Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2016, 08:18 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Frustrated with toilet

A couple of weeks ago, I got up one morning, to find water on the floor in the middle of the living area, from a toilet bowl that was overflowing. Seems that the foot valve/ gate valve had hung slightly and let the water continue to run, filling the bowl and over flowing. I cleaned up, made sure the seal was clean but it continued to " hang " unless you took your foot and pushed up to make sure it cut off.

Monday, had a RV repair guy come out, ( we are in the RGV away from home, limited tools to do myself) pulled the toilet, took it to a shop and replaced the valve and the mounting seal. $ 175.
Worked fine till yesterday, now it is doing the same thing. Plan to call him Monday.....for whatever good that will do.

If this is a bad design or fundamentally faulty, I would rather replace it.....thoughts, recommendations?

Dometic, high rise, China bowl 310 series ( I think ). 2006 or 2007.

P.S. I am a big guy 6'2". 240 lbs.......is my size a factor?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #2

Well we just replaced our toilet 2006 with a 310 about 2 months ago. Have not had a problem and hoping to continue. Your size should not be a problem I hope. I am 270 but considerably shorter. Maybe my lower center of gravity helps?

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are going the replacement route, check on the dometic 320 . Comfort height
and an elongated bowl .. 2 bolt install in base
Old 01-17-2016, 12:27 AM   #4

Now you know why I stopped using city water. I run everything with the pump because the noise reminds me something is wrong before I float away. Also gives me a good handle on how much is in the tanks when one of the gauges is acting up.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
If you are going the replacement route, check on the dometic 320 . Comfort height
and an elongated bowl .. 2 bolt install in base

Agree.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:46 AM   #6

The 310 and 320 use the same parts
The 320 just has an elongated seat/bowl

Water continuing to run is typically a defective/worn out water valve......needs replaced.
But you have already had that done.

Couple questions:
1) Water pressure....on city water and do you use a regulator?
2) Have you tried using pump and does it do the same?
3) How much t you have to lift flush pedal to stop water.........cold be friction between ball and seal. Clean both then use silicone spray or plumbers grease to lube them (I use olive oil....works great)
4) New valve could be defective and warrantied.......but not if pressure is too high or ball hanging up on seal

Surprised toilet had to be removed....water valve is a snap in cartridge...just disconnect water supply and hose to vacuum breaker than snap it out/new one in
Must be real close to a wall
Old 01-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I had a similar problem after replacing the foot pedal for another problem. Upon removing the pedal I found the slots for the valve arm not properly aligned with the pedal slots. It took awhile, but I realigned the pedal and valve arm and reinstalled the pedal. No problems since.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:43 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
First.....correction, looked behind and got photo of label. It is NOT a Dometic. But a Thetford 42058 China bowl.

I was connected to city water@ 60 psi. This afternoon I added my regulator, reduced pressure to 45 psi. Still hangs up but does not seep after you push-up on the pedal. The few days it worked, you could here a spring moving, I don't here that now.

I like the idea of cleaning and lubing with olive oil will try it tomorrow.

Looked on the web and plan to order all appropriate replacement parts tomorrow, and rebuild it myself this time. I have no guarantees that the guy actually put in a new valve, or anything else since he left no old parts.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #9

I've had RV techs tell me that replacing the valve never works for long. They just replace the whole toilet.

BTW make sure you use extra virgin olive oil. The sewer creatures are picky.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
I've had RV techs tell me that replacing the valve never works for long. They just replace the whole toilet.
BTW make sure you use extra virgin olive oil. The sewer creatures are picky.
Of course they do..... they don't have to pay the bill!
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #11

I'm not sure if it may be related to the toilet value sticking, but do you have a filter inline for the incoming water? Could be trash in valve not allowing it to close completely? Just a thought I had, I am at a State Park that has high mineral content in the water supply. I'm have two filters inline to help.

Ralph
Alpine 2005 40 FDQS
Old 01-20-2016, 11:06 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Ordered a new water valve assembly yesterday, put it in today. Looks like I was "had" by a local RV tech named Jesse. Not one component in the valve assy Kit including the donut had been changed. Every spring, seal, gasket, plastic comment was old.

Working perfect right now. I had the supplier order two kits.....told him if the first one was still working in a week, I would buy the second one so as to have a spare. ( with my history that action would mean never have another toilet issue)
Old 01-20-2016, 11:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph0808 View Post
I'm not sure if it may be related to the toilet value sticking, but do you have a filter inline for the incoming water? Could be trash in valve not allowing it to close completely? Just a thought I had, I am at a State Park that has high mineral content in the water supply. I'm have two filters inline to help.

Ralph
Alpine 2005 40 FDQS

I don't believe filters help with high mineral content. You would need a softener or ro.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Well that fix lasted about 10 days.....I put in a brand new Dometic 310 today. Wish I had done that in the beginning, would be about $200 better off.

Tags
rust