Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #1

Fuel pump selection

Good morning. Just registered and hoping to get some advice and suggestions. Need to replace fuel pump on 1997 Georgie Boy. Have drained old gas. Assume I need to lower tank ( 75 gallon ) unless the FP can be replaced w/o lowering ? Need to make sure I purchase the correct replacement pump. Suggestions where ? On e-bay ? Ford chassis F53. 7.5 liter engine / 460 cc. Is this a Ford Super Duty ? Thank you.
GeorgieBoy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Fairly certain you will have to lower the tank. BUT:Rumor ??:: Some MH may have an access panel in the floor above the tank, or some owners have cut one. My 90 Cruise Master did not..
Long discussion here about the Ford Chassis. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/ford-...ue-134265.html

I have lowered a tank in a 90 GBM - John Deere chassis to replace wiring for the sender. (*%#@* squirrels) but I've not worked on a Ford chassis.

BTW in the link above they talk about the tank "banging"- this is normal as the large tank expands and contracts.

Hope this helps and welcome to IRV-2
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
If you must remove the tank this should help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1997 F-53 Fuel Tank.pdf (136.0 KB, 53 views)
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
I bought my fuel pump at Rockauto.com, it's the updated one and on my '91 chassis also required the wire shunt (not sure your '97 will). I did a lot of measuring and eyeballing then made an access door in the floor just out side the foot of the bed. I also had to cut through the heating run but no big deal. It was much easier for me then draining nearly 75 gal. of gas and once the hole was cut it took about 20 minutes to replace the pump. Once the cutout is replaced and the carpet laid back down no one would ever know it's there.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #5

The ford F53 is not a super duty chassis as such, it has basically been spec'd by ford as a motorhome chassis, although there are similarities between the super duties and the F53 they are not the same unit.

If your MH has a basement then the tank will be under the basement floor and not directly below the bedroom flooring.
Often when dropping a tank with the pump mounted in the top, you only need to drain around half the fuel, you can then usually swing the tank downward on an angle leaving it hanging in its straps, with the straps loosened but still in place on one side.

This should provide ample space to replace the pump unit in the tank top, then you can just swing the tank back up and re-attach the straps.
A trolley or workshop floor jack and some blocks of wood will make the whole job easier to when you lower and lift the tank back in to place.
Cheers
Rusty
honkytonkinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Rusty, our HR has a basement but it doesn't extend over the fuel tank. I know cutting a hole in the floor is not something everyone wants to do but it was the easiest way for me. Even half a tank of fuel is heavy and if not supported correctly could be a problem if it slipped off the jack, plus it was much easier for me then laying under the motor home as I could do everything from above and there is plenty of room between the top of the tank and the floor in our motor home to undo the retaining bolts and wire harness. No matter which way you do it it's not something I would look forward to doing but had to be done.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #7

My son and I just did ours on our 33' HR. fought and fought but could not get the tank out. Don't know if it was HR or somebody else but a shield on the front of the tank would not come loose and the tabs on the sides of the tank were between it and the frame rails(I have a tag axle) I now have an acsess panel under my bed! the pump is a pfs48. got mine at Amazon for $309 with free shipping.
fishseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
The OP said he drained the old gas already.
So he shouldn't have a heavy 1/2 full tank to worry about.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel