Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #43

Gas card

If there us no discount on diesel, there is no value for me.

I get my 5% discount and more by avoiding Loves and P/FJ, and using a card that gives me even more.

YMMV.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #44

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's so weird that others are having a tough time with pen fed. I have $5 in a checking and $25 in a money market and I get 5% off gas purchases all the time with no annual fee. The nerd wallet link gave a lot of rotating options and others with annual fees and/or a max amount you can spend in a month to receive the cash reward. Honestly, I haven't found a better offer than pen feds on gas and I think it's worth the $30 bucks that I can get back if I choose to close my account. I use it only for fuel.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #45

I got the pen fed card as a result of earlier postings on this thread...it has worked out perfectly! I also use my Smith's rewards card at the Smith's station as my last fill up. Depending on my monthly purchases at Smith's I usually get 40 cents off a gallon--up to 35 gallons.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Steven, can you tell me which Chase & Discover cards give you 5% everyday on gas and the higher rates on regular purchases. I'm fine with PenFed on fuel, but would like to earn extra money on other purchases.

Also, do the Chase & Discover give the 5% on diesel? My Chase Freedom card does not cover diesel.

Thanks for your input!
Are you sure the Chase Freedom card won't give the 5% on diesel? I use it at F/J and have got it.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
All I know is, RIGHT NOW, to get the PenFed Platinum CASH Rewards VISA Card, "Plus" version with 5% off on gas, the web site says you need $250 in a checking account or a Money Market certificate, of which the minimum OPENING deposit is $1,000. The "Standard" version card is 3%, with a $25 yearly fee (first year is $0).

As stated before, these requirements were changed sometime in the last 6 months or so. If you got a card BEFORE they changed the rules, you're good, because all they used to require was a $5 balance in your checking account. There was no "Standard vs Plus" differentiation.

Their web site IS very confusing, because they have about 19 different credit and debit cards, and their pages don't always match from the "Click here for more info" page to the "Additional Info".

EDIT : Ok, just did dig a little deeper, and YES, you can get the PLUS card with a $25.00 Money Market SAVINGS account, as opposed to a Money Market CERTIFICATE, which is $1000. I stand corrected.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #48
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
Are you sure the Chase Freedom card won't give the 5% on diesel? I use it at F/J and have got it.

I haven't tried to use it since we got the PenFed card, but before that I called Chase and they said there was no rebate on diesel. Of course, I could have talked with someone who was just guessing!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I haven't tried to use it since we got the PenFed card, but before that I called Chase and they said there was no rebate on diesel. Of course, I could have talked with someone who was just guessing!
I never asked, I just pulled in and have pump start on my f/j card then go in and pay. I'm not sure if Chase knows its gas or diesel. I'll check it closer next bill.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #50

Gas card

My chase Freedom works for diesel. The offer is an additional 4% bonus on gas stations thru September. I fill at a diesel only truck stop on my way home to top off for storage, never had an issue.
I did have my card # swiped at a gas station. They got me a new card right away and I had no liability.
Now I pay at the pump or estimate the amount I need and have them just run that amount.

You do have to review the bill. Sometimes the transaction falls into the wrong category. It has to do with how the business is classified by the cc processor. For example: you fill up at a mini mart. They may class the business as a convenience store or grocery store. So when you get the bill you can just call them and they will correct it.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #51

I use the PFJ RV Plus charge card and get .08 off of the cash price of diesel, which works out to .14 off per gallon from the credit price as a life member of Good Sam. If you aren't a life member then you get less off per gallon Yes I have to pay off the card at the end of the month, but I also don't accrue interest charges on those amounts. If you don't pay off the bill at the end of the month, then you aren't getting the savings that you say you are. Personally, I don't like to pay the banks their interest rates. I also use my Costco Amex card and 3% back if I am not near a PFJ and pay that off at the end of the month.
colokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #52

does the pen fed card have a dollar limit per purchase?

Jim
jmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
I have used my PenFed card at Flying J and put in $140.00 without the pump shutting off. At some other stations I have had the pump shut off at $75.00 and I had to re-swipe. I have never had to re-swipe at Flying J.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #54

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jmoffat, I am not aware of a limit on a purchase. Some cards limit the cash back reward to $250 but there is no limit on the pen fed card reward.

Dabrooks, this limit is set by the station. It's really annoying when you have to swipe several times. Some stations even limit the number of times you can swipe at the pump which is even worse.

Another reason I like the penfed card is that you are not locked into one gas station. You can use it at any station.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
I love my PenFed card and use it for all my fuel purchases. I had a CD mature at another institution and moved it to PenFed at a much higher rate than the other institution offered me to renew it.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #56

We put our gas on an Amazon card, gets us 2% back on gas (as well as varying percentages on other purchases) that you can use various ways (or cash, I believe). We like to buy stuff online from Amazon, so we just use it that way. There may be better offers out there, but this one is just very convenient for us.

Tags
gas