Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Front Flat Tire(s) - Beware of "Warranty"

Went out to check on the MH and discovered that the passenger's front tire flat and the driver's side down significantly. I had the MH covered and have valve extenders to hold the TPMS to be able to access. I called my extended tire support company and three calls later, they said that I am still under warranty and to call the manufacturer. Called the manufacturer and they sent me to their tire subcontractor (Coachnet). Called them and they told me that I would have to replace the tire and have a truck come out (out of pocket cost estimated at +$800 - not sure what if anything the warranty would have covered). Sounded wrong to me, so I called a local RV repair place (TransWest). They recommended a local tire shop who came out and told me that the valve extenders on both sides were banged up (probably from the wind hitting the TPMS monitors). They replaced them, pumped up the tires, checked the rear four, and charged me less than $140. 1500 miles later and the tires are just fine.

Bottom line, beware of "warranty" coverage (and call around)!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How could the valve extenders be banged up by the TPMS sensors? All the extenders I've seen are metal and the TPMS sensors are plastic.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #3

I was wondering the same thing.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:54 AM   #4

Brings back the old days...

You aired up the tires then put spit in the stem to check for bubbles before attaching cap.

We have bobcat that after replacing tires and stems (used tires for yard toy) two will not hold air and spit test passed.

Valve stem is multipart brass with a changeable top just in case it gets crunched...was just loose enough at joint to leak very slow.

Valve stems always need to be checked..
Old 02-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
Went out to check on the MH and discovered that the passenger's front tire flat and the driver's side down significantly. I had the MH covered and have valve extenders to hold the TPMS to be able to access. I called my extended tire support company and three calls later, they said that I am still under warranty and to call the manufacturer. Called the manufacturer and they sent me to their tire subcontractor (Coachnet). Called them and they told me that I would have to replace the tire and have a truck come out (out of pocket cost estimated at +$800 - not sure what if anything the warranty would have covered). Sounded wrong to me, so I called a local RV repair place (TransWest). They recommended a local tire shop who came out and told me that the valve extenders on both sides were banged up (probably from the wind hitting the TPMS monitors). They replaced them, pumped up the tires, checked the rear four, and charged me less than $140. 1500 miles later and the tires are just fine.
I am aware of Coachnet ERS, the "emergency road service provider".... but who or what is Coachnet the "tire subcontractor"?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #6

Quote:

The valve stem extensions being "banged up from wind hitting the TPMS sensors" is highly unlikely. It's more likely that there is little or no support for the extensions as they pass through the wheel. The added weight of the sensors allows the extensions to flex and rub against the wheel. Eventually the extensions will wear through and allow air to leak out of the tires.

Even though the extensions are a rigid tube they can still flex and move inside the wheel opening. We had the same thing happen to the extensions on our 2001Winnebago Adventurer. Luckily we caught the problem before they wore through.

Most TPMS manufacturers advise that if valve stem extensions are necessary they should be the solid tube type and properly supported where they pass through the wheels.

There are several styles of supports available. These work on Alcoa with solid extensions and aluminum wheels:
Alcoa Wheels North America: Products: Product Technology: Accessories: Heavy Duty Trucks - Valve Stem Extension Stabilizer Kits

This style works with flexible extensions:
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Wheel...-p/92-9272.htm
Old 02-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Without naming names, the manufacturer of our MH supposedly subcontracts Coachnet ERS for tire warranty support. They no longer do it themselves.

As the tires were not leaking prior to winter storage, I don't see how sitting for three months would cause them to wear through with no tire rotation and not being supported when sitting idle. I'm still searching for a root cause of the failure.

Anyone else have any good ideas?
Old 02-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Without naming names, the manufacturer of our MH supposedly subcontracts Coachnet ERS for tire warranty support. They no longer do it themselves.

As the tires were not leaking prior to winter storage, I don't see how sitting for three months would cause them to wear through with no tire rotation and not being supported when sitting idle. I'm still searching for a root cause of the failure.

Anyone else have any good ideas?
The fact that the tire monitors were "banged up" should be somewhat of a clue as to what happened. If they're so poorly supported that the wind could damage them when the coach is stationary they wouldn't last ten miles with the coach in motion.

The damage was done either before the coach was put in storage, or by a vandal while it was in storage. If you inspected them when the coach was put in storage and you're sure there was no damage the only other reasonable conclusion would be they were tampered with while in storage.

There are hundreds of thousands of different tire monitoring systems in place and being used every day. If yours were truly damaged by the wind while the vehicle was in storage it's got be the first.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #9

Really I'm not trying to be rude here. However what exactly did you want the coach warranty to cover in regard to an after market part (the tpms) that you installed?

It has been my experience that one should Never use any extensions on a valve stem. They are not supported correctly and will cause problems.

My solution would be to install the correct valve stems ie the proper length as to be able to install the tpms sending unit

I would never have even considered my mistake to be covered under warranty
Old 02-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisancher View Post
I would never have even considered my mistake to be covered under warranty
You'd be surprised by how many people expect the warranty or service policy to cover everything!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think Coach-Net fixes tires either - they just dispatch a road service company to fix your problem. The road service call is covered by the ERS policy, but any tire repairs or warranty claims would be your responsibility. Thus the bill you paid.

Your actual tire warranty, if any, is from the tire manufacturer, and I doubt if they would accept any responsibility for the tire going flat for the reasons you described..
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #12

Quote:

Coach net,good Sams who ever is a service to send someone out only you pay for the tire. Mine was $1,300 and I was willing to pay at 3am on the side of interstate 85 in SC thanksgiving weekend. One other thing my sensors and valve extenders are made of 2 different incompatible metals.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1457267386.590927.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	120668
Old 03-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
If your coach sat on flat/underflated tires, I suspect the sidewalls are damaged, you have "Time Bombs" on your front end.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires