Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Garmin RV760 GPS Support

Don't know how many of you forum members are using the Garmin RV760 GPS unit for routing guidance. Until the latest software update, I had been very happy with it's performance. I have also used the Bridge height POI product from Low Clearances for the added benefit of its enhanced bridge listings.

After I installed the 5.40 software update into the GPS unit, I also loaded the latest POI file from Low Clearances. On the next power cycle of the unit, it began a constant reboot cycle which could not be corrected. Initially I thought that there might be a corrupted POI file but after contacting Low Clearances, they indicated that no other customer had reported any issues with the file.

A Customer service session with Garmin resulted in my having the send the unit back and the purchase of a re-manufactured unit. Upon receipt of that unit, I loaded the 5.40 software and then the POI files. Once again, the unit went into a reboot cycle. I eventually had to return that unit and was issued a replacement.

With the replacement I took a different approach. I loaded the 5.40 software, but then loaded the POI files onto an SD card. With the SD card in the unit, the GPS failed as the others had. If I removed the card, the unit ran correctly. I had previously scanned the POI file and found no errors in any of the entries. Low Clearances had also sent the file to Garmin and they could find no fault either and they did admit that they could reproduce the fault.

The situation that I'm currently in is that Garmin has promised a fix, but won't commit as to when. Technically they own me the cost of the refurbished unit, but I doubt that I'll see that either. What I find amazing is that I appear to be the only one with this problem. I guess no one else is using an RV760 with Low Clearances POI files, so it's a non issue with Garmin.

The moral of this story is that there is little or no customer support at Garmin, so if your Garmin unit breaks, find another manufacturer. My rant is finished.

LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2017, 11:55 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So the 760 doesn’t handle low clearance routing unless you use an add-on file? I thought that was the whole point of an RV/truck GPS

Old 10-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've been using the RV760 for over a year and 'm not happy with the performance. On a recent trip from my home about 3 hours north of Yellowstone, it was correct about half the time with directions. I've made this trip many times on the same route so I know all the junctions. It even directed me to turn onto a farmers dirt road to his farm so that was cause enough to turn off the device. To be honest I wish I had my Garmin 7200 street pilot back, it was never wrong.
BigSkyBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
LAT-LON-

I will have to see what version of software I have on our 760 and (if I'm feeling up for it), try loading the Low Clearances POI database- or perhaps just a part of it.

Stripe34-

Low Clearance's claim to fame is that their POI database has hundreds more low clearance points than provided by Garmin with the map data they buy and then package to users as updates.

All-

I've been pleased with the 760, after three years of use. It is, at times, frustratingly quirky.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:42 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I have the same GPS and if I loaded a 3rd party software on it and it no longer worked, I would be going after the 3rd party software vendor and not Garmin.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Stripe34 - The Low Clearances database is a of bridge and tunnel height clearances that has been formatted to work as accumulation of points of interest (POI). These POI data points are then overlayed onto the routing maps and will alert the driver if any height clearance problems will occur along a planned route. The RV760 has some of these data points but not a list as complete as Low Clearances claims to deliver. The Low Clearances file has to be manually loaded into the GPS as a third party POI file.

BigSkyBob - I've been relatively happy with my units performance, but none of the units available on the market are infallible.

l1v3fr33ord1 - If you are running 5.40 be careful. Load the POI files on an SD card just to be safe. If you run into problems, you can remove the SD card and restore operation. The earlier versions of software did not present any problems.

hdzcar - I cannot speak to how the 5.40 software will react to other 3rd party files. Initially, I thought that it was the Low Clearances files, but eventually Garmin admitted that they could reproduce the problem and that the Low Clearances files were no to blame. Even if the problem was with the 3rd party files, the Garmin unit software should have been robust enough to protect itself and not self destruct.

My issue with Garmin isn't so much that it happened, it's how they are handling the situation. I'm a retired engineer and I know that stuff happens. It's just a measure of a company as to how they handle the fallout that really matters. I got charged for a replacement unit that broke due to their defective software and they are reluctant to fix the underlying problem.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #7

I've had the Low Clearances POIs installed in the RV 760 for about four years now, internal storage. I did have a card in the unit but took it out after a while when I found that I didn't need it.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
As I mentioned, it wasn't until after I updated the unit to the latest 5.40 software that the problem occurred. Map updates were not the problem.

If you are running the 5.40 software and the Low Clearances POI files aren't causing a problem, I'd like to know.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hmm, we have two 760lmt's and just not have felt the need for adding any third party stuff to it... they both have worked flawlessly, just like my previous 3 or 4 garmins...
can't even remember the first garmin, maybe a 1020 in a shoulder bag it was so big

having worked in this 'puter industry for too long, I've seen some things that SHOULD talk to each other but don't, like some marriages
Old 10-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #10

Yes, v5.40 software and Low Clearance POI. One factor may be that I installed the POI back in 2013 and never updated.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #11

I had a Garmin 760 and had a few routing issues with it. Garmin tech support worked with me for a long time trying to resolve the problem. They finally told me to return it for replacement at their expense and replaced it with the new 770. I can't say enough about how well they worked with me.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
JohnBoyToo - Had also working in the industry for many many years. Went coding a machine, you always tried to protect it from outside influences. Especially core operating functions. Somebody just dropped the ball.

johnhicks - Guess my problem is that I always try to keep my units up to date. Should always allow the software to "mature", as we used to say" before loading it onto a machine.

TonyDi - I've always been partial to Garmin units, but their customer support never impressed me that much. I worked with them regarding a routing issue a few years back. The software would never use a local road that was perfectly usable for RV's. Commercial big rig drivers use it all the time. They acknowledged the road, but nothing ever happened. Good for you that they offered the 770. I was never given that option, even though they admitted fault.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Let's see you are using Ford headers on a Chevy motor and they leak so check should fix the problem. See my analogy? The PIO file is corrupt if the one that came with the 760 functions. When one thinks about how many bits of info is used to make a route there will be problems. Each segment of road has info connected to it to allow or disallow its use in a route. It's not just a line on a map. Then the education needed to understand how to operate the GPS in the manner you are requesting of the computer within. I'm still amazed that, that small box can tell were your at on a map that may or may not be in the correct Lat and Log then also guide you to a destination. At times I wonder how many read the manual then understand what that option does.

LEN
Old 10-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I had a Garmin 760 and had a few routing issues with it. Garmin tech support worked with me for a long time trying to resolve the problem. They finally told me to return it for replacement at their expense and replaced it with the new 770. I can't say enough about how well they worked with me.
I'm planning to get some sort of Nav aid. Reading on the Amazon forum, it seems that the 770 has many more problems than the 760 (or maybe just a lot more people reporting).

What is you impression of the 770 - as compared to the 760? Which would you recommend?

Tags
gps