Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #1

Gas water heater

Just wondering if anyone turns the gas water heater off at night or do you just let it stay on all night? Would it be more economical to cut it off at night and then back on in the morning.
TTitans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Doing so in the winter would be much more economical. In the summer it might be.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:55 AM   #3

Put a "Hot Rod" electric element in your water heater and forget about the gas. Mine has almost never been used on gas. In answer to your question though, I would turn it off at night, it will still be warm in the morning, recover is quick.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #4

gas water heater

It has been my experience that water heaters hold temp for a long time if the taps are not used. Turning it off at night may only save one or two heating cycles (short ones at that) and leaves you with less than hot water in the morning.

I just installed a new one (not an easy job) so I shut it off and went out the next morning to check for leaks etc.

Discovered to my surprise that the hot tap still produced relatively hot water after sitting all night (7-8 hours)
gordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on the Hot Rodd. It was a great investment. We are plugged into electric most of the time that we camp and the Hot Rodd works great.

For those times when we are not using electric, we turn the propane on, let it come to temperature and then turn it off. In most cases, we are going to use the hot water immediately. I would never leave the propane running over night. In almost every case where we wouldn't have electric, we would have the windows open and the water heater is very close to our bedroom window. That is a prescription for problems.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I just posted this in another thread to a new member. When we first got our Coachman we would turn on the hot water heater & leave it on until we were ready to move on. We used a lot of propane in the first few months, I would fill a 20lb bottle every 2-3 weeks. We now anticipate when we are going to need hot water & turn it on about 15 minutes before we plan to use hot water. We leave the door to the switch open when the hot water heater is on. close it when off. You will usually have warm to hot water all day if you use it only to wash your hands after turning it on in the morning to take a shower then off after the showers are complete. We now use a 20 lb bottle of propane about every 3 months. However we do not cook very often.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Most water heaters don't run very much if hot water is not being drawn from the tap. Savings are usually minimal, at least in warmer weather. Cold weather may be a different story.

When the heater has been off for several hours, you get a long heat cycle to bring it back up. Weigh that against a few short cycles over night to keep it warm.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I turn ours off at quiet time. It's usually pretty still in a campground late at night & that burner is noisy. I don't want that thing firing up at 2AM & scaring the folks next to me (usually someone in a tent, like this past weekend).

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:43 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I turn ours off at quiet time. It's usually pretty still in a campground late at night & that burner is noisy. I don't want that thing firing up at 2AM & scaring the folks next to me (usually someone in a tent, like this past weekend).

Lori-

Lori, you might want to adjust the combustion air mixture, as the burner should not be real loud or noisy. A blue flame with slight orange tip and a little roar is what you are looking for.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #10

A little "roar" late at night might scare the bears away too !
gordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Most water heaters don't run very much if hot water is not being drawn from the tap. Savings are usually minimal, at least in warmer weather. Cold weather may be a different story.

When the heater has been off for several hours, you get a long heat cycle to bring it back up. Weigh that against a few short cycles over night to keep it warm.
Gary, I don't know if my hwh is normal or not, but if I leave it on all day with out using it I notice the burner kick on for about 5 min every 1 1/2 hours or so. This uses more gas than if I just turn it on , use it , let it heat back up & turn it off. It runs about 15 min when its been off all day.

I have never heard of the Hott Rod until this thread, I am going to look into installing one. Some CG's we end up don't charge for electricity, so this would be more economical in the long run. We usually stay where ever we are for 3-6 months.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I just did a little research on the Hott Rod element. I think I will stay with the propane. It works for us. If anyone uses the Hott Rod, they most likely are very happy with the results. Just my $.02 . hott rod Just one of the places I found info. This may or may not be getting off topic, but it does pertain to HWH. Sorry if it is OT.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
but if I leave it on all day with out using it I notice the burner kick on for about 5 min every 1 1/2 hours or so.
That sounds about normal, which means your heater would run maybe 25 minutes overnight vs 15 minutes in the morning. A few ounces of LP, maybe? Not much difference in my book.

I sometimes turn ours off at night, but it is more because of noise than saving a few pennies worth of LP.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #14

I also have the Hott Rod. We only use the gas when there is no electricity or when several people are going to shower in succession and the hot water would not have time to recover quickly enough with just the Hott Rod.