Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2015, 04:09 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
ride wise, generally, its the difference between a greyhound bus and a u-haul truck, almost.
That may have been more true a few years back. In 2014 I was in the market for a new motorhome and test drove new DPs and Gassers.

Yes, most of the higher-end DPs do feel and sound like a bus, and have very good stability and power. The "entry level" DPs have much less power, are constructed with less insulation, and are just as noisy as the gassers, even though the engine is way in the back.

The only gasser chassis currently available is a F53 Ford among ALL motorhome manufacturers. I was only interested in 1-1/2 bath models, so all of the gassers I drove were over 35'. The 20,000lb, 22,000lb, 26,000lb chassis over 35' pretty much all had similar drivability, regardless if it was from Newmar, Winnebago, Fleetwood, Thor, or Coachman.

While the gassers did feel a little more like a U-Haul truck, they all tracked much better, had way more power, and did not wander as much as you would expect. And, I want to reiterate, low-end DP's are pretty much just as noisy as the high-end gassers.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 05:49 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Any large diesel truck will almost certainly have better fuel economy than a gas engine doing same load. The chassis is often more heavy duty and will have more resistance against wandering and sway. This applies to ANY large vehicle for the most part.

Diesels and their chassis will almost certainly outlive gassers of equivalent age and mileage.

Gassers are usually cheaper to buy up front, and they are more often easier, cheaper, and have more repair locations. Diesels will cost more to repair, especially larger more complex jobs. I would not be able to work on a diesel rig aside from the house side of things. This would have cost me thousands in labour.

Most diesel rigs are pretty large. Some are too big for smaller campgrounds.

Until recently, you could modify your suspension on the gassers for more stability. The newer gassers have 6 spd transmissions which should further increase fuel economy.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:47 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with that.

My comparison is between our '14 gas powered Bounder and our '88 Monaco DP. The Bounder drives really well vs. the old DP so mech systems have improved. The oak wood, Corian, etc. were better in the old DP and still are.

I'm happy with our Bounder.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #18

I'll jump in here and add my opinion. If going full time why would you want to be driving 500 miles? The most I've done is 300mi. in over 5yrs. on the road. Now if you're going to do destination traveling as I like to call it, that is just going to one spot and staying for months at a time, I personally would consider a 5er. But we travel quite a bit so a diesel motorhome suits us best. No matter what anyone says though it'll all come down to bottom line, and what YOU like. I've had a gasser, and there's no comparison to what we have now. BUT, that doesn't mean we couldn't do it in a gasser as a lot of people do, because once you reach your destination, they're all basically the same, we just chose to go in another direction.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:01 PM   #19

We probably put on as many if not more miles than most RVers. Our last motorhome had well over 100,000 miles on it when we traded it in. When we went shopping for our first motorhome we didn't know whether we wanted gas or diesel. Both the models we were looking at had similar floor plans and the same quality appliances and furniture. In those days there was only about a $25,000.00 difference in price between the gas and diesel powered models so money wasn't the main consideration.

Since it was our first RV and we didn't even know if we would like the lifestyle we chose the more familiar gas model. As it turned out it was a good choice for us. We average about 400 miles per day without discomfort or distress. Even though we drive at speeds in the mid 60's we have to stop every couple hours to let our older dogs out for some exercise and to do their business. Taking all the stops into consideration the average speed from the time we pull out in the morning to the time we get to the next destination is 50 mph.

After 12 years of service and well over 100,000 miles everything was still in good shape. However now we had a 12 year old vehicle with 12 year old furniture, appliances, entertainment systems, and heating and cooling systems. Past experience with our stick houses told us this is about the time major appliances and systems start to need replacement. Given the fact that in addition to the age we had traveled over some of the nastiest roads known to man We weren't willing to potentially spend thousands of dollars replacing things and being inconvenienced as they failed.

The decision was made to purchase a new motorhome. Once again the diesel/gas question came up. This time the answer was a little easier. We had extended experience with the gas model and were satisfied with the performance, ride, and the available amenities. So the decision was made to purchase another similar size gas powered model.

We were pleased to find the 2013 model has even more power and a better ride than the previous one. This one has a few more amenities than the previous one so once again we're happy campers. We have nearly 25,000 miles on our new motorhome and expect to drive it well past the century mark just like it's predecessor.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Ken, I've never driven a gasser, but I'm continually amazed at how comfortable our DP is to travel in! Back when we had a 5er, I could drive for several hours and my back, tail, and legs would be hurting so bad! Now I can drive all day and be totally comfortable when we get there!

Also, we don't even hear the engine noise when driving! We can talk at a normal level or listen to XM. It's wonderful!

I would take an older DP any day instead of a new gasser!
ditto
Old 07-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #21

Figure out your budget, then drive a gasser and a diesel within that same budget. That should be an experience that will help. Some things cannot be put into words. Some things are hard to justify.... kinda like comparing our cars with power everything - to something we used to drive with power nothing....

Another way you might look at it (maybe while working on that budget?), is from a resale stand point. The diesel cost more to purchase, but will almost always be worth more when it's time to sell - especially true if you are talking about a coach with 100k+ miles on it..... A gasser with 100K on it is going to take quite a hit.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

As always, the diesel owner (and diesel salesman) will say "Buy Diesel!!" The gas owner and the gas salesman, "Buy Gas!" Drive them both and decide for yourself. There is no wrong answer.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:06 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've learned always agree with Sarah!
Old 07-23-2015, 04:26 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawnidad View Post
I'm looking to buy a 34-36 foot motorhome,I've been going to all the dealers im my area and some say diesel is the only way to go and some say gas. One salesman said if you drive 400 to 500 miles in a day in a gas machine you will be worn out but in a diesel you will still feel fine. hoping someone out there can enlighten me to the truth. Thankyou Ken (Pawnidad)
What are they driving? A 1967 Winnebago?
My 2005 coach drives as nice as any diesel... and it has a pickup truck motor mated to a real truck transmission.

A modern (past 10yrs) 22.5 wheeled gas coach drives as nice as any diesel. There are a few caveats though.
-A good set of shocks for a gasser is about $600
-Gassers are easier to service (and cheaper)
-65 mph is 65 mph. Doesnt matter if you have 1200 ft lbs of torque or 350.
-Operation costs are significantly cheaper on a gasser
-Curb weight is lighter with gas coaches
-Loud sounds??? Those posters much have a 50,000 motorhome with a 3 cylinder 2 stroke engine...lol

As for diesel power... it is nice but from a business standpoint my companies fleet is about to age out our last diesels ever. They cost too much $$$ to run. And my stuff is on the road 5 days a week. The naysayers can come talk to me when they have run over $100,000 worth of fuel in their "diesel" rigs.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:33 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Any large diesel truck will almost certainly have better fuel economy than a gas engine doing same load. The chassis is often more heavy duty and will have more resistance against wandering and sway. This applies to ANY large vehicle for the most part.

Diesels and their chassis will almost certainly outlive gassers of equivalent age and mileage.
I have a friend that owns a very busy heavy truck shop in North Jersey.
Guess what kind of motors he works on all year round??

A modern (10 yrs old or newer) gasser does not "sway". Maybe a mid 90s A arm P30 with leaky air springs, arched leafs, and 19.5 wheels. Even then... that can be corrected for about $3000 all told Let me know how much an air ride system failure costs. (hint: the tow will be north of $3,000 if youre within 100 miles of a shop)
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
What are they driving? A 1967 Winnebago?
My 2005 coach drives as nice as any diesel... and it has a pickup truck motor mated to a real truck transmission.

A modern (past 10yrs) 22.5 wheeled gas coach drives as nice as any diesel. There are a few caveats though.
-A good set of shocks for a gasser is about $600
-Gassers are easier to service (and cheaper)
-65 mph is 65 mph. Doesnt matter if you have 1200 ft lbs of torque or 350.
-Operation costs are significantly cheaper on a gasser
-Curb weight is lighter with gas coaches
-Loud sounds??? Those posters much have a 50,000 motorhome with a 3 cylinder 2 stroke engine...lol

As for diesel power... it is nice but from a business standpoint my companies fleet is about to age out our last diesels ever. They cost too much $$$ to run. And my stuff is on the road 5 days a week. The naysayers can come talk to me when they have run over $100,000 worth of fuel in their "diesel" rigs.
UPS trucks have the V10 and run them over a half million miles before retiring them. Some have gone over 1 million miles. The diesel outlasting a gas myth is busted. I've owned both gas a diesel MH's and they all averaged around 8 mpg. The newer V10 will out run most any DP on the road and will not loose mph on hills. When the stop light turns green you can get moving without stomping it to the floor like most DP's and they ride and handle very good. $50.00 service compared to $300.00 for a DP. I could pass cars with my V10, something I won't attempt with my DP.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:31 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think it all depends on your wants and needs and how you will be using it. We like our gasser a lot, but we are still employed and can only RV on weekends and vacations. So a gasser makes more sense for us than a diesel. We don't put a lot of miles on and the maintenance of a gasser is easier and less expensive than a diesel. But we are approaching retirement age and are thinking of options, we are going to try full timing it in our gasser and think if we like it we will trade for a diesel for more room and comfort. So as our wants and needs change our ideal RV will also change.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Why

This discussion in the end equates to everyone being right. DP'ers IMOP are a choice not a have to do. I have driven gas and diesel, but for my 6' 6", 280 lbs I finally found comfort, power, floor plan, and an engine designed to go many miles. My perception (not a fact) for me only is: the diesel is going to give me the longevity I want for retirement.

My diesel pusher is not better than a gasser. My two story brick home is not better than a single story home, again just my choice.

We all have a single bond and that is the lifestyle of RV’ing. I enjoy the company at parks/campgrounds whether you have a tent or motorhome. Too many people want a line in the sand for owning a Gas or Diesel; “Why”. The issue is what RV fits your lifestyle and needs; all RV’s have pros and cons. All people for the most part are cool that get out and do something fun outdoors and makes the best of Time Off, Vacation or Retirement. Again who cares about gas or diesel collectively!!!

Tags
diesel, gas