Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #15

Thanks Joe and Cliff!

Joe,

Thanks for the info. Its good to know it can be solved. I had wanted to do another 2400 mile round trip starting this next week but canceled it because I didn't want to end up worrying through the whole thing that I was going to have a fire or blow up.

Cliff,

Thank you also for the info. Its good to know that we would likely have some warning with a fire as opposed to an explosion.

I have a fire extinguisher behind the drivers seat, by the entry door and in the bedroom. Don't know if I'll have time to use them if I need them but I feel better having them to give us time to get the dogs out. The fire extinguishers behind the front seat and in the bedroom are new but the door one is original. I should probably replace it. Hopefully I'll never need them!

I did replace the old smoke alarm with a combo CO2 and smoke alarm. I replaced the old CO2 alarm in the bedroom with a combo fire unit that detects both fast burning and slow burning fires. In replacement for the original CO2 that was in the bedroom I have a stand alone digital one that I can move from the front to the back. I was using it up front to see if any exhaust fumes were coming it but it was registering 0 so I think I'll move it back to the bedroom. The new fire and CO2 alarms all have expiration dates on them which is nice. I think they even start to tell you when they are too old to be useful.

Thanks again for the info!
Michelle

micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #16

Get it fixed before you use it again ! 85% of RV fires are in gas powered motor homes.

ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
On My old class c I had a gas smell and got 11 miles to the gallon... I had a new carb put on it and the gas smell went away...Then it got 8 mpg....
Old 07-17-2010, 05:09 AM   #18

One other thing to watch for on that era of coach is the cross member that is visible foward of the rear comparments behind the drive axel. This one tends to crack and sag over the frame rails giving you a hump in the floor when you pass by the entrance to the bedroom. This seems more prevalent on coaches that have seen a lot of road salt as the bin frames are no longer providing the additional support that they did when new.

I am still saving up my pennies so I can install a cold fire automatic fire suppressant system in my current coach.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #19

Thanks again to everyone!

The coach is still in the shop. I just called for an update. They said most of the fuel lines are steel. There was only a small section of rubber lines. They found a broken nipple on the canister that was allowing the vapors to escape. They are going to get a new canister on Mon.

The RV was previously owned by a retired professional mechanic and I'm wondering if he had changed out the fuel lines since everyone reported having rubber.

Hope this solves it!

Michelle
Old 07-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh, I had it happen in a car once too.. Mechenic working on the car changed oil and on this car the fuel lines ran over the oil cap... He pulled on the line, pulling it right off the carb once the engine vibrated a bit.

Thankfully. NO Ka-Boom.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
The coach is still in the shop. I just called for an update. They said most of the fuel lines are steel. There was only a small section of rubber lines. They found a broken nipple on the canister that was allowing the vapors to escape. They are going to get a new canister on Mon.

The RV was previously owned by a retired professional mechanic and I'm wondering if he had changed out the fuel lines since everyone reported having rubber.

Hope this solves it!

Michelle
Michelle - Generally most fuel line sections are steel however there needs to be enough flexible rubber fuel hose to let the engine float and move on its mounts. Those locations where the rubber and steel meet are generally close to the exhaust maniflolds which is hard to avoid and just the nature of providing fuel to the engine. Manifolds on that Chevy engine tend to run hot and you may actually see them at night glowing red. This tends to embrittle the fuel hoses along with the transmission and engine oil cooling lines. Make sure that they don't overlook those oil cooling line. The hot oil can burn just as well as the gasoline and once it gets going may even generate a hotter flame as oil vapor is what will then be burning.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #22

Thanks Neil!

Thanks again Neil! I will discuss this with them on Mon. I sure hope they know what they are doing...

Michelle