Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Front curtain sewing help info needed

It is time to replace the front curtains in our 1987 Rockwood (yes the original ones). We want to make our own as my other half does sew and we have a Singer 758 slant needle of 1970 vintage to work with. I want the new curtains to be Velcro all around the sides and bottom of the windshield. And we have a few "space blankets" I want to use on the glass side of the curtain to reflect sun light/heat back out. Good idea or bad? Any other thoughts will help like what material to use. Thick/thin? Light colors best? Pattern or plain?
Lynn
Ps If this needs to go to a different forum (sewing group?) please someone move it.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #2

I think cotton duck or muslin is a great place to start, maybe two layers with synthetic batting in between for insulation? Maybe you could tie-dye the fabric before assembly for that authentic hippy look?
Old 02-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Go to a Joanns Fabrics or Hancocks Fabrics store - national chains. They almost all have a selection of fabrics designed for drapes. There are specialty insulation and blackout fabrics that would be easier to sew and more robust than space blankets. The space blanket will eventually tear since it doesn't have any give in it.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
UTTransplant-I was thinking of adding the space blanket as a outer layer to the curtain to act as a built in reflector. Not to make the curtain out of a space blanket. Attach it loosely around the edges or with a strip cloth on the edge (border) with the blanket sandwiched in between
Old 02-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Wonder if you spread the fabric out flat then sprayed something like contact cement on it and the reflectorized fabric? would it stay together with continuously moving it? Or perhaps get it glued together and then sew the edges and a couple of line through the center?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We went to a second hand store and bought insulated drapes and cut and stitched to fit the old roller track in the MH.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Pops2-that is a good idea, need to check it out.
Lynn
Old 02-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I replaced mine after I washed them and A Pile of threads came out of the washer!!!! They were original.
I bought some from CW web site and installed them I hate um they don't hang right they are stiff as a board ( i even washed them).
I decided today to replace them and I am going with Blinds. I installed them in the bedroom windows and I think they look nice.. I will need to find something for the drivers window and the passengers window. Odd size's Drivers 20 @ the top and 34 @ the bottom. Passenger side is even worse 24 top and 41 bottom.
I sure would like to install those night shades/Sun Screen. going shopping online and see what i can find.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:35 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Anyplace that has drapery fabrics has insulated fabric designed to be made into drapes. Some of them are just thick fabric and some are actually quilted. It will be much longer-lived than usign a space blanket.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #10

Carolina Campers
I was thinking of using good ol Sunbrella for my new front curtain. I like the sun shielding factor as well as how long the stuff will last even being beat down by the sun. I used to do boat canvas and have a ton of scraps still laying around so that plays into it as well. The only caveat is using a lighter color to better reflect the radiated heat.
I second a trip to Joann's as they have a great selection.
No to hijack, but has anyone found a fellow camper at a campground doing canvas work as a side gig? Hmmm....have sewing machine, will travel!
Jarhead0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would worry about using the Velcro, having the curtains up against the glass may stain the curtains if condensation develops on the glass and transfers to the curtains. If you can keep the curtain from touching the glass you would probably be ok. Our curtains accidently came in contact with the windshield and we didn't notice it until the curtain was already stained. We were able to wash the stains out but it was an unnecessary chore to take the curtains off, wash and dry them, and then put them back up.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:58 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead0331 View Post
I was thinking of using good ol Sunbrella for my new front curtain. I like the sun shielding factor as well as how long the stuff will last even being beat down by the sun. I used to do boat canvas and have a ton of scraps still laying around so that plays into it as well. The only caveat is using a lighter color to better reflect the radiated heat.
I second a trip to Joann's as they have a great selection.
No to hijack, but has anyone found a fellow camper at a campground doing canvas work as a side gig? Hmmm....have sewing machine, will travel!
I actually did camp next to a family who was doing sewing for their vintage camper. They set up an old black Singer of some type under their awning on a picnic table. The man was the one sewing, and he was making new cushions for his rig when I talked to him.

Sunbrella is a bear to work with, but you know that if you've worked on it before. It is so stiff i found it hard to do a good hem - hard to get it to take a fold. Did I have a particularly stiff version?