Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #1

Fulltiming in current abode, how about you?

Well, I think I have decided to cash in and retire from the old FD. With all that is happening with the economy, and the ruinization of the great state of Caleeefornea (as Arnold says), it's time.

My plan was to upgrade to around 42' DP with 400+ HP, side radiator, tag axle, four slides, Hydro hot, Jake brake, lots of basement storage with slide out trays, and a exterior compartment freezer to carry around; Maine lobster, Gulf shrimp, and Western beef.

The reality, I will start the adventure in my current Itasca Suncruiser 33V with lots of creature comfort but not as much CCC as the DP, and my current toad; 03 Jeep GC Overland. So, I will carry less and want more. Maybe someday I can get something for my Suncruiser on a trade or sell it out right, but not today.

What are the rest of you fulltiming in? In particular how about smaller rigs like mine. I just keep telling myself how much gas I can buy for what the DP was gonna cost me

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Good luck Greg, we gave fulltiming some thought in 2000 and decided against it since we would have to seek out warm climate in the winter, returning to the South West. We opted for a double wide in a senior park, feeling comfortable leaving for months at a time.

I presume you read my comments in the "California tax increases" thread. While we would retain medical benefits if we left, we would lose our Kaiser medical plan. Just too much of a gamble down the road.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FDchief...
the dw and i and our 2 furkids, 14 year old cats, bubba and sissy, fulltime in our 35 ft winne when we are on the mainland.
we have been in wa. since august this time.

some good points of the winne:
2 slideouts
the shower floor is big enough for the littermaid automatic litter box.

:(some not so good points:
the workhorse brake issue.
need more storage space inside and outside.
we are close to max gw.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Mothership
Congrats!

Congratulations "FD Chief" from "FD Eng"!!! I gotta tell ya, retirement is great! We are not fulltimers yet,:( but hope to be when my wife retires.
Just wanted to wish you and your bride the best in your travels.
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are sorting "things" out and trying to store a few things for the Grandkids or for us later, if we have to go again in an Apt. or so?!
As soon as the house is sold, we get the Kountry Star 3910 with a lot of stuff, incl. 400 horses. Have to wait another year to go on the road, since the DW is still working. Hope that the health will be good. We like to make again our trips from the 60's!!!!!!!? Route 66 and esp. West Texas again.
See you on the road
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Talking

well..I have been living in a 25 foot mh pulling a flatbed and a truck on that and fulltime. Maybe its the lack of junk but it could be the storage shed we have, 6X10. But have been that way with interior construction coming to a close soon. The old lady ain't got rid of me yet so must not be to small...Maybe she waiting for me to finish???
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #7

Thanks for all the well wishes. I guess we aren't alone with a smaller moho/trailer for fulltiming. I understand concerns of medical coverage while on the road. I am fortunate in that I have lifetime medical after retirement which purchases the Medicare supplement at the mandatory age.

I have all Spring/Summer to get the Suncruiser in tip top shape for the coming September launch. It is just now old enough for things like new batteries, tires, flushing brake fluid and lubing the caliper pins, and changing differential fluid, and coolant. I have already made the switch to transynd so I am good there. I also noticed my slide toppers are starting to show a some degradation. Oh how I love projects! On the other hand, I think about all of the time I will have to polish the Alcoa wheels in stead of mowing the lawn and preparing the house for the next onslaught of Winter while I sit on a beach in Florida

By the way, I am on my third dash cluster but all in all, We love the Suncruiser.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Greg,

As you recall, we once had identical RVs (come to think of it - Overlands, too ).

We went to a 40' and now a 42' Allegro Bus. Without a doubt, the 42' coach is perfect for full-timing in. But, I've seen all sorts of RVs in campsites that are fulltimed in. I know you take care of your 33V so it must be in good shape. The biggest limitation is the size. It all depends on how much "stuff" you need to carry. The interior isn't the worst on the 33V but the basement space really lacks. I installed one of the basement freezers on my 33V and loved it so much that we now have two of them and wouldn't be without them. It makes a huge difference in being able to eat affordably and well. Picking up saefood from the Pacific Northwest, Huckleberry ice cream kegs from the factory in Billings, MT, elk from Colorado, Bison from Wyoming makes for some interesting grocery trips.

It does take up a chunk of space in the 33V though and that really cuts down on what's left in the limited basement space. The Itasca is also not insulated nearly as well as theTiffin. If you stick to warm weather you're okay but if you want to try fall camping in the Yellowstone area you're going to want to haul a propane tank trailer behind you.

But, it will hold together and get you started on the full-time adventure. When the time is right you can do the upgrade. The biggest concern is if you can live with the limited room available.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #9

Cruzer, thanks for the words of encouragement on the Suncruiser, but like Tim Allen would say "way bigger is mo better"! I am sure it won't be long until the bigger bites me in the you know where.

And yes, we even had the same color motorhomes and Overlands. Hope all is well with your Tiffin. Still recommending them?

Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 AM   #10

Congrats on your retirement! I also retired from FD here in Florida about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Although we are not fulltimers, we do enjoy our travel. We recently selected a 43' Allegro Bus with a tag axle, side radiator and 425 hp engine. After traveling on our western trip last year the single axle rig we had felt like I was driving a billboard in the strong winds wen encountered. The only two items that we don't have on our Bus that we have at home is a DVR and a garbage disposal. One can be added the other is not an option!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
Cruzer, thanks for the words of encouragement on the Suncruiser, but like Tim Allen would say "way bigger is mo better"! I am sure it won't be long until the bigger bites me in the you know where.

And yes, we even had the same color motorhomes and Overlands. Hope all is well with your Tiffin. Still recommending them?
Yes, I've been very impressed with the Tiffin lineup. They recently came out with an Allegro rear diesel pusher. With a sticker at $185K that puts it into the $140K end price range. I posted reviews of that coach as well as the 42QRH, 43QRP and others on my website at http://www.rvcruzer.com if you're interested.

Also have some Suncruiser photos on that site. It'll be as if your coach was looking into a mirror.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #12

Cruzer,

Nice site. I loved the Yellowstone photos...thanks!

Steve
Old 03-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #13

I too enjoyed visiting your site Cruzer. Keep sharing your experiences and knowledge with the group. I relied on your advice when I was shopping for my current Jeep and couldn't be happier with my Overland. I know others and well as myself respect your knowledge of mechanical things.