Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gas Furnace: Maintenance

We have two gas furnaces: 20k BTU and a 25k BTU. Both are forced air.

With cooler temps coming on next month, I wanted to make sure the furnaces are ready for use.

I don't see any filters to change or clean. How do to the units keep from clogging up with dust. As you know, the inside of a MH is a dust magnet. I have to clean the AC filters and fans all the time.

Does the gas furnace burn up airborn particles before it gets to the blower?

I pulled a couple hoses off to see if all looks good... Looks okay..
Attached Images

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
The first time you use the furnace It will burn off the dust. There might be a slight smell for a minute, but it will not hurt anything.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Airborne pollutants inside your unit are merly recirculated with the heated air. Most furnaces do not have an air filtering system. If you search this forum, several members have come up with some very innovative ways to create a filtering method for their furnace.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
How does the blower stay free of accumilating dust and dirt build-up? Is it a squirrel cage type or round fan? I think this is the unit.. Pretty standard Atwood... Very Common.

Found it... There are two squirrel cage like wheels. One for the air movement and one for the combustion.

Blower Wheel
Combustion Wheel

They do need to be cleaned. But.... I don't see how to get to them. I'll contact a local Atwood service center. The manual states the blowers do need to be cleaned yearly.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Usually a squirrel cage on one end of the motor shaft for heating air and a smaller one on the other end for combustion air. Dust will build up on the heating air squirrel cage after time, I just remove heater to clean every several years as it tends to affect the air movement after a while.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
They are squirrel cage fans.

Skinny one feeds air to the burner/heat exchanger.
Fat one draws inside air over the heat exchanger and then pushes it into the coach.
Only maintenance is making sure there are no mud-dawber nests inside the burner/heat exchanger. Those will be an issue.

I had to take one of mine out and tear it after I bought itto get all the nests out. It had been sitting for a while. I swear I got 2 cups full of nests out in the end. Bought screens after that.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Usually a squirrel cage on one end of the motor shaft for heating air and a smaller one on the other end for combustion air. Dust will build up on the heating air squirrel cage after time, I just remove heater to clean every several years as it tends to affect the air movement after a while.
I wasn't sure about removing the unit with the gas lines, hoses, etc.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I won't talk about air path but you should check the burner, clean if needed and check the ignition points... My furnace failed one cold day last spring... We had a chilly night being as we had only limited electric to play with.

Next morn I pulled the burner and checked the point spacing.. over 2x the specificed per the owner's manual (Which by the way I had in my hand) Re-set and it's worked fine since.

I have worked on two furnaces that had this issue of not always working.. The other one was the same problem only closer to 4x thn 2x.. IT was in a stick house and oil fired. Again it worked fine after ajustment and again I did the adjustment with the manual in hand.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You can get access to the fans without removing the unit from the RV. Just pull off the outer cover and, on the circulating fan side, an inner cover over the squirrel cage.

I doubt if dust will be a problem, but it doesn't hurt to check.

insect nests in the outside air intake & exhaust and rust scale in the burner tube are the two main things to watch for.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I pulled the outter outside cover off two units, and the blower assembly was easily accessible. It was right there in full view. Right behind the outside cover.

To my surprise, it looks quite clean and does not need anything.

Tags
furnace, gas, maintenance