Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #1

Gassers clearly second class at Flying J

I don't normally stop at Flying J's for gas. The prices are not very competitive and the lines are very slow. I have found that if there are RV gas bays, they are usually stacked up. It is easier just to go to whatever is across the road. However we were travelling with friends who wanted to stop at the Flying J at exit 52 on I-81 near Harrisburg PA. Never again! I found an available car bay and put my discount card in the pump slot and immediately got a "See cashier" message. Went in and waited 15 minutes in line. Showed my cards and cashier asked for the pump number. I responded "10, but if you check your window you can verify since it is the motorhome in the outside car lane." She insisted I go back out and verify myself. Got out of line, went to the front door, and saw the big "10" over my pump. Got back in line and 15 minutes later presented my cards again with a very clear "Pump 10." After running the discount card and then demanding a prepayment credit card amount, she made some sarcastic comments and then said that if I had run the credit card at the pump BEFORE the discount card, it would have gone through. I said that would be nice instructions to put on the pump! She then said that I should come back in after pumping gas to get my "real" receipt. Pumped gas and yes ... waited in line another 15 minutes to get my real receipt. I should mention that all this time she was having a good time talking with several different truckers. My friend who went into an RV fuel bay had exactly the same experience. I don't usually complain about things like this, but I simply have not had good experiences at Flying J's. Was this a unique experience for our two RVs or have others had the same problems? Do they really want to be for truckers only?

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #2

You checked your pump and then went to the back of the line? You must have more patience then me.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I stop almost exclusively at Flying J, because they have the RV islands and a small savings with a Good Sams card.

They only time I've had problems are busy holiday weekends, then it doesn't seem to makle any difference, the same problems at all the places.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #4

Flying J stations are at the top of my preferred list. I use the Pilot/FlyingJ app to plan my fuel stops as it shows prices and identifies those with RV lanes. Between my P/FJ discount card and the fact that my credit card company recognizes them as a "Gas station" and gives me additional cash-back rewards, I pay less than I would elsewhere. My motorhome also seems to give me better gas milage on FJ fuel than some of the competition (FWIW, BP seems to give me the worst) so I like the quality of the fuel and I very rarely (1 in 20 times) have to wait for an RV lane when the station has them (I don't drive on holidays).

My problem is with the PILOT stations! My experience is that 90% of the time a Pilot station will not have RV lanes and the car lanes are butted up too close and perpendicular to the front of the store to swing a 33' motorhome+dinghy easily, particularly the way some folks park their long-bed trucks in the parking spots in front of the store. While I usually manage to skillfully squeeze out of these challenging situations, the ONLY time that I have ever had to disconnect dinghy and back-up the RV to exit was at a Pilot station where you had to perform a 270 degree turn out of the fuel lane in a driveway that was only a fuel-lane wide. There was no way do go around the side and back of the store to exit as I had assumed when I quickly scoped out the situation prior to committing to entry.

When my Pilot/Flying J app does not present me with acceptable options en-route I use my Gas Buddy app to find a station with fuel brand and price that suits me.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So, go somewhere else, problem solved. We gave up on FJ's, Pilot and Loves years ago.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Used FJ for years with my 36' DP, very convenient . Mostly RV lanes for diesel or occasionally the Truck lanes. Seldom any confusion on the discount cards.
Now, after downsizing, Mercedes does not allow using Biodiesel exceeding 5% which negates refueling at Pilot, FJ or Loves, all of which are targeted at B20.
One consideration with diesel is to always use a station with a high volume turnover of the fuel, with those "major" suppliers off the list it's now a lot less certain what quality of fuel is available.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #7

I avoid any place that has the main cashier inside. Truck stop type places are always a hassle. Why waste your time if you own a gasser, you can pull up to any island at any regular station and fill up. No waiting for that one green hose or having to scan the islands to see if it has one, enjoy the benefit of having gas!!!
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
So, go somewhere else, problem solved. We gave up on FJ's, Pilot and Loves years ago.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:34 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We only stop at the Flying J's. I've had a problem at times of not getting a receipt at the pump and had to go in and get it. Not a problem for me. As far as the sequence at the pump for the cards, any I've seen have asked for what card first. Catering to the truckers? Well being the amount of fuel they purchase compared to the RV's I would say they show a preference that way but I've never been treated bad at any that I've been to. Busy? You bet at times.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:38 AM   #10

I almost never have a pleasant experience when dealing with their cashier people. They are generally overworked with long lines of stupid customers or truckers with complicated means of paying for whatever, and the cashiers seem to be poorly trained and very slow at get the job done, which may help explain the long lines. All that said, every FJ pump I have used in the last few years has a clearly worded instructions to insert your CC first and then your loyalty card. If I follow those instructions I rarely have to go stand in line, and won't if all I need is a receipt.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:46 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a gasser and use the Flying Js often and on the routes we drive we have never had a problem. We use the PenFed card so I have to swipe at the pump. Recently we stopped at a couple of different Speedways and find them very accessible for our 35ft gasser and their prices are as low as anyone.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:07 AM   #12

Just filled up at FJ on Labor Day. Pulled in behind a car at the pump and waited. After 10 minutes, a couple head to the car with their shopping bag. She gets in and begins eating fried chicken. He begins pumping gas until the auto shutoff clicks. He then keeps squeezing gas in while the shutoff keeps jerking the handle. He was watching the pump, evidently trying to reach the dollar amount he prepaid at the counter. When gas began dribbling down the car, he stopped and went back inside. Came back out in 10 minutes and drove off. Looked like he was more frustrated than I was.

We then pulled forward, swiped my credit card (with 5% cash rebate) and was out of there in another 10 minutes. I try to choose gas stations by convenience and price rather than brand. Obviously that doesn't always work rso well.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:17 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The only time I use the Pilot/Flying J is because we NEED fuel and have the Good Sam discount card... but we always use the truck lanes and truckers don't mind us, in fact, a couple have come up to chat and said they get behind rv's on purpose because they know we will be quicker than the trucks
1) we take less fuel
2) we usually pull out and go 'do our thing' back in the parking lot instead of going inside blocking the exits !

however,, I TRY to get an open lane since the truckers will pull up to go inside and pay but still block the exit and MAY be a while (in those long lines!)
Old 09-10-2015, 06:55 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have never had a 2nd class feeling at a "J".. Have had some where I think the person who layed out the RV islands must own a 15' Pickup with slide (I have a 38 foot A) but when worse comes to worst I can go to the auto island and gas up there. That is almost always RV friendly save from some jerk customers I've met.

As to running cards... Usually the pump asks for one card, if you read the display it will either ask for payment card or Loyality card.. Run that card and it asks for the other one.. Which one comes first may vary store to store.

Also sometimes the computer burps and simply does not want to work right.... I know the one you are reading this on has never done that, Right? (If you answer "right" in a normal tone of voice you have a future in politics,, If you answer in a sarcastic tone of voice (Meaning not in the last 30 seconds) you are an honest person and have NO future in politics).

Tags
class a, gas