Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
fuel leaking from generator

I had our generator serviced and when I ran it yesterday a big pool of fuel was under the coach when I came back to check on it after about 45 minutes. Service dealer is a long drive from storage. 04 Marquie with Onan generator. How difficult is it to check the fuel filter for leaks. Just had shoulder surgery so limited to what I can do. Thanks in advance for and assistance.

FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
You can see the filter on the carb check it to see if its wet on top and the fuel line runs to the bottom of it the line then runs to the fuel pump then to the tank sometimes old lines can get brittle

Mark Anderson - Nebo NC - western NC - RV Restoration tech - 9 Doggies - Outdoors person
1990 33ft Wilderness Cimarron 33X
nightriderrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
The fuel filters are bad to leak around the seam where the two halves are joined. I have had this problem twice so I keep a spare in my tool box just in case. Go to the parts store and ask fo a fuel filter for a 74 ford F 150 with a 302 v-8, same thing. Easy 10 minute fix.
Roger And Kim Goodwin
bout them DAWGS!!
Roger G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
There is also another fuel filter under the frame of the generator in the left front corner by the fuel pump. Be sure to check the rubber hose from the fuel tank and the one from the fuel filter to the carb. Over time they deteriorate and start to leak.

If you still have the fuel filter connected to the carb there is a fitting kit available from Onan to eliminate it. They found too many people were over tightening it and ruining the threads in the carb. Anything newer than about 2005 or 2006 only has the single filter under the frame.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Easiest way to fix it is to pick up the phone with your good hand and dial the dealer and tell them to come out and fix THEIR problem.
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
Fuel leak

Hey guys, I forgot to post it is a diesel generator. They don't have carbs do they? I had the " dealer"?? service 4 items and they messed up every one!! Thanks everyone for your replys.
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:53 AM   #7
They probably didn't get it on right or not tight enough if they changed the filter. Sounds about par for the course.

KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote

fuel, generator