Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #1

gasoline stabilizer

I just bought myself a gasoline motor home. I full time but I often park for a month at a time. In the winter I might stay put 2 months.

When should I use gasoline stabilizer?

Thanks to all you experienced RVers.

Gene
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the turn over rate of the on board gasoline is the deciding factor. If you only fill up every two or three months and allow air space to remain for lengths of time, the use of a stabilizer becomes more important.

I travel long distances, with frequent fill ups, between 3 months at a time parking. I always fill up close to parking, adding enough stabilizer for 75 gallons. After parking I use a 5 gallon gas can to top it off . Running the generator between fill and parking gets the stabilizer in all the right locations.
Some will say that is a little excessive but I feel it is cheap insurance.
Good Luck.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
My rule of thumb is if it's going to sit longer than 8 weeks, I put fresh gas & Stabil in & run that through the system/genny before parking it. I've never really been confident in how "fresh" the gas is I purchase (has it been in the tank a week, a month...more?), so I don't want to take chances. It is cheap insurance & peace of mind to know I'm keeping the gas from degrading further.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by genecurp View Post
I just bought myself a gasoline motor home. I full time but I often park for a month at a time. In the winter I might stay put 2 months.

When should I use gasoline stabilizer?

Thanks to all you experienced RVers.

Gene
i use seafoam stabilizer if my moho is going to be unused 3 weeks or more and either drain the genny carb float bowl or run it for at least a half hour every month.

Sea Foam | Home
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy,
Nobody ever told me NOT TO USE ETHANOL GASOLINE WITHOUT A STABILIZER IN IT, EXCEPT IN MY WEEDEATER!!!!! Now I've got 50+ gallons of year-old gas and find out I should have used something.. WHAT DO I DO NOW!!!! I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE W/O ANY RV MECHANICS HANDY AND UNABLE TO DO THE WORK MYSELF!!!
butterbean
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Butterbean, are you having fuel problems at this time or just concerned your fuel may go bad? If you are just concerned & the MH starts & runs fine, I offer up 3 solutions, the first is better than the 2nd & then better than the 3rd.
1) Take the MH to a shop & have it drained out (personally I think this is a bit radical if it still runs fine)
2) Use the MH, take a trip that you know will use at least 50 gals of gas & fill back up & then if you are going to park for an extended time add the stabilizer to a full tank when you park it. You can top the tank off before using all this fuel & mix the good with the old.
3) add the stabilizer now & if you can top off the tank do so.

If you are having fuel related problems start a new thread in the approiate section. Someone may be closer to you than you realize & can lend a hand.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy Dan,
I have had health problems ever since April or May and have not tried to crank it..
Up until then It had been cranked several times since we traveled in it last fall.. The
gas that's in it was purchased probably in Oct/Nov '09.. When I was able to deal with it the batteries were dead and I've charged the cranking battery and am in the process of slow-charging the house batteries SEPARATELY..
thanx,
butterbean
Old 11-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Also, I live in the middle of nowhere..no rv mechanics around to even ask...

middle of nowhere: Coleman county, Texas 54 milesSE of Abilene 9 miles W of Coleman,TX
Old 11-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
I think the turn over rate of the on board gasoline is the deciding factor. If you only fill up every two or three months and allow air space to remain for lengths of time, the use of a stabilizer becomes more important.

I travel long distances, with frequent fill ups, between 3 months at a time parking. I always fill up close to parking, adding enough stabilizer for 75 gallons. After parking I use a 5 gallon gas can to top it off . Running the generator between fill and parking gets the stabilizer in all the right locations.
Some will say that is a little excessive but I feel it is cheap insurance.
Good Luck.
Great answer Rocky !
I once owned a cuddy cabin cruiser boat. Had a marine 460 cu in and a 75 gallon tank. I always added a quart of sta-bil to the premium gas before winter. I lost interest in the boat. It sat for 2 years before I sold it. Every month during the warmer months I cranked it using the garden hose to cool the engine. My point is after 2 years with sta-bil, my gas would crank the big 460.
butterbean, I would add some octane booster and chevron techron. Try to at least move the unit to mix the additives. Top it off with premium. I only use premium when I'm going to store a gasoline engine device. Electric fuel pumps inside of fuel tanks can seize from the varnish caused by gasohol. Been there done that.
Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbean View Post
Also, I live in the middle of nowhere..no rv mechanics around to even ask...

middle of nowhere: Coleman county, Texas 54 milesSE of Abilene 9 miles W of Coleman,TX

Butterbean, If you were a bit closer to Alvarado I would come out next week & give you hand. But you are 3 hours from where I will be.
Texas is a huge state, looks a lot closer on a map than it really is.

I would do as the other poster suggested add the stabilzer & octane booster, drive it abit if you can. Although it sounds like you may not be able to at this time.
Best of all to you.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #11

Treat you gasoline all the time

You should be treating your gasoline all the time. You won't have to do anything additional when you park IF you use this product.

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - Star Tron Gasoline Additive

I know you won't find anyone pushing this product. I use it all the time on everything. It's an enzyme product.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy Dan,
Hey man, in west Texas 3 hours is next door... I'll come and get you and feed
you bar-b-cue if you'll do it... I have absolutely NOBODY out here to help me, except Joyce and she's worn-out from taking care of me and the horses and the house... ONE THING I CAN DO IS DRIVE... I used to live in Midlothian and Joyce used to live in Burleson.. How long are yall gonna be in
AlvaRAdO??

Old 11-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy Woodydel,
I saw that mentioned on a forum, but had never heard of it.. I know everybody's on the enzyme kick today and I believe in enzyme 'therapy' for
lots of applications.. If you've read all of my 'moanings' do you think this is better for my 'problem' than another stabilizer or treatment??
thanx,
Old 11-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #14

Just returned from the last trip for this year. I have already winterized, but still have to cover it. A couple of blocks from home, I topped off the gas tank and will add sta-bil for the winter sit. I do run the engine and generator to circulate the sta-bil. May not be absolutely necessary, but feel a lot better having it in there. Do it every year. Also put some in the Harley, the John Deere mower and everything that sits for the winter that may have fuel in. John H...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote