Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #1

I have a 2002 Winnebago Journey 36L equipped with a 40,000 btu furnace.When I use the furnace, I get a distinct odor of burning rubber inside the coach.I am the second owner and I just purchased it in November of 2006.I have previously used 3 or 4 times without any smell.It doesnt appear safe.Any insight would be grateful

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #2

I have a 2002 Winnebago Journey 36L equipped with a 40,000 btu furnace.When I use the furnace, I get a distinct odor of burning rubber inside the coach.I am the second owner and I just purchased it in November of 2006.I have previously used 3 or 4 times without any smell.It doesnt appear safe.Any insight would be grateful

Old 01-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
When initially burning our LP furnace for the season I will get a burnt smell or other unpleasant odor however with repeated use the problem dissipates and doesn't present any odor after a number of cycles.

If your odor remains consistent have it evaluated by a service professional. I thinking that it will go away after a number of cycles.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
paz

I get the burnt smell DriVer talks about the first time using the furnace even after it sits a few days. Sometimes it is worse after driving, which must jar dust inside the furnace loose.

That being said, you still may want to do a little checking. Without getting into a big deal taking the furnace apart, you should be able to remove the furnace intake grill to look inside to make sure someone didn't stuff something through the grill or to make sure something didn't get sucked in. Also, even though the furnace should not light if the inlet or the outlet is severely restricted, I would look in the outlet vent outside the RV as well with a flashlight just to be sure the flue is clear (at least for the limited distance you will be able to see).
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I suggest that someone/something may have stuck something in the air inlet if it continues.

I agree with the statements about the initial "heat" smell when initially starting and also the service call if the smell continues.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Muskie175, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us. As you can see we like to help each other out with questions we have. Make certain that none of your vent registers are blocked off and if the smell does not go away after awhile then investigate further. The wiring on the furnace is on one side and the heat exchanger is on the other. THis is not to say that other wire is not too close to the fire but is not likely. Good luck and let us know the outcome of this. Thank you. I have added a shortcut to the New Member section.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:09 AM   #7

May be good good idea to do,is to take the top of the heat vents and reach as far as you can with a vacuum cleaner and clean out. I do this every so often. You would be surprised to see all the dust,hair and other stuff in there.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:31 AM   #8

Have you check whole house filter under bed? Can buy a better filer at any hardware store.

02 Honda CRV (Toad)
RV_Hal is offline   Reply With Quote