Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #1

front end alignment???

04 Beaver Marquie wear on the inside left front tire. I was told, by truck tire dealer, this was pretty normal on these big rigs and would be a waste of money to try to have front end aligned. When I was at the shop getting two new front tires and another coach (different brand) was there and had same issues.
Any thoughts guys?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #2

If you decide to get the front end looked at I would highly recommend Ray's champion spring just north of down town Fort Worth they do rvs and big trucks

Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
D M

Hi Butch The alignment is one of the cheapest things that you can do for your Rig. You want to make those tires last as long as you can. If you see abnormal wear then something is going on. Possibly warn parts in the front end like ball joints, tie rod ends,the list goes on,or maybe the alignment settings are off, and it can even be the tires. The point I am trying to make is no one can step back and look at your tires and tell you your alignment is fine with out hooking it up to the alignment machine after getting the readings then they can say it is fine. Hope this helps.
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D M View Post
Hi Butch The alignment is one of the cheapest things that you can do for your Rig. You want to make those tires last as long as you can. If you see abnormal wear then something is going on. Possibly warn parts in the front end like ball joints, tie rod ends,the list goes on,or maybe the alignment settings are off, and it can even be the tires. The point I am trying to make is no one can step back and look at your tires and tell you your alignment is fine with out hooking it up to the alignment machine after getting the readings then they can say it is fine. Hope this helps.
A GOOD alignment can improve both your tire wear and your handling.
As with most things, an alignment is a "crap shoot" and depends on the philosophy of the shop.
I they are concerned with accuracy of your alignment, having an alignment done is a good thing.
If they are only concerned with your $$$...NOT SO MUCH!
Unfortunately you have no idea WHAT you will get.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #5

My bad Ray's I south of down town on 287
Old 01-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #6

Don't know about your rig but on mine the front end parts had excessive play, plus the front airbag leaked all of which caused the steers to wear causing "feathering". Before replacing the fronts had the front end repaired. (replaced the airbags, drag link, tierod ends etc" and proper coil springs for the weight, the tires and a realignment. She handles now "real nice" so's that the YL can take ASLY for a spin.

Steve
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
What the tire dealer told you about the tire wear may be true but the part about "waste of money to try to have front end aligned" is just stupid.
Have it aligned before the new tires go on. The last time I got new tires I waited a couple of years because I thought the alignment was okay. I ended up ruining the front tires in 12,000 miles. When I got my new 2012 I took it to the shop the first chance I had, it was out of alignment but not much.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
RVM1

Got my new rig and had alignment as soon as I had a travel load in it. Improved everything. Best $250 I ever spent on an RV.

Previous rig needed ball joints and tie rod ends before alignment.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #9

Have to agree with the others. I had issues, had my 34" Class A alligned and shimmed (front end place did itr because it needed it), any way all of the problems I had.....dare I say went the way of the doo doo bird!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #10

tire wear

Thanks for advise guys, headed in to have it aligned.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Everyone talks about a front end alignment but what really matters is a front end AND and rear end alignment.
Front and rear must be in alignment or the tires will wear strange.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomforde View Post
Everyone talks about a front end alignment but what really matters is a front end AND and rear end alignment.
Front and rear must be in alignment or the tires will wear strange.
Get it alined by a shop the cares about quality. Make sure the check and adjust camber, caster, and toe end. Some shops do what's known as a toe and go. Just to get your money. If the steering wheel isn't straight, when I go down the road, I take it back. Also, have it travel loaded when you take it in.