Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We looked at the Camco and liked the quality and the fact that it's all SS. I'm going to double check my gas line to make sure it is after the regulator. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In a motor home with a built in gas "Tap" the tap is often on the low pressure side of the regulator.. 11" of water is what, about 0.4 PSI as I recall (i did the math a few days ago 12" is 4.333333333333 (Goes on forever)

The high pressure side (tank side of regulator) is very high pressure (Well over 100 PSI)

If your grill has it's own regulator and is designed to operate off a "Throw away" tank.. Then the Marshall Brass "Extend-a-stay" (on a motor home) or "Extend-a-flow" (on a trailer with removable bottles) is the answer

NOTE: I have seen "Extend-a-stay" knockoffs I feel are dangerous. Here is why

With the Extend-a-stay. II can hook up an external tank to extend my "Stay" time (Hence the name) or I can hook up a grill so as to use the main propane tank for grilling.

(With the extend a flow you can also hook up a grill, but not a portable tank)

If I should remove the portable tank without turning off the main tank, a check valve prevents gas flow out the now open hose.. IN fact I can remove the hose from the inlet and the check valve prevents escape of gas

Likewise there is a check valve that prevents back flow into the main tank

And yet another safety feature (Excess flow valve) that kicks in if a Propane line should burst.

The knock-off's I've seen were nothing more than "T" fittings, and allowed gas to back flow into the disconnected and open hose.

I do not know, but very strongly suspect, the Camping World "Stay-awile" adapter is equal to the Extend-a-stay.. I can not (Till someone tells me it is or till I get to a CW and check it out) say more about it, but my suspicion is that it's an equal product.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I bought one of these - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices Seems like it was much cheaper so shop around.

To fill it you get the small tank cold and have the big one warm. Warm not heated up. All I did was take a 20lb tank indoors and put the little one in the freezer. Filled outside of course. The instructions said to turn the large tank upside down but I didn't thin modern tanks with overfill protection would work. Hooked it up and sure enough the small cylinder filled up Maybe not to the top like new but it worked on the table top BBQ.

I am wondering if you could fill the small tanks from your on board outlet safely with one?
Ask anyone in the propane/butane business and they will advise you "this is a disaster waiting to happen".
Old 03-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Ask anyone in the propane/butane business and they will advise you "this is a disaster waiting to happen".
Why???
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You mean I shouldn't light a fire under my big tank?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Why???
Maybe this will help. Its a very dangerous procedure just to save a few dollars. Of course this is just my opinion.

How to refill disposable propane cylinders | Navagear.com
Old 03-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
This may not be relevant, but it's an option. You don't have to use the little non-refillable bottles, which are expensive and environmentally wasteful. I often use multiple gas appliances outside, so I carry a 5-gal LPG tank and a hose "tree" with the appliances, all nestled into a compartment. I can run a stove, a BBQ, and a crab cooker all at once with standard hoses and regulators that come with the appliances. And I'm not draining my large tank, AND it's so portable I can run to the country store or gas station for a refill. Works for me.
What compartment do you carry the tank in? I've considered getting a standard 20lb grill tank, but I don't have a vented compartment to carry it in.

joe
Old 03-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
What compartment do you carry the tank in? I've considered getting a standard 20lb grill tank, but I don't have a vented compartment to carry it in.

joe
I carry my twenty lb tank in a milk crate so it won't roll around in the same compartment as my fill valve.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought the Olympic grill today. It's the only one we could find that is a low pressure grill. It's well made and looks like it will last, also compact.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Correction, that should read Olympian by Camco.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:55 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine has the extend-A-flow from the factory, just get the length hose you want and do it wright and safe.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Maybe this will help. Its a very dangerous procedure just to save a few dollars. Of course this is just my opinion.

How to refill disposable propane cylinders | Navagear.com
Jim,
I got the impression from your link that the guy was giving detailed instructions how to refill cylinders and all the warnings were just to be sure he had a disclaimer. I never got as carried away as that though. I just cool the little one and how much it takes is as far as I push it. Never pulled the release. It's not really for the savings either, just more convenient to refill.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with the portable barbie. I carry a 20 lb. tank and a hose and it works just fine. The tank lasts all winter while we are in Az. When the barbie wears out, chuck it and get a new one.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Ingram View Post
I agree with the portable barbie. I carry a 20 lb. tank and a hose and it works just fine. The tank lasts all winter while we are in Az. When the barbie wears out, chuck it and get a new one.
With my 37 gallon tank I will be able to invite everyone on this site over for a BBQ. The only problem will be you'll have to wait in line as I can only cook 6 burgers at a time.