Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #1

gaining engine oil

1996 CC 8.3 Cummins The oil level increases and the back of the bus gets oily. Had the lift pump replaced. Still having issues. No smoking or run problems . Doesnt seem to start as fast as it used to. I'm trying to decide what to do next
Blue Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Cat

I sure would have a oil analysis done. You could be and I think it is fuel getting into your oil, if it was coolant you would see the oil change color and see condensation and gray runny looking water at you engine oil fill cap. Fuel you will not be able to see. But getting fuel or coolant into your engine oil is very serious. I'm not familar with the Cummins engine but I am with Cat diesel engines. None of them will live very long with fuel in the crankcase. This causes the lubrication qualities in the oil to decrease. This can and will cause turbocharger failures or main and rod bearing failures. A fuel dilution of only 6% can be seriuos- the higher the more likely it will damage your engine. Pull a sample send it in and if you have to drive change the engine oil after pulling the sample and before you drive it. Good luck.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #3

Thanks I am sure it is fuel in the oil.trying to decide where it is coming from .
Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bus View Post
1996 CC 8.3 Cummins The oil level increases and the back of the bus gets oily.
I am told that's a sign of fuel in the oil. I don't really understand how that works to cause excess oil in the exhaust. So, don't bet the farm on it.
Good luck!
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:00 AM   #5

Several years ago, I had a cracked piston and ring set. As the engine fired, it pressurized the crank case through the cracks in the piston and forced oil out the slobber tube covering the engine and back of the RV with oil.

Yours doesn't sound this volcanic, but it does sound like a bad fuel injector or injector pump front seal leak. Fuel is being forced throught the bad injector or around the injector pump seal and into the crankcase where pressurization (piston slap) is forcing the excess out the slobber tube.

I don't know how to troubleshoot those 2 issues without going to a diesel mechanic ($$$). Hopefully, it won't cost too much.

Let us know how this ends.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #6

A bad injector is almost always the source of fuel in the oil. They have o-rings around them that can be damaged or broken.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
A bad injector is almost always the source of fuel in the oil. They have o-rings around them that can be damaged or broken.
Not so much a bad injector as Orings. If it runs alright I would replace all the Orings.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #8

Blue Bus

Bus is in the shop. Injecter pump has bad seal. Needs seals 800 or a rebuild 2000. Hope seals thats all moma can aford. Thanks for the imput.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
Cat

Good Luck. I hope its just seals!
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
I agree. Faulty injectors will leak fuel into the cylinder, which in turn leaks by piston rings-into the crankcase. This will wash lubrication from cylinder walls and cause hot spots, scoring, broken rings, in addition to other issues stated in a previous reply.
Any authorized Cummins repair facility can run a leak-down test on the high pressure fuel system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote