Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-14-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
I have never used the gas furnace as a sole heating source. However we are planning a trip where we will not have a A/C power source and will rely on the house batteries to run the gas furnace during the nights. I need to know the current draw in amps for the furnace fan. I do not want to run my gen. all night if the house battery can supply the needs. Thanks

Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
I have never used the gas furnace as a sole heating source. However we are planning a trip where we will not have a A/C power source and will rely on the house batteries to run the gas furnace during the nights. I need to know the current draw in amps for the furnace fan. I do not want to run my gen. all night if the house battery can supply the needs. Thanks

Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You didn't mention how many batteries you have or their amp-hour rating. Generally speaking, you should be able to run all night on two 12V batteries (in decent condition), but there are a zillion variables. For example, what else did you run off the batteries during the evening, e.g. lights, tv, inverter, etc. What are the outside temps and how warm do you keep the interior? Do you run your genset in theevening, and if so, how late?

We don't keep the rig real warm overnight, maybe 63 or so, but when the outside temp dips to the low 30's the furnace cycles frequently and runs fairly long. I would guess it runs maybe 30-40 minutes an hour under those conditions and that's a lot of amp-hours at 8-11 amps. If we are going to be without shore power for long in cold weather, we use a portable Buddy Heater (catalytic propane) during the day/evening so that we don't use so much battery amps on the big furnace. We don't choose to leave the Buddy heater on overnight, but some folks do (with a window cracked open, just be be on the safe side).
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:58 AM   #4

Most people reduce the temperature at bedtime for a more comfortable sleep say to 60 or so. Generally, if it is quite cold but with little or no wind, a 50% duty cycle will probably be as high as the fans will run. Two normal 12 volt deep cycle batteries should handle this without problem. If it is windy a higher duty cycle can be expected but again, the batteries should make it through.
'13 King Aire ISX 600
'16 Jeep Wrangler 75th Anniversary Edition
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
We cold camp a lot during the winter when we go skiing. On my last gas coach we had no problem ever overnight with the furnce (40,000btu) on all night with just 2 12V batteries. We would run the generator for about 2 hours before we turned in for the night and the battery would be about 3/4 charged at that point. On the diesel coach with 4 6volt batteries we have no problem running heater all night and starting the gen set to make coffee and cook in the morning. We would run heater on battery from 10pm to 8am with no problem. You always have the jump switch to help start the gen with engine battery boost.
01 HR 38'Endeavor 8.3L DP, Banks System.
02 Ford Exolorer Toad, M&G Tow Brake.
NewHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
My RV has two 6V batteries. We have spent quite a few nights out in the mountains of PA when it has been around 20 degrees at night. We run the thermostat about 60-65 degrees. I typically will run the generator for 30-60 minutes prior to going to bed. We have had no problems running the furnace from 9pm to 8am.
All this is after installing a battery wizard on my charging system. Prior to that, the stock charger was overcooking my batteries and shortening their life.
Rob Hentges

31ft Dutchmen Royal Classic
Rob Hentges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
Oh-one, depending on the year of your rig you should be ok running just the heat over night as long as you conserve. then in the morning just run the generator to recharge the batteries.
2005 Adventurer 35A Workhorse W22
2004 Chevy Colorado toad

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:44 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Oh-One....The Heater Buddy that RV Roamer spoke about is great. You can leave it in a 30' + RV all day and keep the temp about 60-65. It uses about one can of propane (green throw away) per day. It keeps the rig warm right up until you go to bed. We use it at Yosemite every year. We run it all day and then run the caoch heater at 55-60 for overnight. In a larger MH you could leave the Heater Buddy up front and crack a window in your bedroom. It would be a good supplement to the coach heater. Home Depot sells them for about $90.00. The have a low oxygen and tip over sensor built-in.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #9
We purchased the "Big Buddy" indoor heater to suppliment the furnace and had a very nice weekend (sub-30 deg at night) with it. The furnace occasionally turned on. I have used the smaller unit which produces 4000 or 8000 btu per hour. This larger unit is 4, 9 or 18K btu and a it has a blower run by 4-D cell batteries. No smell after it heats up and it really worked well on medium setting to handle much of the heating. I use a 20 lb bottle with it.

I understand that the coach furnace is around 60% efficient. These portable units are 99.9% which means less fuel consumption and no worry about coach battery power.

2003 Dolphin XL 6355 on W22

Towing 2003 Explorer
Dale Smith is offline   Reply With Quote