Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #15

Over 40,000 miles we have averaged 8.58 miles per gallon. I made a spreadsheet and keep track of each fill. The coach computer states that we are averaging about 8.5 so it is close....I used to drive 62 mph but have been pushing it up to 65 with no loss of mileage...yeah, I know, I have too much time on my hands if I can keep a spreadsheet for my fuel.....
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojavaphil View Post
In 30 days of traveling as you do now, considering fuel and food costs, how far can you go? I am discussing this on my Motorcycle Forum and I have been astounded by hotel and food prices they pay!

I couldn't help but to bite on this one. You didn't say by what mode. So, I'm assuming in a mh. 7500 will buy 2500 gal of diesel or gas at $3 per gal. That equals 20,000 miles at 8mpg. So if you drive at 60 mph it would take you about 334 hours to travel that 20K miles. If you travel only 6 hours a day you could stay on the road for 55 days or so. However, now you need to calculate food costs for 55 days and subtract it from the 7500 and recalculate. At least you would be in the neighborhood. If you really want to get closer to the costs, figure in an oil change and some other maintenance items too.

Dave
Old 12-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Better MPG than my Workhorse!
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 AM   #18

Mh cheaper than my accord

Quote:
In 30 days of traveling as you do now, considering fuel and food costs, how far can you go? I am discussing this on my Motorcycle Forum and I have been astounded by hotel and food prices they pay!

For every 1000 miles if you figure in an Accord and it's passengers stopping to eat and motel stops it is cheaper to take my class A. I average 10 mpg and the Accord 30 mpg. I do boondock majority of the time or find sites without hookups. This also excludes those who get off on doing the 1000 miles in a day with no stops.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
We average 10 Mpg on our DP 330 Cat With that being said we use the .50 cents per mile to brake even point;; === 250. mlies per day= $125. or Fuel== $75.00 = 10 MPG X$3.00 PG. Hotel Room $50.00 $25.00 Food; Tho; this has meny veirables; It's a simple guide line. We took a trip from Seattle. to Ind> to pick up 2 Tractors, We took the truck, rather then the Motorhome.Tho the Fuel milage on the truck was near 20 MPG; It cost us more Dollers to take the Truck. And we got to sleep with a different kind of bug every night... You get used to your bed,snacks,ETC, then take that away It's not good. Life is good. And we control our own distiniey;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
For every 1000 miles if you figure in an Accord and it's passengers stopping to eat and motel stops it is cheaper to take my class A. I average 10 mpg and the Accord 30 mpg. I do boondock majority of the time or find sites without hookups. This also excludes those who get off on doing the 1000 miles in a day with no stops.
1000 miles in an Accord with passengers? That would kill me.
6'3", 275 lbs., full size SUV needed, hotel and food...$$$$.
I'll take the Pace.
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
But you have to figure we bought the hotel!
Old 12-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
But you have to figure we bought the hotel!
HaHa, Funny!

No doubt for sustained time on the road and staying in one place you cannot beat an RV as being cost effective.
I am planning a long trip next summer and cannot take the MH. I figured I'd do it on the motorcycle and did an analysis which surprised me!
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #23

Long motorcycle trip

Quote:
HaHa, Funny!

No doubt for sustained time on the road and staying in one place you cannot beat an RV as being cost effective.
I am planning a long trip next summer and cannot take the MH. I figured I'd do it on the motorcycle and did an analysis which surprised me!
We met up with these three gentlemen in Fort Nelson last year in one of the few campgrounds (lousy) where we used electric hookup. Their trip was a real adventure and LONG. Their credit card bills were not small even with camping out. Kept bumping into them for a few days in a row. They ate a lot of dust.

Motorcycle from MA to Alaska 2009
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:45 AM   #24

jet, I hope the others are using the same procedure as you to calculate mpg, fill till you can see, the ONLY accurate way to figure out how far that wonderful diesel engine is getting you on a gallon.

I love this, the numbers for these super sized rigs are far better than much smaller gassers, about twice as good-AND the only reports you cannot trust are those from the corn gas crowd.

Only those who drive diesels really care about the environment, this should get things going here.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:52 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
jet, I hope the others are using the same procedure as you to calculate mpg, fill till you can see, the ONLY accurate way to figure out how far that wonderful diesel engine is getting you on a gallon.

I love this, the numbers for these super sized rigs are far better than much smaller gassers, about twice as good-AND the only reports you cannot trust are those from the corn gas crowd.

Only those who drive diesels really care about the environment, this should get things going here.
The real way is to run it dry, fill with a measured amount and run it dry again. Not good for a DP, may lose it's prime. Gassers are not as touchy, hit the starter a couple of times and go. Twice the milage and twice the cost to buy a real DP. Same amount of enjoyment.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:11 AM   #26

yeah but the polar bears like diesels better

There are good reasons to go diesel, but saving dollars is not one of them anymore, if you are in a position to choose- diesel is the only responsible power, corn gas is insanity-to argue otherwise is silly.

I would not run any engine empty to check mpg, filling to a known level is the best way and it is absolutely accurate.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My coach has a computer to check the mileage, I would think most do.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
My coach has a computer to check the mileage, I would think most do.
Yep. I've used pencil and paper twice to double check it but both times it was amazingly accurate.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote