Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Front a/c runs in fan position and stops on a/c position

Went out and started the RV today to exercise the genset. After 5 minutes turned on the rear air, then the front a/c. I have 2 separate manual thermostats for the front and rear air. The front a/c fan would come on with the thermostat set to fan setting, but as soon as I set the thermostat to the a/c position the fan shut off. I waited a few minutes with t-stat set to a/c then tried turning off the rear air and starting only the front with the same results. Both ways the fan runs on fan setting and shuts off on a/c setting.
From searching posts on this forum it sounds like a start and/or run capacitor is bad on the front a/c unit. I suppose it could be something wrong with the thermostat start delay system.
I have 2 questions,

1.) Is it possible the start delay could be keeping the a/c fan and compressor from coming on when the t-stat is set on a/c?
(I waited a couple minutes when set to a/c)

2.) Where is a good place to buy replacement capacitors?

The coach has a 30 amp system with a manual selector switch to run either the front or rear a/c with shore power or both when gen is on.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The control board is probably in the delay and more time should have been allowed for the control board to activate the compressor and fan relay. This is one way to be able to tell if the T'stat is working but you have to be patient and give 3-5 minutes for the time delay.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Mike,
You're right, I was not waiting long enough for the delay to time out. Took about 3 1/2 minutes for delay to start front a/c, but rear air turns on right away. Maybe something wrong with rear t-stat delay.
Just goes to show patience is a virtue. Guess I need to work on that!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote