Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My holding tanks and plumbing are supposively heated from the funace and if I keep the coach comfortable, the water and lines should be fine.
I did'nt freeze any lines on our last trip but I found a couple of potential problems.
#1 The cab heater keeps the MH comfortable, especially in the front half of the MH and the thermostat is in the front AC unit, not too far from the cab.
I noticed it was quite a bit colder the farther back I went. So I turned the thermostat up, higher than I wanted to so the cab heater would'nt keep the thermostat from starting the furnace.
However , while I'm driving and comfortable , I don't notice that the furnace may not be coming on. When I stop and nitice that it's pretty cold in the bedroom, sometimes I would have to turn the furnace completely off and restart it, to get it to run and light.
I guess this could be caused by 1 or both of two things. The cab heater works too well, or at 65 MPH or so plus it often was very windy conditions, the funace could'nt light because of the wind.
The funace seems to work fine when sitting still.
Theoreticaly the water lines could freeze if the furnace does'nt heat the compartments.
Surely I can't be the only one to notice this condition.
Is there any thing that can be done about it?

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My holding tanks and plumbing are supposively heated from the funace and if I keep the coach comfortable, the water and lines should be fine.
I did'nt freeze any lines on our last trip but I found a couple of potential problems.
#1 The cab heater keeps the MH comfortable, especially in the front half of the MH and the thermostat is in the front AC unit, not too far from the cab.
I noticed it was quite a bit colder the farther back I went. So I turned the thermostat up, higher than I wanted to so the cab heater would'nt keep the thermostat from starting the furnace.
However , while I'm driving and comfortable , I don't notice that the furnace may not be coming on. When I stop and nitice that it's pretty cold in the bedroom, sometimes I would have to turn the furnace completely off and restart it, to get it to run and light.
I guess this could be caused by 1 or both of two things. The cab heater works too well, or at 65 MPH or so plus it often was very windy conditions, the funace could'nt light because of the wind.
The funace seems to work fine when sitting still.
Theoreticaly the water lines could freeze if the furnace does'nt heat the compartments.
Surely I can't be the only one to notice this condition.
Is there any thing that can be done about it?

Old 01-14-2007, 02:39 PM   #3

Max49
Not to ask a stupid question but how often are you driving your motorhome when the ambient temperature is below freezing
So far as the furnace not operating at 65mph,there is probably negative air pressure at the inlet and outlet tubes of the furnace on the outside of the motorhome.This may not allow the ignitor to do its job.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Old 01-14-2007, 03:03 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not real often but we live in Co and generally vacation in Ca., Vegas or Fl. Always in the winter time. This year Anaheim and Huntinton Bch had up to 84 degrees. When we left and got back to Co , it was 7 degrees. All across I-70 is pretty cold in the winter.
I just thought other people have ran into this situation before.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Max,
I make it a practice not to be in weather that cold. Retired, so that is not difficult. If you have significant concern - stop at a rest stop every couple of hours and turn the heater on. After fifteen minuets the compartments will be warm, you could have had a snack and a rest and the puppy (if you have one) will have had a walk.

Green lights and soft breezes,
Old 01-15-2007, 06:50 AM   #6

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
That is what we do also.I also installed a sheild to prevent the wind from blowing out the flame going down the road at 70 mph, in case I am in a hurry , if just taking out time , we just stop every 2 or 3 hours and start up the furnace to warm up the coach then shut it down and drive with front heater on.