Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #15

We tend to use Flying J's quite a bit. My only real complaint about them is the lack of consistency between locations. The Flying J in Ashtabula, OH, gives you a $495 limit on fuel with a Visa card while the one in Wytheville, VA, gives us $150 with the same card. Some will give you the $.05 a gallon discount with the frequent fueler card and some do not. I would really like to see them have some consistency between locations.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I use Pilot/Flying J 99% of the time. I rarely have any issues other than inconsiderate people at the pump. I pre-plan my fuel stops whenever possible making sure the station has an RV island. But the key is using the Good Sam / Pilot/Flying J "RV PLUS" charge card. Since I got one I have never had to go inside the store, I can always fill up (max $1000), I can use the truck lanes if I want, and I get a 7 cent/gal discount.

Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #17

I use Flying J often. I pull into the RV islands if clear. It seem the RVers sometimes go to dinner, while parked there.

At the pump, I do sometimes play musical cards, but never needed to go inside to pay.

Once fueled up we find our parking spot for the night.

Discount on gas and free overnight, I can't complain.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
So, go somewhere else, problem solved. We gave up on FJ's, Pilot and Loves years ago.
You must have easy access stations picked out for the routes you generally take?
On my maiden voyage south (I5), this past winter, other than the truck stops, I did'nt notice a lot of stations where I want to take 70', and not have to back up, to get out.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:33 PM   #19

I tend to use mostly Flying J RV lanes but also use the Gasbuddy app on my cell phone. It is surprising how the price may vary in a short distance. Problem is some of the less expensive places don't appear to have sufficient space for me and my tow car or they are a few or more miles out of the way. On the rare occasion the pump says see cashier I cancel and rerun the same card. If that fails I run a different credit card. Like others it seems like a waste of time to have to stand in line at the cashier.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I tend to use mostly Flying J RV lanes but also use the Gasbuddy app on my cell phone. It is surprising how the price may vary in a short distance. Problem is some of the less expensive places don't appear to have sufficient space for me and my tow car or they are a few or more miles out of the way. On the rare occasion the pump says see cashier I cancel and rerun the same card. If that fails I run a different credit card. Like others it seems like a waste of time to have to stand in line at the cashier.
I am the original poster. Your "cancel" comment is just plain common sense! I guess I took the pump display at face value ... "See Cashier." From now on if I have a similar problem the "Cancel" button will be my first response! Thanks!

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #21

We use Pilot/Flying J most often with the discount card.

One of the delights of diesel vs gas is access to the truck lanes. Truckers fuel, pull up so the next driver can access the pump, take care of their cashier business and leave. I don't even try to identify the RV lanes which are usually minimally sized. No more jockeying to squeeze into a gas pump only to have me-me-me pull in from the other direction and block you again. No more waiting while the family at the pump shops for snacks or uses the restrooms or whatever else they do. Much easier on the blood pressure.

Whenever possible our first choice is Pacific Pride. They have a cell phone app to help find their locations. Their prices may be a few cents per gallon more than the discounted Pilot/Flying J price. Often no other vehicles are there. If a trucker is there they often like to talk for a few minutes. Pioneer Fuel, Olympia, WA offers accounts to RV'ers (800)959-3835. Your diesel/gasoline/def card is good in the US and Canada but some states and provinces do not have stations. The unattended stations are usually clean, lighted and open 24 hours.

Drive safely. Have fun.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We like Pilot/Flying J, but I have learned to use the ones that have a Denny's restaurant whenever possible. These have the RV islands and RV parking. Very convenient if you need to overnight.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #23

We see as much as a $.40/gal price difference between the big truck stops and people like Sams Club....or whatever station is across the road from them.

For $40 savings, I've just funded several days of meals, since DW goes into those Sams and loads up (for free, kinda)
Old 09-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
FJ diesel RV lanes have low flow nozzles. Three gals a minute...100 gals...30 minutes. Truck lanes are fine. Just pay 10+ cents a gal more then SOB.
The GS P/FJ credit card is:

FAQs on RV Camping Club - Information on Good Sam Club ... us-Card#68

What are the savings with the Pilot Flying J RV Plus Charge Card?
Member Savings:
Gas (U.S.): save 4¢ per gallon
Diesel (U.S.): save 6¢ per gallon
Gas & Diesel (Canada): save 1¢ per liter

Deluxe Member Savings:
Gas (U.S.): save 5¢ per gallon
Diesel (U.S.): save 7¢ per gallon
Gas & Diesel (Canada): save 1¢ per liter

Life Member Savings:
Gas (U.S.): save 6¢ per gallon
Diesel (U.S.): save 8¢ per gallon
Gas & Diesel (Canada): save 2¢ per liter

Elite Member Savings:
Gas (U.S.): save 7¢ per gallon
Diesel (U.S.): save 9¢ per gallon
Gas & Diesel (Canada): save 2¢ per liter

All Member Additional Savings:
Propane: save 10¢ per gallon
Waste Dump: save $5 (off $10 fee)
Special pricing & deals in Pilot and Flying J retail stores & restaurants

No BIG Deal.

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter"
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:09 AM   #25

My number 1 fuel stop is Flying J. Number 2 is Pilot, followed by Loves and TA. I've never had a problem with any of them. I always use the truck pumps because they're faster and they always have the long squeegees to clean the windshield.

The only time I use the RV lanes at a Flying J is when I need to dump the tanks.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Old 09-13-2015, 01:06 PM   #26
KC

We and I love Flying J and Pilot as well. I use Gas Buddy to find cheap fuel and go from there. We have a 38’ class A with a rear gas fill so having room is a small issue.

KC
Old 09-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #27

Mid Atlantic Campers
I usually just stop at whatever is convenient and one that I can scope out quickly making sure I can get my ClassA with toad in and out. I will search out a FlyingJ if I need propane or need to dump.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:07 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I stop at FJ's all the time with no issues. If anything bugs me is when a diesel pickup (by itself) is in the RV lanes instead of using the other pumps. This happened one time where the truck broke down while exiting the RV lane.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas