Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
gas pumps at RV lanes at FJ, Loves, etc.

I usually use the big truck stop type places for fill ups because they have easier access. However I have always filled up in the car lanes. Do the truck/RV lanes have gas available or are they diesel only? The problem with using the car lanes is there is always some clown who parks at a pump and then goes inside to eat or whatever and clogs up the pump access. Plus, my rig takes up more space than it should for the car lanes. I'd like to be able to use the RV lanes but don't know if they have gas pumps.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flying J does have gas or diesel in the RV lanes. Also air, propane and dump station, not sire about Loves

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
As a former Tractor Trailer driver I've never seen gas at the Truck lanes. To easy to grab the wrong hose and blow up your motor. On the other hand don't think that guys don't fuel there trucks and go in and eat, shower or what ever and leave their trucks on the fuel island.
When we did our cross country trip last year we used loves a lot for fuel. I found that the price for fuel on the car side was cheaper than on the truck side. I don't know why but it was. when we fueled we always fueled on the car islands.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:59 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I assume you've got a diesel. We used the truck lanes at the flying J quite a bit, but found that you can't typically use a credit card in those lanes. Often, we had to pre-pay providing an exact amount (best guess) and if you needed DEF, a 2nd trip back in was required. Not good when there is a line of trucks behind you...

You need the Flying J card to deal with it, unfortunately.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
RV lanes do have regular gas plus diesel.

I use the truck lanes, use the Pilot/FJ credit card and use it at the pump.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:38 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have never seen anything but diesel in the truck lanes.

If you have a diesel rig and travel much, the truck lanes are the way to go if you are willing to get the Pilot/FJ credit card. Of course, if you need to dump, you'll have to use the RV lanes.

With the card, it is a very simple and quick process (all done at the pump), you have lots of room to maneuver, nice long handles on the windshield washer things, you get a slight discount on the price, your total charges for the month is automatically withdrawn from you bank account once per month, and the truck drivers always seem to be professional (in my experience). Best of all; no kids running around, cars sitting for extended periods of time (for no reason), vehicles coming and going from all directions, etc...

I've had to fill up at regular gas stations a couple of times and it is not something I enjoy. Thankfully, a 150 gallon fuel tank gives you lots and lots of options!!

Possibly worth noting, the first time you use the truck lane you may feel a bit overwhelmed as there are some things you may have never seen. The option to select the type of fuel (tractor or refer), maybe the fuel type (#), DEF, and then using two pumps (master/primary and slave - which is optional). Also, the truck lane pumps push a LOT of fuel thru the hose very quickly. Of course, the lanes can be a bit dirty too. Wear gloves and 'spare' shoes (or at least don't go strolling all over your carpet after walking around out there).
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:46 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is an app called "my pilot" that tells you which Pilot stations have a dedicated RV lane for gassers. It will determine your location and tell the nearest pilot that has an rv lane.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #8

As a truck driver, those truck lanes normally ONLY have diesel, and now DEF. They do NOT have gas. I hear you on the RV or car lanes. They can be hard to access, and SLOW!
Old 09-17-2015, 07:12 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
There is an app called "my pilot" that tells you which Pilot stations have a dedicated RV lane for gassers. It will determine your location and tell the nearest pilot that has an rv lane.
I loaded the app and chose RV lanes as a search criteria. However; it did not indicate gas was/is available. Do all RV lane sites have gas??
Old 09-17-2015, 07:32 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I loaded the app and chose RV lanes as a search criteria. However; it did not indicate gas was/is available. Do all RV lane sites have gas??
Yes!!

I try to use the Flying J RV lanes as much as possible due to the ease of getting in and out. Most of the time I drive right up to the pump.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:16 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I also use the Pilot app to fill my gasser at the RV lanes. Some Pilot stations and most Flying J have RV lanes. The app identified a Pilot station with RV lanes. I went there for gas, but it turned out it did not sell gas at the pump. I had to use the normal pumps. Not fun!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #12
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I think we need to define some terms or this is going to get real confusing for the OP.

"RV lanes" refer to the separate fuel island that is nearly always located near the gas lanes where automobiles fill up. This fuel island has gas, diesel, and a dump station.

"Truck lanes" are the lanes that the truckers and Diesel MHs use. Those lanes have only diesel and DEF.

The problem I have with the RV lanes at FJ is their location. You have large RVs and innumerable automobiles using the same general space. It can be tricky maneuvering a large RV through there with automobiles running around willy nilly. It often reminds me of a beehive. The one in Winchester VA is the best example of this that comes to mind. I hate the RV lanes in that one, but its the one I have to use if I want to dump tanks prior to parking my rig at home.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I usually use the big truck stop type places for fill ups because they have easier access. However I have always filled up in the car lanes. Do the truck/RV lanes have gas available or are they diesel only? The problem with using the car lanes is there is always some clown who parks at a pump and then goes inside to eat or whatever and clogs up the pump access. Plus, my rig takes up more space than it should for the car lanes. I'd like to be able to use the RV lanes but don't know if they have gas pumps.

Don't sweat the small stuff!
The newer stations make it so I can pull up to the pumps without being blocked in. Getting cash back on my card, not having to go inside to pay, not waiting in line behind RVs, and beating the Loves/PFJ prices every time make it all worthwhile!
Happy Trails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442534704.392736.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	107144

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:53 AM   #14

I've yet to find an RV lane that didn't have gas and diesel. The only downside is that you can get caught up behind someone like me that's pumping 110+ gallons which does take a while (I would use truck lanes, but the venting on my coach makes it a giant pain to use high flow pumps, and I'm not bothered enough to spend the money to try and fix the venting).

Steve

Tags
gas