Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #1

Fulltimers with with physical mail issues

We're currently full timing in Denver. We kept our sticks and bricks home in Florida and will be going back home once our business here in Denver sells. It's just over a year that we've been living in Denver. I did a temporary mailing address change for the 1st year; once the year lapsed I changed our address permanently with USPS.

I am constantly getting notices from credit card companies, insurance companies and a lot of other companies I do business with about having to make a permanent change to my address. These companies have been notified by the USPS that my address changed, which prompted their repeated requests to change my address.

I've even received several notices from my dental insurer that they will not pay my claims if my address has changed permanently and need to see a dentist in Denver. Ironically, I was just home in Tampa for a week and visited my dentist while there.

I would not have made a permanent address change if USPS hadn't sent me numerous letters stating that the temporary address change would expire after a years time.

I've been ignoring the letters to change my address with these companies for the time being, I really don't want to change my address since we're hoping to be home sooner than later.

We currently have 3 buyers looking at our business, so we're hoping one of them will buy and we can leave before the hail season.

Is this an anomaly, or is this a common issue for full timers?
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #2

Do you have a friend or relative in Florida that can receive mail for you and then forward it to you in Denver? That would be the easiest solution for the short time you would need. Just change your address to their address in Florida, that way the medical insurance issues go away and you can switch back when you return home.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #3

Your situation is not normal for majority of Full Timers

Most Full Timers use a 'Mail Forwarding Service' in the State they declare as their 'Domicile'
That is then their permanent official legal address

Go to Escapees ....they started out in TX but now also have FT'rs Mail Service in FL
Set up an account with them....then notify all of your NEW FL address.
All mail will go there then YOU notify them of where you want your mail forwarded to

https://www.escapees.com/mail-service/
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #4

We use SBI.
https://www.sbimailservice.com
Old 02-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #5

US Postal Mail Forwarding

I think it is an issue with US Postal. We travel all year but keep our home. Put in a change of address with US Postal and went on. All of a sudden we were getting HUGE postal charges for packages we ordered through Amazon and er online places. Seems UPS and FEDEX has this agreement for US Postal to deliver for them. Amazon ships by UPS and FEDEX and they drop it at US Postal and they deliver under contract. Problem is, US Postal will not forward since both shipping companies get a lower rate. So I had to pay shipping. It was more than the original and the item! I went to post office and they explained this to me. SO I figure a way around it but in the mean time, I have several packages sent back to the shipper by the post office. I go to them and they can not explain how it happened. SO I ask them point blank how to fix the issue. Then they tell me I can have mail forwarded for 6 months and renew it again if I want to. However, they will not forward any packages under the original shippers postage. I have to pay it. Okay, I agree and they then tell me that after 30 days they no longer forward any magazines. Period. They also don't return them.

Fortunately, they gave me a solution. I have to tell everyone who sends me anything that my address is the physical address of the Post Office with the box number as my apartment. I still have my physical address and as far as anyone is concerned, my addre
ss is still in my hometown, about 3 blocks from my house.
katielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielee View Post
I think it is an issue with US Postal. We travel all year but keep our home. Put in a change of address with US Postal and went on. All of a sudden we were getting HUGE postal charges for packages we ordered through Amazon and er online places. Seems UPS and FEDEX has this agreement for US Postal to deliver for them. Amazon ships by UPS and FEDEX and they drop it at US Postal and they deliver under contract. Problem is, US Postal will not forward since both shipping companies get a lower rate. So I had to pay shipping. It was more than the original and the item! I went to post office and they explained this to me. SO I figure a way around it but in the mean time, I have several packages sent back to the shipper by the post office. I go to them and they can not explain how it happened. SO I ask them point blank how to fix the issue. Then they tell me I can have mail forwarded for 6 months and renew it again if I want to. However, they will not forward any packages under the original shippers postage. I have to pay it. Okay, I agree and they then tell me that after 30 days they no longer forward any magazines. Period. They also don't return them.

Fortunately, they gave me a solution. I have to tell everyone who sends me anything that my address is the physical address of the Post Office with the box number as my apartment. I still have my physical address and as far as anyone is concerned, my addre
ss is still in my hometown, about 3 blocks from my house.
I'm sorry you're having similar problems, but in a strange way I'm glad I'm not the only one. What's the expression, "misery seeks company". Well I wouldn't say I'm miserable, just frustrated.

I think some of the problems I'm experiencing is partly due to the address we are currently using for our "permanent" address which is a commercial address, not residential. We receive all our mail at our business, we don't even have a mailbox in the RV park we live in and prefer it that way.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If your problem is with credit card statements, insurance bills, etc. just go to "paperless billing" on everything you can. The rest is probably junk mail which you don't need anyway.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
If your problem is with credit card statements, insurance bills, etc. just go to "paperless billing" on everything you can. The rest is probably junk mail which you don't need anyway.
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. If at all possible I do everything paperless and have for years.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Fulltimers with with physical mail issues

I am about to encounter this as we are buying a lot and “moving “ to Florida but will not be here always .. sometimes over a year . The post office will only forward for 6 months and one 6 month addl period . If you do file permanently , notification goes To all who ask for it .. notice the request in print on the envelope. credit cards dL etc all get that notice “ moved” as the request “forwarding service “ a notice goes back that you moved. Take care of it as you will soon get cancellation notices for ins .. investment accounts etc
Set up a mail forwarding service .. use that address for your mailing address .. you can still keep your real address if needed ( investment accounts etc) but most CC. Will allow you a residence address and a mailing address ( normally a po box ) just use the mailing address to the forwarder
Escapees, ST Brendan’s isle ( SBI) and several others are who you need to contact
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #10

I think your problem is not have your permanent address in Florida. That's your domicile and that's what you should use. Get a mail forwarding service there for all of your mail. They will then forward it to you in Denver whenever you request it to be done.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I think your problem is not have your permanent address in Florida. That's your domicile and that's what you should use. Get a mail forwarding service there for all of your mail. They will then forward it to you in Denver whenever you request it to be done.
yes I agree, I think that would eliminate the issues I'm having. I almost never procrastinate, but in this case I'm guilty. This is mostly due to the fact I hate living in Denver and desperately hoping we sell our business very soon and move back to our home in Florida; that would solve the mail issue and then some.

Tags
fulltime