up with what I needed for around $75 I think.

https://www.coolerguys.com/products/...cabcool-1203-m

System worked as well as the NoCold could.

If you are not ready to go residential you might try this mod.

Good luck
Old 09-11-2016, 02:56 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Should have a overheat thermostat to shut fans off in case of fire!
Does anyone know the status of the class action lawsuits against norcold?
I think it is in Florida and California.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:10 AM   #7

Here's my install. You don't NEED four fans (I have a total of 6 avaliable if ever needed), but I run them through an 8A PWM LED dimmer and spin them at 50% and they literally cannot be heard. I had to put an LED on the control to see they they were on. These fans are Noctra fans that are IP65 rated and built to operate in 250 degree enviroments. Everything about them is designed for silent running.

Richard is correct that drawing is far better than attempting to force that can create dead air hotspots

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Should have a overheat thermostat to shut fans off in case of fire!
Does anyone know the status of the class action lawsuits against norcold?
I think it is in Florida and California.
That's why I replaced the OEM cooling unit with Helium

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:43 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
I bought 4 fans for 16 bucks and installed them. The no cool did not respond as I wanted and replace the fridge with a Samsung. Problem fixed!!
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:10 AM   #10

What about slide mounted fridges?
Old 09-12-2016, 06:30 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I believe the cooling fans mounted as high as possible is the answer. My question is to you that have accomplished this: where did you actually mount them and how did you access the space where you mounted them?
Thanks
Old 09-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
if your fridge is in the slider then you should have a panel at the top of slide you can mount fans I believe. Ours had a vent on the roof that you can remove the cap and mount your fans then replace vent cap
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are two mounted on the rear of the unit ( on the 1200 series ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Softail View Post
What about slide mounted fridges?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Clifftall-is the 1200 series the four door unit? I can hear a fan running when it gets hot. I would them mounted higher up. I start out the day with the unit showing 33deg. Is that good? I have no fans inside the fridge compartment. By late afternoon the temp is up to 37-38 degrees. We are very frugal about opening the doors. I also have a water leak emanating somewhere from the rear top. When I shut off the water supply to the ice maker it stops. So...no ice. Bought the MH used so I have no idea of its history. Thinking maybe there is a split in the supply line up where it enters the back. I suppose I will have to pull the unit out this fall to check it out.

Any thoughts?

Tags
fan, fridge