Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #29

Diesel is more expensive any way that you look at it. However, I would not want to be without it. We can climb the Rockies without any problems and I happen to enjoy the smell of diesel in the morning. Beats the heck out of napalm!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #30

We went looking this past winter and the cost difference among the coaches we were looking at was around $10,000 each time. The gas won as we felt we'd in no way put enough miles on the MH to warrant the extra expense for fuel savings.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The gas won as we felt we'd in no way put enough miles on the MH to warrant the extra expense for fuel savings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's like trying to justify a motorhome when comparing to the cost of motel rooms. I don't try to justify my DP. I worked over 40 years to get it and it's the class of motorhome I want to be in. And as Meandering Retiree said <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> . . . I happen to enjoy the smell of diesel in the morning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:19 PM   #32

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just as you'll never see a U-haul behind a hurst, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know Hurst built shifters and automotive aftermarket parts and makes the famous Hurst rescue tool, more often called, "The jaws of life". What do you mean by a hurst behind a U-haul. Just curious.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:48 AM   #33

I have not found that the diesel is more expensive. Pulling a car and storage make a lot of difference. Oil changes,,about the same except for filters and time , if you do it yourself. Maintenance is an ongoing thing for both, do it yourself or pay somebody. All in all it just boils down to what do you want, I want to pull with ease. I want more room to live in. I want more room to carry stuff without exceding weight limits. I want to stop without useing up my towed vehicle brakes. I want to use my cruise control. I dont have a new one but I have one that will do what I want and I like it.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #34

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sparetire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just as you'll never see a U-haul behind a hurst, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know Hurst built shifters and automotive aftermarket parts and makes the famous Hurst rescue tool, more often called, "The jaws of life". What do you mean by a hurst behind a U-haul. Just curious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He is is trying to say hearse.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:11 PM   #35

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted August 16, 2008 03:29 PM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sparetire:

quote:
Just as you'll never see a U-haul behind a hurst,

I know Hurst built shifters and automotive aftermarket parts and makes the famous Hurst rescue tool, more often called, "The jaws of life". What do you mean by a hurst behind a U-haul. Just curious.

He is is trying to say hearse </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I've never heard that expression of the word before. Now it makes sense!

Take care,
Sparetire
Old 08-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I want to stop without useing up my towed vehicle brakes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What does this one have to do with gas vs diesel? Are you implying that a diesel has more braking power??? ...or ???
Old 08-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #37

I have people say all the time they want a motorhome, then ask what kinda mileage I get, I tell them if you have to ask, you can't afford it!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:05 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jack,
Welcome to iRV2. I'm a bit late to this thread and hope you are stil reading it. What I have done is forget about the type of fuel. Find the coach with a floor plan that fits your RVing lifestye. There is something out there for everyone. If the floor plan meets your needs, the automotive part of the coach will soon be out of sight and out of mind. If the floor plan does not fit your needs, the automotive part of the coach will not make you any happier.

For each coach you are considering, look at the coach in three configutations. Slides closed and in the travel configuration (can you get to the bathroom). Slides open and in the living configuration. Slides open and in the sleeping configuration.

Stand in the shower. Sit on the toilet. Bend over the lavatory sink (simulates brushing teeth/washing face). Have the cook stand in the kitchen and see if it is layed out for convenient meal preparation. Is the fridge large enough? How about storage, in the coach and the basement?

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #39

What does this one have to do with gas vs diesel? Are you implying that a diesel has more braking power??? ...or ???

After owning 2 gas rigs, and my currant DP, I'd say yes, the diesel has more braking power. And, my last rig was an '07, on a W-24 WH chassis w/ the biggest brake rotors, and calipers I've ever seen. Robbie

'06 AWD Saturn Vue-toad
riggarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #40

I think so to. With the exaust brake and all it just seems like it stops better and I watch the light on the Brake Buddy, it stays off, so yeah,,,brakes better! For me. I think. Maybe. Hurst? What?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:47 AM   #41

Jerry I think you said it best. It is a matter of what use you are going for, full time or less frequent use and if you can afford to support the cost to run a diesel coach. I would without question full time in a diesel due to the carry space alone. I think it is best to ask about maintenance on a high end coach before jumping into one it's not for everybody.