Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #1

Front TV watching while driving?

I have a 2011 Forest River Georgetown 350 with a front mounted TV. I want my family to be able to watch the TV while we are driving. How can I over ride the device that turns the TV off when the motorhome engine is started?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I wonder if this is possible with the hdtv. Are you going to drive with the antenna up. (bad) its very directional and you are always turning.
Now watch a dvd movie is a different story, that not what I call watching tv.
I havn,t a clue how to bypass, I would rather watch a movie on the laptop or something like that.

RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes the you can unplug the TV and plug it into the other of the two receptacles. Often only one of the two is switched off.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #4

I'll try a different receptacle, but I was hoping to find the wire that feeds the 12v ignition signal to the TV and cut it. I don't care that it's against the law....

My kids would rather watch movies and play their PS3 on a 32" flat panel than use something portable and smaller. To be honest with you, as soon as we get to our destination we are mostly outside "camping", so the TV mostly gets used when driving.

Our previous Motorhome, 2006 Sightseer 30B, had no factory inverter, so I wired it myself to work while driving.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Clay L is correct, The plug for my TV is a double (normal) and only one is disabled while traveling. So, get an adapter with muliple female connectors and if only one of yours is disabled then plug the adapter into the other one with the TV and DVD or what ever else into it.

PS. I tried running the TV and satalite down the road, lost the signal, need a different dish that will track as you drive.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many jurisdictions have laws about any TV being in view of the driver and operating while in motion. Your safest bet is to get a video player and let the kids watch that.

Ken
Old 10-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Heed TXiceman. . .It's pretty much universally illegal to have a TV in view of the driver. You may not care about the law and its ramifications, but there are a hundred drivers out there on the road with you and if you get distracted and get into an accident, and/or hurt somebody in a little japbox, you'll be singing a different tune.
Follow the law!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbounder View Post
Heed TXiceman. . .It's pretty much universally illegal to have a TV in view of the driver. You may not care about the law and its ramifications, but there are a hundred drivers out there on the road with you and if you get distracted and get into an accident, and/or hurt somebody in a little japbox, you'll be singing a different tune.
Follow the law!
While the TV is in front, it's hardly in view. Like I said, I don't care about the law. I am a responsable driver and really could care less about what is on my kids PS3 game, so why would I look...

I still need to check the receptacle... Maybe tonight...
Old 10-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The 12v wire is usually right on the back of the plug the tv is plugged into. The interlock is typically built right into the outlet.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #10

If you do a search, I asked the same exact question a few months ago and there was some good discussion on that thread. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The 12v wire is usually right on the back of the plug the tv is plugged into. The interlock is typically built right into the outlet.
That's how mine was. I just removed the outlet and replaced it with a standard duplex outlet from menards
Old 10-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #12

Great info! Thanks.