Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #1

front brake pad replacement question

There is 36000 miles on the motorhome I just purchased and I am going to replace the front brake pads and pack the front wheel bearings.
Its a 1999 coachman on a ford f53 chassis; has anyone done this? I had a motorhome that was on a P30 chassis and I've done these.
Is there anything difficult I should know before I jack it up and pull the wheels?
Question? is 36000 miles too soon or to late to replace brake pads? the brakes seem to work just fine; no squeaking or strange noises.
thanks for any reply

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If ain't broke why fix it. I would have them inspected by a reliable shop you know.
The wear by previous owner may have been less than you would expect. Did you get any records of service with coach?
Had a 88 Ford with over 50,000 miles before brakes needed work.
The front wheel bearings may need some work check your maintinence specs.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #3

In the last 25 years I have put nearly 500,000 miles on motorhomes, except for blown tires I have never been broken down on the road, I attest this to preventive maintance, When going to school many years ago, I worked as a mechanic and can do most maintance on my motorhomes, in the past 25 years I have had my motorhomes for repairs only 3 times. I carry a full set of tools, all I need are directions, I have yet been able to find a repair manual for the ford F53 chassis, This is why I'm looking for someone thats done this type of brake job.
thanks again for help from anyone
Old 03-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #4

Well I can't get the lugnuts loose even my impact wrench wouldn't loosen them, broke my wrench trying;; so i guess I'll run it till they start squiking then let someone put new ones on for me. Not the way i'd like to due it.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert h View Post
Well I can't get the lugnuts loose even my impact wrench wouldn't loosen them, broke my wrench trying;; so i guess I'll run it till they start squiking then let someone put new ones on for me. Not the way i'd like to due it.
Apply some heat to the nuts (not the stud) with a MAP gas torch. Then untighten after GOOD and HOT. Shouldn't take but a few minutes per nut under the torch.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Torch on the Lug Nuts??? sigh,,, The lug nuts are most likely torqued over 400 ft lbs. My WH is 475 ft lbs and if you are trying to get them loose with regular tools, forget it. One of the biggest reasons I bought an X12. I can see pulling the wheels off at 36k to "check" the brakes but you may find it doesn't need them. You should be able to get an F53 manual easily.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #7

Rather that applying heat to the lug nuts try a torque multiplier, then you can reinstall them properly when you are done. Check out Northern Tool, I think I got mine for under $200; 3:1 multiplier, max 1200 ft lbs
Old 03-13-2009, 04:25 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i bought my 3/4 drive 600 ft lb torque wrench from harbor freight for about $150. i also bought a 3/4 socket set for about $50.
my moho had 7,800 miles on it and was 5 years old when i purchased it from the original owner. he said that the wheels had never been off, and that all his normal and warranty maintenance was done by the dealer that he purchased it from.
all of my lugnuts were torqued to 300-350 ft lbs. i retorqed them to 475 ft lbs. from what i have since learned, that is about par for the course.
harbor freight has torque multipliers and 600 ft lb impact wrenches also. that big impact wrench needs an air compressor too big for me to carry. the torque multipliers that i have seen use 1 inch drive.
i have the workhorse chassis.
some one on this forum with a ford chassis should be able to quote you the torque specs for your wheels.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #9

I gave it one more try----I already broke two wrenches; what the heck, whats one more; I;m not a person that gives up easly.
A wrench and a 6 foot pice of pipe did the job. I got them loose on one wheel. after I pull the tire I'll attack the other one.

Thanks guys for the suggestions; now all I have to do is see what kind of trouble I get myself in after I pull the tire.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #10

One moe question?; how often do you grease your front bearings? I usually do mine when I replace the brake lineings.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From the Ford Shop Manual
Torque Specifications Description lb-ft
Wheel nuts (M14 x 1.5) 148
Wheel nuts (M22 x 1.5) 450
Just verify your size.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #12

quote:
I can see pulling the wheels off at 36k to "check" the brakes but you may find it doesn't need them.

So far so good; linings on the one wheel I've pulled; look very good.
I'll pull the other one just to give me peace of mind.
I'm the type of person that just has to check everything.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #13

From the Ford Shop Manual
Torque Specifications Description lb-ft
Wheel nuts (M14 x 1.5) 148
Wheel nuts (M22 x 1.5) 450
Just verify your size.

thanks for the info
Old 03-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
While you have the wheels off looking at the pads take a close look at the calipers. Mine had about 32,000 miles on it when I got it and the dust boots around the caliper pistons were broken. Also get a torque wrench and tighten the lug nuts to 140LBS.