Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Station prices vary widely, I suppose - around here, the PFJ stations at the foot of the Delaware Memorial Bridge are the lowest around - usually 5 to 7 cents, or even more, than the Exxon/Citgo/Sunoco/Coastal stations around here. We do have a low gas tax in NJ, so our prices are still 20 or 30 cents below Delaware, Maryland and PA. But I try to gas up at the PFJs if I'm up in that area, as my pump price, between the Good Sam card and the lower price to start with, can be 20 or 25 cents less than what I pay here in Salem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know this thread is a bit old but I just got back from a 4000 mile trip and used my pen fed cash card with the full 5% and I have $5 in a checking, $25 in a money market. 5% of $3.50 gallon is $0.17. That's a big help!

Old 07-08-2014, 05:46 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Use mine for all my gas. I save $30 to $40 each month when not traveling and saved a high of $80 one month when traveling.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannahdan View Post
I know this thread is a bit old but I just got back from a 4000 mile trip and used my pen fed cash card with the full 5% and I have $5 in a checking, $25 in a money market. 5% of $3.50 gallon is $0.17. That's a big help!

Dan, for me it's a "no-brainer"! I don't understand why anyone would not get the PenFed card and save that 5%! I use it for the MH and both other vehicles.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Dan, for me it's a "no-brainer"! I don't understand why anyone would not get the PenFed card and save that 5%! I use it for the MH and both other vehicles.
Because I think they've changed the requirements - if you go to sign up for one now, you need a MINIMUM of $250 in a checking account or M/M fund.

https://www.penfed.org/Platinum-Cash-Rewards/

Evidently, if you got the Rewards card earlier, the new requirements don't apply. In my case, I'm a new PenFed member but I just didn't think it was worth the $250 I'd have to send them as hostage payoff. I'd have to buy almost 2,000 gallons to get the $250 back ( say $3.50 per gallon, 5% is 17 cents, I already get 4 cents off with P/FJ Good Sam, so that's 13 cents per gallon savings if I did have the PenFed card. $250 divided by 13 cents - 1,923 gallons.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #34
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey View Post
Because I think they've changed the requirements - if you go to sign up for one now, you need a MINIMUM of $250 in a checking account or M/M fund.

https://www.penfed.org/Platinum-Cash-Rewards/

Evidently, if you got the Rewards card earlier, the new requirements don't apply. In my case, I'm a new PenFed member but I just didn't think it was worth the $250 I'd have to send them as hostage payoff. I'd have to buy almost 2,000 gallons to get the $250 back ( say $3.50 per gallon, 5% is 17 cents, I already get 4 cents off with P/FJ Good Sam, so that's 13 cents per gallon savings if I did have the PenFed card. $250 divided by 13 cents - 1,923 gallons.

Jim, their website is a little confusing. I just talked with a PenFed representative and you can qualify for the 5% rebate by having any ONE of the products listed in the box, which includes the Money Market saving account with only a $25.00 deposit. Also, remember that you are not giving them the $25, it's still yours in a savings account and you can get it back any time you want. You do have to be a member of the credit union, but anyone can qualify for that as they have so many ways! Hope this helps!

Old 07-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #35

Actually you can't get your money back at any time. They told me that I could not get mine back unless I went into a branch and shut down my account in person.

The bottom line is why jump through all of their hoops when you can get 5% back on other cards that make it much simpiler.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Actually you can't get your money back at any time. They told me that I could not get mine back unless I went into a branch and shut down my account in person.

The bottom line is why jump through all of their hoops when you can get 5% back on other cards that make it much simpiler.

Steven, what other cards will give you 5% back?

Old 07-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
There may be other cards but I don't know of any. PenFed also has great rate on auto loans and CDs. Since I joined several other friends have joined and all seem very pleased with PenFed overall.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #38

I put $100 in a PenFed savings account a couple of years ago. That same $100 would have I think been in a different savings account. The $100 is earning interest just like it would in my other credit union account (not much) but I have the benefit of 5% with the PenFed card. I use a lot of fuel and I'm on my way to my third $500 gift card refund. Works for me and I didn't notice any hoops to go through.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #39

There are others.

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/top-c...-credit-cards/

Some folks buy more than fuel.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
There are others.

NerdWallet’s Best Cash Back Credit Cards, Spring 2014

Some folks buy more than fuel.

It looks like most of those give larger rebates on specific items each quarter. I use the Chase Freedom MasterCard on all my purchases except fuel. I get 1% rebate on everything I buy, and 5% on specific purchases each quarter. Sometimes the 5% includes gas. I don't think it ever includes diesel.

I just keep it simple. I use the PenFed card on ALL my fuel purchases, gas AND diesel, and know that I will ALWAYS get 5% rebate. I use the Chase MasterCard on everything else and know that I will ALWAYS get at least 1% rebate. Works for me!

Old 07-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #41

Chase and Discover give me 5% back (many of their cards have a rotating 5%), Citibank has a rotating 5%. But I get higher rewards on normal purchases on Chase 1.5%-3% and Discover 1-3% than PenFed. Plus I don't have the hassles that PenFed creates (see my other posts).

Bottom line is if it works for you - GREAT It doesn't work for me and I find other cards that give me better cash rewards so it's no big loss.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #42
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Chase and Discover give me 5% back (many of their cards have a rotating 5%), Citibank has a rotating 5%. But I get higher rewards on normal purchases on Chase 1.5%-3% and Discover 1-3% than PenFed. Plus I don't have the hassles that PenFed creates (see my other posts).

Bottom line is if it works for you - GREAT It doesn't work for me and I find other cards that give me better cash rewards so it's no big loss.

Steven, can you tell me which Chase & Discover cards give you 5% everyday on gas and the higher rates on regular purchases. I'm fine with PenFed on fuel, but would like to earn extra money on other purchases.

Also, do the Chase & Discover give the 5% on diesel? My Chase Freedom card does not cover diesel.

Thanks for your input!

Tags
gas