Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Even though there is no longer any fuel savings going with a diesel MH I still think there are a couple of advantages.

1. Much quieter with engine in the rear.
2. Front of coach cab cooler because engine is in rear.
3. Typically more CCC than gas
4. Air suspension ride is usually a better ride than steel springs.
5. Maybe a little better resale but who knows anymore. LOL

Diesel rig maintenance is generally higher than gas. That said, I can get an oil change (28 qts), oil and fuel filters, lube and generator service for around $200. Key to it is shopping. I'm not concerned about the long life of a diesel, I'll be pushing up daisies before the engine needs rebuilding. Modern gas engines also have a very long life and easily worked on, but not by me.
I think in the mid-price range both gas and diesel have about the same build quality. Most diesels don't have a rear window and tend to be a little darker and cave like than gassers, even with 2 bedroom slides. I kinda like rear window.
I think the coach layout, options, cost, specif manuf build quality are more important than gas or diesel. But, for fulltiming diesel is probably a better choice.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #16

I have a diesel and have owned several gas units. But I have not see several things mentioned. The maintenance on a diesel is higher in my opinion and I and sure. Yes I can drive my diesel cheaper per mile fuel wise. But Every other year I have to change my coolant, I have to maintain a DCA additive level in the coolant. Every few years I have to change the hydraulic fluid for the Power steering and the side mounted radiator fan. the Allison transimssion needs the filters and fluid changed more often. The dessicant filter on the air dryer needs changing often. The air filter costs more. Now I am not going to argue these things because they are in all the Diesel manuals and must be done. I do my maintenance so it costs less. If you full time check out the costs for these services. I maintain a American Coach Tradition and a Country Coach Intrigue so I am not a novice at this and know what it costs to maintain a diesel. Do I like mine NO I love it. But it is a life style not a money saving move. I have talked several out of buying a diesel and they thanked me for it. I felt it was not for them. You cannot have service done without leaving hundreds of dollars. They want 170 dollars to change the three quarts of oil in the generator and filters. They charge a min of one hour labor. OUCH Price your parts and your costs for service. Like I say I love mine, but could not afford the service if I paid someone else.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The service parts cost more, but the service intervals, using the new fluids and filters are longer than a lot of gas engines last.

This is not a good technical reason to have a diesel, but man I love the sound of the motor. There's not a gas engine the world that can touch that sound.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:26 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by historyljc:
I love the sound of the motor. There's not a gas engine the world that can touch that sound. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm with ya there Jim.

The first time I cranked over the engine on mine, my son said my face lit up like the kid that just got his new Red Ryder BB Rifle for Christmas!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There's not a gas engine the world that can touch that sound. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So very true, like the sound of two skeletons making love on a tin roof--LOL

Just kidding guys

I also like the sound of the diesel as well, but then I have to get my diesel sound fix listening to them pull into and leave campgrounds.

Cheers

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:33 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

This is not a good technical reason to have a diesel, but man I love the sound of the motor. There's not a gas engine the world that can touch that sound. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen brother.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #21

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only reason I would buy a diesel is ability to carry more junk. Outside of that I would not trade my gas rig even if they offered to give me the diesel at no cost to me.
The cost of fuel, the cost of repairs, the additional required repairs, the noise, the smoke, the black that can be left on both the home and the toad in tow, and the diesel rig with cost you from 800 to 5000 dollars more to purchase over a gas rig. I test drove diesels and found the ride to be no different than the gas thats something I think is in the mind of the drivers lol no offense dp owners imhpo. For two to four more mpg, just not worth it.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MtManLee:
The cost of fuel, the cost of repairs, the additional required repairs, the noise, the smoke, the black that can be left on both the home and the toad in tow, and the diesel rig with cost you from 800 to 5000 dollars more to purchase over a gas rig. I test drove diesels and found the ride to be no different than the gas thats something I think is in the mind of the drivers lol no offense dp owners imhpo. For two to four more mpg, just not worth it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know what diesel rig you drove, but there was a HUGE difference between the gaser and diesel that I test drove...As far as noise goes the diesel wins here again. I'm able to care on a conversion with the "boss" a lot better than I can when we travel with my buddy in his Coachman...Granted oil changes cost more with a diesel than a gaser but over all I think the diesel is the ticket.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #23

Like Chasfm11 and Walker, I have a lightweight 36' DP, a 1999 Winnebago Chieftain with 5.9 ISB and Allison 6 speed transmission. The coach is much lighter than the newer units this length which really help with fuel economy. I get 10-11 consistently. Another advantage with this setup is that my CCC is over 5,700 lbs. The air suspension, air brakes, exhaust brake, and quietness are superior to gas units in my opinion.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:05 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MtManLee:
the smoke, the black that can be left on both the home and the toad in tow </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This might be true with an older rig, but is not the case at all with today's modern diesel engines. My Cat engine leaves absolutely ZERO soot anywhere....rig or toad. It belches a small amount of smoke when starting, other than that there is almost no smoke at all.

I test drove diesels and found the ride to be no different than the gas thats something I think is in the mind of the drivers lol no offense dp owners imhpo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No offense taken. I'm just curious what diesel rigs you drove, and when this occurred. The VERY FIRST thing I noticed was the more compliant ride.

Something tells me that your observations are based on the last generation of diesel motorhomes. I'll bet if you were to drive a newer model you'd be pleasantly surprised...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I bought my gasser Itasca, I had people ask why I didn't do diesel. "Simple", I told them, "A diesel will last 500,000 miles or more. I won't! And neither will a motor home."

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Jack/Linda, Suggest you really look at your retirement travel needs first. If you really don't plan to do any extended heavy traveling/mountains/towing, then a gasser may be the ticket. If you need to stay near your home-base, then a gasser may also be the ticket. If you're only going to RV part time, a gasser may do it, or play during the weekends/holidays a gasser may do it,
BUT my friend if you and the family really, really plan to see the lower 48, canada, mexico or where-ever and get out there in any weather, day or night and run and play with the big doggs you gotta think the diesel powered lifestyle.
Just as you'll never see a U-haul behind a hurst, you'll never see a seasoned truck driver hauling big heavy loads cross country in a gasser.
My DW and I have owned both and will never/ever go back to a gasser. We can get our turbo Cummins diesel to purr up and down hills without powertain strain, fade, drag or white knuckles.
Test drive something newer brother, see for yourself, no smoke. Get what you can afford, what you need and what you can handle. Make sure the spouse is happy with your coach selection.
PS. The air ride comfort is great. Live everyday of your retirement like you really want it!. DocUSAF
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:21 AM   #27

Having owned a couple. You must get yourself into up to the ISL motor. The real compression brake in the motor, Larger wheels higher comfortable cruising speed are well worth it on a chassis with this power train. You lose a little mpg, but get on some mountain roads towing and you wont be sorry. You will actually get better mpg and no white knuckles going down hill.the smaller motors have just an exhaust brake which helps but weak compared to the compression brake.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Only reason I would buy a diesel is ability to carry more junk. Outside of that I would not trade my gas rig even if they offered to give me the diesel at no cost to me.
The cost of fuel, the cost of repairs, the additional required repairs, the noise, the smoke, the black that can be left on both the home and the toad in tow, and the diesel rig with cost you from 800 to 5000 dollars more to purchase over a gas rig. I test drove diesels and found the ride to be no different than the gas thats something I think is in the mind of the drivers lol no offense dp owners imhpo. For two to four more mpg, just not worth it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you got me thinking about the "smoke thing", so we went out to the coach, and I had my wife start it. My engine is a 2007 Cummins 360 HP ISC. It hadn't been started for about 2 weeks. It fired right up w/o a HINT of smoke. Now remember that this is the new "low sulfer" motor. Oh, when we shopped option for option, (if that's possible w/ gas vs diesel) it's more like 100 grand more, BUT you get so many more ammenities w/ the diesel. 2000 watt inverter, air ride, air brakes, brake retarder, front door entry, 4 coach batteries, et al. Robbie

'06 AWD Saturn Vue-toad
riggarob is offline   Reply With Quote