Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Funky Fridge

Ok, our fridge has been working fine for the couple weeks it has been on. The other night, we grabbed out our hamburger, and noticed that it turned brown and spoiled overnight. The fridge was in the high 40's, instead of the mid-high 30's.

That same night, I had to tilt the MH to run water away from the vent up front as I hadn't sealed it yet, and water got under the tarp (heavy winds and rain). It then wouldn't drop below 55.

I sealed the vent Tuesday night, and last night I leveled the MH back out, and drained the gray and black tanks. Today it is back down to 38 degrees.

I know the fridge being level is a big factor in its cooling ability, but I can't figure out why it would have lost it's cooling power before I tilted the MH, then work fine now.

Also, what is the absolute best place in a fridge to put a level to figure out if it is in fact level? Every spot I try (even multiple spots on the bottom of the fridge and freezer), gives a slightly different reading. How can I adjust for holding tanks? All 3 tanks are on the same side of the MH as the fridge. I don't have stabilizers yet.
SyrenSkywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #2

The refer sits in a cabinet that should be level with the kitchen counter. That's generally where I check for level. If you want to double check that, you could use the freezer shelf?

You say you had a tarp over the coach. Could it have been over the top of the refer vent up there - preventing the heat from escaping? That would sure mess up it's ability to cool for sure.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Wolf dude - I need first to congraqtulate you on being smart enough to ask this question. I bet you get somw weirdo answers, too. I have asked the fidge tech support line this same question, and they told me (twice I called) that the freezer floor is the absolute proper place to level. Of course, when the fridge is full, ya can't see the freezer floor, can ya? So - I figgered this out - first, put the level on the freezer floor and get the freezer floor as level as possible using the jacks, or whatever you have. Then, using the same level, find a place somewhere in the kitchen that is also dead level and mark it. From now on, you need only to level to that spot and know the freezer floor is also level. Or, you could do the lazy mans way and if it feels level after you park it, leave it. That's no where near good enough for me, though.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Was going to reply last night, but lost internet. Good thing I saved what I wanted to say in a word file.

@ahicks: There is plenty of air space up there. Considering it has a cover, I wouldn't think it would mess with it, especially since it was fine before as well as now, and the tarp has been on there the whole time. Hopefully after this weekend I won't need the tarp anymore (sealing the roof).

@nbounder: Thanks for the advice on that. I was never sure where exactly to go off of for that. Only big issue is, I just checked, and the freezer has different readings for every spot I try lol *sighs*
Old 08-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrenSkywolf View Post
Was going to reply last night, but lost internet. Good thing I saved what I wanted to say in a word file.

@ahicks: There is plenty of air space up there. Considering it has a cover, I wouldn't think it would mess with it, especially since it was fine before as well as now, and the tarp has been on there the whole time. Hopefully after this weekend I won't need the tarp anymore (sealing the roof).

@nbounder: Thanks for the advice on that. I was never sure where exactly to go off of for that. Only big issue is, I just checked, and the freezer has different readings for every spot I try lol *sighs*
you should update your signature block with info about your rv.
i level to the middle of the freezer floor.
depending on what type of fridge you have and how old it is, it may have a defrost cycle for just the fridge compartment. mine does.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
It is currently set at its coldest setting, and is hovering around 40. We'll see if that changes now that the tarp is off of the motorhome.

The fridge is an Elixir Trav'ler, possibly the original one for this mh. I haven't seen a defrost setting on it.

I thought I had put all that in my signature, guess not. Never looked lol. It's a 1978 Tioga
Old 08-06-2011, 02:38 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrenSkywolf View Post
It is currently set at its coldest setting, and is hovering around 40. We'll see if that changes now that the tarp is off of the motorhome.

The fridge is an Elixir Trav'ler, possibly the original one for this mh. I haven't seen a defrost setting on it.

I thought I had put all that in my signature, guess not. Never looked lol. It's a 1978 Tioga
i am not familiar with your brand fridge. 40 degrees for a fridge that old looks pretty good.
my norcold n822 defrosts the fridge automatically every 3-5 days. i cannot change the cycle or stop it. my freezer needs to be manually defrosted every 4 weeks or so. we live in the moho full time. my fridge runs 40-50 degrees during defrosting. normally it runs 30-32 degrees with the freezer 5-6 degrees. the setting is 6 out of 9.
i would like the fridge to run 35-38 degrees and the freezer 0 degrees.
i have been adjusting the position of the thermistor for 5 years and it is about as good as it gets now.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, I think, even with all the space under the tarp thanks to all the vents keeping it up, it was the main culprit. Guess the hot air couldn't leave the area fast enough.

The tarp is now off of the roof, and the fridge is 34 at the moment, with the setting about 1/2 on the dial. Was down to 30 this morning before adjusting a tad. Guess having completely open air to vent out to was definitely needed.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Still a little funky. Without adjusting it from where it currently is, I've seen it as low as 29, and as high as 49 degrees (and that is just today).

Could it be the thermostat is bad? Can that be replaced on these?

Tags
fridge