Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fuel Polishing

I have an algae problem in my 02' Monaco Windsor. I bought "Killem' biocide, now thinking about having a fuel polishing service come out and clean my fuel tank. Any thoughts on this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadburner View Post
I have an algae problem in my 02' Monaco Windsor. I bought "Killem' biocide, now thinking about having a fuel polishing service come out and clean my fuel tank. Any thoughts on this?
How much do they want to do this service? What do they do exactly?
Might be worth it vs treatments and a lot of fuel filters.......especially when they plug off going down the road......
Who is it that does it? A clean, fresh tank would rest your mind while traveling.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #3

Quote:
leadburner
If you have an "algae problem" professional fuel polishing may be the only solution.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I went thru this last year. I used Bio Bar fuel additive to shock the fuel. I think the least expensive way is to put in the additive and drive it to the lowest fuel level you dare. Buy some extra filters and be prepared to change them when needed. That is if you are able to change them yourself. If not, you are at the mercy of others. If you need to have the fuel polished, be sure to shop around. I found that the least expensive were located around a marina as they are kept busier by the larger boats and equipment. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Sorry I can't help with your question! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What about using fuel conditioners to prevent and stop algae growth?
Maybe somebody might know!
Old 01-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
MICROBIAL GROWTH vs. ALGAE
Microbial colonies, sometimes incorrectly referred to as algae, are actually bacteria or fungus. Algae needs light to live and grow, there is no sunlight in a closed fuel tank so algae cannot survive.

Bacteria in Diesel Fuel - Diesel Engine Problems - MyCleanDiesel.com
Old 01-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You have to kill the microbial growth FIRST with an microbial growth Shock Treatment. Then plan on changing all fuel filters at least three times or until the all of the dead microbial growth has been removed.

Then I would recommend a maintenace dose of Hammonds Biobor JF Diesel Fuel Treatment added to your fuel tank whenever you fill up.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the input! The one company I found here in the South Florida area that will service motor homes wants $450.00 to come out and remove any water/algae then run the remainder of the fuel thru the centrifuge to clean it. I'm sitting with about a Half tank now...
Old 01-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #10

If you have a severe algae problem, fuel polishing is the best way to go. It can take a lot of filter changes, at less than desirable times, to remedy the problem yourself. I too would suggest finding a mobile fuel polishing service near a boating town if possible.

I had the fuel polished in a trawler boat that I used to liveaboard. Shortly after purchasing the used boat, I was in big seas and the sloshing stirred up a lot of algae. Shutting down and drifting abeam to the waves is very dangerous and uncomfortable. Not to mention going below decks to change filters in those conditions. I limped in to a marina on one engine after a few filter changes. The mobile fuel polishing service said my tanks were the worst they had ever cleaned. It took a full day to do each 200 gallon tank. I started using Biobar with each fueling and never had repeat problems.
gruelens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for all the input! The one company I found here in the South Florida area that will service motor homes wants $450.00 to come out and remove any water/algae then run the remainder of the fuel thru the centrifuge to clean it. I'm sitting with about a Half tank now...
I am sorry, I forgot

Hummmmm, sitting at 1/2 tank, I would go with one of the additives suggested and buy some extra filters. Do you have a primary and secondary filter's? If so, what I call the primary filter(First in line/highest micron rating of the two) will take the biggest load of junk and will need changed a lot more than the secondary filter. If you do not have 2 filters, this would be a good time to think of installing one. Run the tank down even more with the additives in it, and then fill up. Keep your tank full at all times if you can, especially while sitting where you are at. Good luck and keep us posted
I think you can rid yourself of this problem for a lot less than $450......
Old 01-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I see that you are from Florida. Here in Canada I have never heard of the problem you describe. 40 years around Diesel trucks and such and never a problem.
Is this something you find in warm climates?
I am very curious to lean more.
Enlighten me please.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
I see that you are from Florida. Here in Canada I have never heard of the problem you describe. 40 years around Diesel trucks and such and never a problem.
Is this something you find in warm climates?
I am very curious to lean more.
Enlighten me please.
I was told by a northern NY boat yard that it is not an issue in freezing climates. They said the bugs died in the winter.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
However, rough seas or rough roads can stir up the sludge (dead bugs) and clog a fuel filter... Happened to me on Lake Champlain in my old 41' sailboat in rough seas

Tags
fuel