Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #1

Gas only Water heater question.

We have an Atwood model G6A-8E hot water heater. Gas only.

How long should the burner remain on until it reaches full temp and shuts off? There appears to be no temperature adjustment on it.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum

Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
My 6 gallon gas only Suburban (suppose similar to Atwood) takes about 20 minutes - give or take a minute. This is from cold water start.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #3

Anyone have troubleshooting guide for it? Does not shut off the burner. Had it on for 40 minutes. Water was so hot you could cook with it. Burner still burning.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's an Atwood manual.

http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwoo...-93755-10E.pdf

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:22 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I am sure others will reply here with more knowledge. However, I would think the pressure relief value would have popped also? That is the purpose of that value - if it gets too hot. Also, I would think there is a thermostat of some kind but not sure? My 6 gallon (again it is a Suburban) will stop after a certain temperature is reached and it is quite high but I don't know the exact temperature. I would think 40 minutes is way too long. Hopefully others will help and the link to the manual may give you some information.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I also have a Suburban gas only water heater. Just tried it for the first time this season yesterday. Water was still really cold coming out of the hose 35 degrees night before I filled the MH. Seemed like forever but it did shut off after around 30-40 minutes. Mine has a temp gauge on it just like at the S&B'S. At first I thought it was still running but turned out to be the Pilot. From now on I will open the door and check what is running..
Mine will also heat the water if running MH thru the motor. Does yours?
Be sure there is water in the tank first off, I had a little air in the line to start with. I also made sure the relief valve worked.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
V Rider,
Two things to check. Under the black foam rubber pad you'll see two electrical devices. One is the thermostat the other is overheat protection. Both of these devices need to be in contact with the water tank to work properly. In fact, each has its own spring that pushes it onto the tank to ensure contact. The thermostat typically does all the work; senses temp drop and signals the boiler to fire-up until its set point is reached. Should it not work correctly, the backup is the overheat device next to it. Once water temp reaches this device's set point, the device is supposed to shutdown the boiler.
I'd be checking for good clean contact with device to tank for both, then I'd look at good and clean electrical connection as well. A pencil eraser make a good tool to clean up connections on the circuit board. Best of luck.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #8

Cool beans. Thanks for a ll the tips. I will take a look at it this afternoon.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #9

I have an Atwood gas only 10 gallon water heater. It ran about 40 minutes to get hot and real hot. I installed a new thermostat kit that contains one thermostat set at approximately 140 degrees and the safety thermostat set at approximately 180 degrees. Still takes 40 minutes and 140 degrees is very hot. The kit was about $30.00 at local rv parts store. Hope that helps.
bullheadbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
H Virago-Rider,
The non-adjustable thermostats are usually set to 140 degrees from the factory. This is done to ensure more cold water is mixed with the hot water. It makes the hot water last longer.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #11

[QUOTE=Virago-Rider;2056038]We have an Atwood model G6A-8E hot water heater. Gas only.
How long should the burner remain on until it reaches full temp and shuts off? There appears to be no temperature adjustment on it.
[QUOTE]

Virago-Rider
I don't know how long it "should take" but the gas burner will shut off automatically when the factory installed 'non-adjustable' thermostat is satisfied, (and re-fire automatically, when hot water is drawn from the tank and replaced with cold water and/or when the water in the tank cools).
See: RV Water Heater Basics, Types, and Maintenance
Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
gas, heater