Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2007, 05:07 AM   #1

We have a 2001 38' Alpine Coach and are having problems with the front air bags not filling all the way up consistently. Sometimes they even go down while we're driving. This is an intermittent problem. Any ideas or past experiences would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not sure where I would even take this to be looked at, has anyone used Camping World for such an issue?
The worst part of owning this coach is trying to find quality service in the SE. I travel Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and NW Florida if anyone knows a place to get good service. I usually end up doing it myself. This time I'm not sure what's wrong.

2001 Alpine 38 FDDS
2racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2007, 05:07 AM   #2

We have a 2001 38' Alpine Coach and are having problems with the front air bags not filling all the way up consistently. Sometimes they even go down while we're driving. This is an intermittent problem. Any ideas or past experiences would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not sure where I would even take this to be looked at, has anyone used Camping World for such an issue?
The worst part of owning this coach is trying to find quality service in the SE. I travel Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and NW Florida if anyone knows a place to get good service. I usually end up doing it myself. This time I'm not sure what's wrong.

2001 Alpine 38 FDDS
Old 07-25-2007, 06:09 AM   #3

I would take it to your chassis service center. I don't know what chassis your Alpine is riding on (Freightliner, Spartan, etc) but I'd start there. They are the ones who install the air bags, as it's part of the suspension system.

I just looked up Alpine and it seems they build their own chassis's (Peak). A call to the factory might provide you a service location. If you're in a pinch, a call to a Freightliner dealer to see if they will work on your airbag system may be in order.

Good luck!
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:24 AM   #4

Who services your chassis? That's who you should take the rig to. Check the web for an authorised service center near you. You probably have an air valve problem.

I have a Cummins engine on a Spartan chassis. I always use Cummins Southern in Florida. They have maintained my chassis as they are a Spartan authorized service center. Last year they replaced a leaking rear air valve.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #5

With both sides acting the same way every time the most likely suspect is the front leveling valve. Fairly easy to do. Almost any truck garage could do this for you.

It is also an easy do-it-yourself. It will be midway up front on or above the front axle.

Jim Scoggins
Jim Scoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #6

I have a similar problem. The front airbags of the MH deflates within 6hrs or so of parking. The rear stays up just fine.

I am guessing it is a leveling valve problem since all four front airbags go down simultaneously.

Do i have to replace the leveling valve with a new one? If so where could i buy one? What kind? Typical cost? What is involved in this procedure if i decide to do it myself?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
To find air leaks you simply need a spray bottle of soapy water and start looking. Make sure the coach is aired up and the leveling jacks are down. I would also recommend jack stands as a safety measure. Get under the coach and spray down all air lines, valves and bags and if you have a leak it will bubble up.
The leveling or ride height vlave use a connecting rod to control the air in the bags. Make sure they are not loose at either end and that they do not bind when the suspension moves up or down. Good luck but be safe under there.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:45 PM   #8

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll probably check it out myself.

2001 Alpine 38 FDDS
Old 08-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Alpines use their own chassis, called a Peak chassis, so Alpine is the one to contact for assistance on suspension repairs. But I would think that any RV chassis shop would be able to diagnose and repair it, if they can get parts from Alpine.

You could have a problem with the air bags themselves or with the air system supplying it. I don't know how Alpine/Peak plumbed their air system, so anything I said would be a guess, but there are usually two air tanks with each supplying air to portions of the system..

The Cummins Coach Care centers are supposed to be decent and there are two highly rated ones in north Florida - Cummins Southeast Power in Ocala and in Jacksonville. You might call them to see if they will work on your problem.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #10

I just replaced all three of my air levelling valves since the original ones had cracked and were leaking. It is fairly straight forward procedure but I just got off the phone with Spartan and I have to re-adjust my ride height since I got it wrong. I now have the correct height for my particular chassis serial #.

BTW, any HD truck supply center should be able to get Ridewell or Euclid (Ridewell re-packaged) or other air levelling valves. Mine were about $90 each. One side note is be sure to get the universal ones that can be mounted horiz. or vert. since mine needed some adaptation. Now I just need to fine tune everything and hopefully the vibration I am getting through the pedal and steering wheel will disappear.

Ken